Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swtor why did you reject it?

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
edited September 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Swtor had the classic themepark setup.
You hade well thought out quests
You had planet story arc.
You had personal class story
You had full voice acting and themes during the scenes.
You had the classic crafting
You had dungeons and raids ( yes I know it's not called that in swtor)
You had Battlegrounds (and scrapped world pvp)

How Is Swtor any different from the rest of the thempark games, yes the hype were epic, dunno what the hype was, I expected a classic themepark and the game did just that.

So what did everyone who didn't enjoy the game expected the game to be, why did it fail what was missing?
AlBQuirky

Comments

• kuratekurate Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Everyone left after they refused to do ranked pvp early in the game stage. now people have moved on
    NorseGod
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Maurgrim said:

How Is Swtor any different from the rest of the thempark games, yes the hype were epic, dunno what the hype was, I expected a classic themepark and the game did just that.

So what did everyone who didn't enjoy the game expected the game to be, why did it fail what was missing?
    It was (and is) totally on rails. You go from point a to point b on each planet then move on.

Very boring, more of the same MMO. This is, of course, my opinion, and not shared by many, I know at one point it was in the top ten popular MMO's.

kurate said:
    Everyone left after they refused to do ranked pvp early in the game stage. now people have moved on
    Not quite, it never had much of a following, but it was never dead either. PvP as an afterthought I doubt had much to do with it never becoming wildly popular.
    IkedaAlBQuirkyPhrycheeba

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    It was OK but heavily flawed at launch but by the time of the first expansion, Rise of the Hutt Cartel, they started fixing stuff and adding features and it got pretty good. The gameplay was good, the dungeons and raids were good and had some unique mechanics and the writing was alright.

But, then, Shadow of Revan kind of scaled back the MMO aspects a bit and put more emphasis on the story and then KotFE happened and I was out. I came back briefly for KotET but what I liked about the gameplay from launch and first expansions was too diminished in favor of more story content. I watched the story on YouTube and was done with it.

I get that SWTOR obviously isnt a high priority for BioWare and the budget is probably minuscule at this point but sacrificing gameplay is never the answer.

I dont know, its been a while since I last played. Maybe I should give it another chance soon.
  • KryalisKryalis Member UncommonPosts: 30
    No meaningful end game (at least initially). By the time raiding wasn't an absolute dumpster fire guild had already quit.

I quite like it as a single player game. Although a bad burning on the loot boxes zero'd my spending on it a good while back.

Launch was terrible, and I really wish they'd used a better looking engine.
    psychosiz1Beezerbeez
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    well.... 

a) force users and bounty hunters jumping 50 centimeter? impressive ^^
    b) when they went free 2 play and actually sold bloody hotbars for RL money.... that was quite a statement
    c) raid "difficulty": normal: normal. hard: add more health to bosses! no actual shit  given from the devs here.

it was fun to play casual, the story and world was okai, but they end at a certain point.

they surely had some good ideas but the missing immersion and change of the classes to fit THEIR world and not star wars kinda broke it for me. if it sais star wars, let it be star wars, and not world of star(wars)craft

ever seen how the jedis moved in the movies? well, i did ^^ you don't simply take star wars and cramp it into the formular you think sells best.
    AlBQuirkyHatefull

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    EA
    Blaze_Rockerjonp200PalebaneQuizzicalgunklackerHatefullAdamantine
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited September 2019
    Say what you want about the gameplay but they changed MMOs forever with having it be fully voiced, even your toon speaks. The class stories are some of the best in MMO history...each class story would have been a good sw film. This was also the last game from the "good" bioware. 

Personally I think they should do a console release its perfect for that. 

I still sub to the game even though i don't play anymore, only to check out new xpacs. If you havent played yet definitely do so, it's a good game even though the f2p is a little bit harsh, you still get to do all the content for free. 

sumdumguy1ultimateduckpsychosiz1Gorwecheebaalkarionlog
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Great story and class quests but being constantly guided in narrow playable corridors with environment you could see but not enter really destroyed any chance they had of selling the feeling of being in worlds.

Anyone who played the Mass Effect series knows where those restricted corridors came from.
    AlBQuirkyalkarionlog
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    SWTOR was a bit too much quest on rails for my tastes.   I ended up doing everything on the planet, or skipping the planet entirely.  The individual story lines were of variable quality, some good, some bad.  None really stood out for me.  The housing was almost an afterthought, and I never really got into it.  The voice acting was unwanted in most places, they could have saved themselves a lot of money and effort by leaving this feature out.

I came along relatively late to SWTOR, so it was more difficult to find groups for instances than it may have been in the game's earlier days.  The players were into speed rushing these bits while I was trying to learn what to do.  After a couple of less than stellar attempts (and more than my fill of "Hurry up, Mendel" from impatient party members), I didn't bother with the instances any more.  Lag, when it occurred. managed to get me left behind with no idea where to go on more than one occasion.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Its funny you address this as if its a failure.  It has one of the largest subscriber bases in any mmo.  Two weeks ago I was rolled over to the 5th instance on the second planet of the game.  That's a pretty healthy player base for the game.  With a new expansion coming out in October and new movie in December, it will very likely get many players to come back as well as many players.  
    NorseGodklash2defMaddog666Huntrezzpsychosiz1Gorwealkarionlog
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Character models are outdated don't look that great.
    Customization, and cash shop cosmetics suck.

My two reasons, BDO on the other hand can get tiresome but the cosmetics and cash shop is great.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    I still play off and on and give them a plus for making the expansions F2p now too, so you don't have to stop once you finish your class story quests.

But my big hang up with the game is how the planet maps are laid out.  Instead of being one big map like SWG, LotRO etc... are, it's all broken up in these smaller areas that you have to port to and fro on to get to the quests.  You spend more time moving to a transfer point to jump maps than actually doing the quests.
    AlBQuirky

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    For myself, I more abandoned it than rejected it.  I remember getting into swtor by buying it off of Amazon with some package deal which I thought was a good value for what it cost & offered.  I enjoyed the game greatly while I leveled up my characters thoroughly enjoying the stories for each class.  I continued to enjoy swtor for over a year, maybe year & a half, & after my subscription ended with the package deal & continued subscribing because I was enjoying it.  I knocked it up to just bad timing but my first big disincentive happened right after I had collected & used enough of those marks/tokens to get my companions all geared up & how I wanted them & then they changed that mechanic so my month or so effort was all for not & a waste.  After that incident I soon stopped subscribing & just played as a Preferred.  I've never been a fan of their gambling system, besides their prices are pretty inflated, nor do I participate much in the PvP features.  I enjoy the occasional raiding but prefer soloable content since it is more reliable & that became more scarce as higher level it seemed.  After a few months as Preferred playing I played less & less to now I just play maybe a couple/few hours a month.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    edited September 2019
    I thought it was a pretty good game. I just lost people to play with and hate leaving quest behind because they require 2+ people. It's very much on rails and kinda forces you to play alone most of the time given the nature of how you get quests.

AlBQuirkyfoppotee
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I am a huge star wars fan and liked the stories, but I hated the way questing was especially inside quests.  You ran to a point killed whatever, back to quest giver who gave you another quest just a little past where previous quest was so you had to fight through all the same mobs again, back to quest giver, go a bit further etc etc.....Those quests were extremely annoying and I wish the game was a bit more open world in general. 
    AlBQuirkyArglebargle
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    It was/is a solid MMO that does a decent job of feeling very Star Wars. With that said the game to me was wayyyy to linear in design when it came to some of the maps, I felt very Rat in a maze like. I don't know what it is about the game but i always seem to run out of steam around level 40ish. I'v tried to level several different toons through the years and all of them I quit around that time.

And too much unnecessary running, For christ sake , wayy to much running. Alot of stupid filler 
    AlBQuirkyfoppotee
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    edited September 2019
    I am not sure why, but I am convinced "Hurry up Mendel!" needs to become a meme.  It has win written all over it.

Mendel
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Another one of the major issue was the game engine - they scrapped Illum world pvp becaause the modified Hero engine wasn't able to handle that many people in the same zone.

Also, zone was quite transversal restrictive and in some cases instanced.

It was just not well conceived overall.
    foppotee
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Maurgrim said:

Many others have pointed out how exploration was a non-entity in this game. You went along narrow corridors and met what the devs wanted you to meet. These weren't even close to being "planets", barely passing as zones (literally defined).

Crafting was also a miss for me. I want my player to be the crafter, not my NPC buddies. This feature was well received by most players, though, who didn't want to "waste time" with crafting. I can understand this. Send the NPCs off for crafting and then go do missions while they work. Makes sense ;)

SW:TOR was one of the last MMOs I beta tested (TES:O being the last one) and the players comments were ignored during testing. Granted, the game was already waiting to be released (beta test, not alpha test) so not a lot of core mechanics could be addressed like the corridors. I never did make it past the beta test. When SW:TOR released, I found other games to occupy my time ;)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Its funny you address this as if its a failure.  It has one of the largest subscriber bases in any mmo.  Two weeks ago I was rolled over to the 5th instance on the second planet of the game.  That's a pretty healthy player base for the game.  With a new expansion coming out in October and new movie in December, it will very likely get many players to come back as well as many players.  
    So... You didn't reject it?
    NorseGod

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    All the good looking stuff in the cash shop.
    foppotee
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I still play from time to time.  I was surprised at how populated the game was the last time I played.  Its one of those games I come back to and play for a month or two and get my fix. I admit I enjoy playing this game when I do play it.
  • zeroscloudzeroscloud Member UncommonPosts: 53
    cause it was a single player rpg pretending to be a mmorpg.  It felt really empty even when you had a lot of people at the markets and stuff. 
    DibdabsMendelAlBQuirkyAgent_Joseph
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I quit because it felt like a single player game.

Other mmos out there were just better mmos for me.

It had great story, voice acting, and such... but that is all 2ndary for me when it comes to mmos you have to have more then that. The game was just not made for what I look for in mmos.
    zeroscloudAlBQuirkyAgent_Joseph