Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

delete

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    MaxBacon said:
    At last :) 

I'm not sure it deserves the "The fact is, that after all these years there still isn't anywhere near other game capable to deliver what SC goes for in this genre, none of the similar ones wants to be a persistent MP game, that has and will continue standing the relevance and the support for this game, despite unfinished." claim but at least we have something now which is better than nothing I guess.

I tried to explain but at least at the end, you understood what I meant even if you don't agree with it.
    I'm going to let that slide because I honestly don't know if you're being an asshole or if it's just because English is not your primary language :)

There is a lot of difference between what the quoted text means and that single example you eventually got around to giving.
    NorseGod
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited August 2019
    I'm going to let that slide because I honestly don't know if you're being an asshole or if it's just because English is not your primary language :)

There is a lot of difference between what the quoted text means and that single example you eventually got around to giving.
    I don't commonly have a problem as such but on this one, I was wondering if I am writing something wrong and I read what I said to myself and it made sense to me. 
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    MaxBacon said:

I don't commonly have a problem as such but on this one, I was wondering if I am writing something wrong and I read what I said to myself and it made sense to me. 
    So in the future if people are repeatedly asking for more detail perhaps it would be better to ask what sort of details they are referring to instead of doubling down and accusing them of being stupid.
    NorseGod
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    MaxBacon said:
    Alot of people think they make sense to themselves. 
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Too much Sunk Cost Posting and not enough Fallacy going around here tbh :D
    Phaserlight
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Yes, out of all people,  Babsy is going to give you all a lesson on posting and fallacy guys.

Listen up.

Babuinix

..Cake..

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited September 2019
    The list of unique (or, certainly, extremely rare) features and advanced technology for Star Citizen is very long, and it would be an exhaustive process to actually write them down.

At the end of the day, most of them are about taking established gameplay paradigms and space games to the next level, rather than creating some kind of gameplay revolution.

It's just that the "next level" in terms of fidelity and sophistication is SO much higher than anything else on the market, no matter what platform or genre you're talking about.

Sure, you could probably take most of these features in Star Citizen, and point out that one or two of them already exist in some modern game, but you will absolutely not be able to find a game that has anywhere NEAR all of them, and I doubt you can find a single game with the same feature done to as high a level.

Whether that's interesting or not would depend on how much you care about the genre, and how much you care about feature evolution.

I mean, you could argue that Doom and whatever the latest singleplayer FPS you like is called - are the same game.

In that way, Star Citizen is very similar to other space MMOs on a surface level. Well, except that it looks better.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    DKLond said:
    The list of unique (or, certainly, extremely rare) features and advanced technology for Star Citizen is very long, and it would be an exhaustive process to actually write them down.

At the end of the day, most of them are about taking established gameplay paradigms and space games to the next level, rather than creating some kind of gameplay revolution.

It's just that the "next level" in terms of fidelity and sophistication is SO much higher than anything else on the market, no matter what platform or genre you're talking about.

Sure, you could probably take most of these features in Star Citizen, and point out that one or two of them already exist in some modern game, but you will absolutely not be able to find a game that has anywhere NEAR all of them, and I doubt you can find a single game with the same feature done to as high a level.

Whether that's interesting or not would depend on how much you care about the genre, and how much you care about feature evolution.

I mean, you could argue that Doom and whatever the latest singleplayer FPS you like is called - are the same game.

In that way, Star Citizen is very similar to other space MMOs on a surface level. Well, except that it looks better.
    thats what you guys dont understand the ones that dont exist STILL dont exist. No matter how much money or time gets thrown at them theyre also likely to never exist. Thats the point. Chris Roberts is the main perpetrator of 'sunk cost fallacy'. Except his livelihood and lifestyle is base don bilking people who are dreamers out of as much money as he can get from them while still promising to deliver something. 

If he could have delivered something even viable enough to make more money that the perpetual fund raising campaign he has been on the past 7 years he would have. THATS how incomplete this thing is at this point. He hasnt even reached that infamous 'minimum viable product' level yet and how long ago was it he said that?

When they think they can deliver something that will make them more money than theyre making now they will.

SQ 42 is the lynch pin. Thats a 'simple' single player portion of all this. And even that has been getting delayed and features removed or pushed back. What was the original timeline on the release of that again?
    edited September 2019
    Sure, "us guys" don't understand.

I get it - you understand, but "us guys" don't understand.

Again, you make a persuasive argument. It's truly compelling. I'll just ignore everything I actually know and the game I'm playing - because it's all a con.

I mean, the game has been delayed a lot, right? Games are never delayed. "Us guys" are certainly claiming there are no delays, right?

It's all going according to plan - is what we're saying, right?

Thank you again!
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    It's basicaly just another variant of the 90daysTop meme lol

Every year we get the same folks parroting the same imminent doomsday and collapse of star citizen making up some ridiculous theories along the way to back it up.

Meanwhile Star Citizen keeps improoving with regular updates, making millions in the process while more and more backers join the fun.

Rinse & Repeat  :D
    DKLond
    That doesn't seem to be what the discussion has been about, but feel free to try and sweep everything under one rug so as to not acknowledge any of it.
    NorseGodKefo
    Limnic said:
    That doesn't seem to be what the discussion has been about, but feel free to try and sweep everything under one rug so as to not acknowledge any of it.
    What has the "discussion" been about? What I'm seeing is a bunch of entrenched positions that wouldn't budge if they were hit by a cement truck.

There's no truth to establish here, because we're talking about a game that's still in development. No one can actually know if it's going to end up being any good.

We can have our opinions, but I think it's pretty clear that this place isn't about the exchange of opinions.
    DKLond said:
    Limnic said:
    What has the "discussion" been about? What I'm seeing is a bunch of entrenched positions that wouldn't budge if they were hit by a cement truck.

There's no truth to establish here, because we're talking about a game that's still in development. No one can actually know if it's going to end up being any good.

We can have our opinions, but I think it's pretty clear that this place isn't about the exchange of opinions.
    Point in case, as this thread was not about what the game might end up being, but the tipping point for those that have become fed up with some element(s) during the wait/development.

And there has been objective elements brought up, just going back a couple pages should net you a post with a list.

And sharing opinions really depends on the behavior of those trying to pose counterargument to the original point of the thread. Are we allowed to have a opinion that's not all sunshine and roses without the regular thought police trying to beat it all down and slap the same dismissive generalizations they post everywhere else?
    NorseGodKefo
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    DKLond said:

Could you list 3 things that are unique to star citizen without mentioning graphics or fidelity that currently exist IN the game for me please? Theoretical and planned elements don’t count
    PhaserlightNorseGod
    edited September 2019
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:

Could you list 3 things that are unique to star citizen without mentioning graphics or fidelity that currently exist IN the game for me please? Theoretical and planned elements don’t count
    I can't guarentee that they're unique, as I don't know all games in the universe.

Here are 3 things that I consider very rare, if not unique - that are already in the game:

100% unified 1P/3P camera perspectives. The only other game that does this that I'm aware of is Arma - and that implementation is inferior.

Multiple independent physics grids co-existing within the same space.

FOIP

DKLond said:
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:

I can't guarentee that they're unique, as I don't know all games in the universe.

Here are 3 things that I consider very rare, if not unique - that are already in the game:

100% unified 1P/3P camera perspectives. The only other game that does this that I'm aware of is Arma - and that implementation is inferior.

FOIP

You just said you can’t guarantee they are unique and you also gave an example of another game that does it. Am I being trolled or are star citizen fans really trying to change what the meaning of unique means?

I’ll ask again can you list 3 things that are unique to star citizen without mentioning graphics or fidelity and that currently exist in the game?
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    DKLond said:

100% unified 1P/3P camera perspectives.

What does this mean, even?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited December 2019

Post edited by NorseGod on
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    DKLond said:

It means you can switch between first and third person camera angles.
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:

FOIP

You just said you can’t guarantee they are unique and you also gave an example of another game that does it. Am I being trolled or are star citizen fans really trying to change what the meaning of unique means?

I’ll ask again can you list 3 things that are unique to star citizen without mentioning graphics or fidelity and that currently exist in the game?
    As I've said several times already, these features are not necessarily unique.

There's no way to know if they are or not, unless you know every game in existence.

But I do know that they're very rare - because I haven't seen them anywhere else (or, a few of them only in one or two games), and I've been following the industry for many, many years, and I've personally played thousands of games.

So, you can ask for something I've never claimed Star Citizen has - but it has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

The unique nature of Star Citizen is about the amount of unique and/or rare features it combines into the overall structure of the game - and how much it represents a combined evolution of the space sim.

Maybe YOU can tell me where these features exist in other games?

NorseGod
    edited September 2019
    DKLond said:

It means there's no cheating involved with the two camera perspectives.

In almost all other games, they have to change animations and they can't actually show other players exactly what one player is doing - because they don't have all the animations that happen in first person, to show in third person.

That's why the majority of first person games don't actually show the player his/her body when they're looking down, because it's a major hassle to line up all the animations to look right. Also, most games that DO have a body visible in first person, have to do a lot of cheating to make it work and look right. Also, why bother creating a full body when no one except the player can see it?

You can't simply place cameras and expect animations to look right in both perspectives, because there will be tons of weird angles and clipping going on.

So, whatever it is a player is doing in Star Citizen - whether he's using first or third person perspective, all other players around him will see exactly the same thing as the player sees.

Like, for instance, if you sit down in a ship and you start pushing buttons or grab the control stick, that's what other players will see you doing.

That's not usually something games bother to properly animate in third person, because it's extremely expensive (in terms of time) to set up the cameras and rig the animations for it.

You can ask yourself why this is important for the game, and it's the kind of thing you won't understand until you actually start playing it.

In your average MMO, you will often play with people who suddenly stand still, for no apparent reason. You can't actually see them interacting with their interface - and you can't actually see what they're doing.

Some modern MMOs have implemented a number of features similar to this, like pulling out a map when a player is looking at his map - so other players are aware, but they don't show everything.

In Star Citizen, you can tell exactly what someone is doing just by looking at them. You can even see emotional expressions in the face when talking to a player, which will help communication, just like body and facial expressions help communication in real life.

Ultimately, it's about immersion and removing as many "gamey" barriers as possible.

Star Citizen is NOT a game for people who're not looking to immerse themselves and get lost in the world.

NorseGod
    DKLond said:
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:

FOIP

There's no way to know if they are or not, unless you know every game in existence.

But I do know that they're very rare - because I haven't seen them anywhere else (or, a few of them only in one or two games), and I've been following the industry for many, many years, and I've personally played thousands of games.

So, you can ask for something I've never claimed Star Citizen has - but it has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

The unique nature of Star Citizen is about the amount of unique and/or rare features it combines into the overall structure of the game - and how much it represents a combined evolution of the space sim.

You made the claim in your original post that the list of unique (or certainly, extremely rare) is very long so I simply asked for 3 of them from this very long list.

now you’re trying to move the goalposts by saying it’s about the amount of unique and/or rare features combined within one game and the cherry on top is you’re trying to flip the table and have me tell you where the features exist in other games. I didn’t make the claim, you did so the burden of proof is on you.

I swear you must have the star citizen internet defence manual open in front of you right now and are going through it step by step. Make grand claim, when called out on it, move goalposts and attempt to turn table on other person
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited September 2019
    Kefo said:

**snip**

I swear you must have the star citizen internet defence manual open in front of you right now and are going through it step by step.

**snip
    Unlikely.

Most of us are busy enjoying to play an Alpha version of a game that is getting better and better with each new version.

Have fun
    DKLond
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:

FOIP

You made the claim in your original post that the list of unique (or certainly, extremely rare) is very long so I simply asked for 3 of them from this very long list.

now you’re trying to move the goalposts by saying it’s about the amount of unique and/or rare features combined within one game and the cherry on top is you’re trying to flip the table and have me tell you where the features exist in other games. I didn’t make the claim, you did so the burden of proof is on you.

I swear you must have the star citizen internet defence manual open in front of you right now and are going through it step by step. Make grand claim, when called out on it, move goalposts and attempt to turn table on other person
    No, I'm not responsible for what you imagine I said. Your imaginary goalposts can't be moved by me.

I can only be responsible for what I actually say.

You just repeated it. They're unique OR extremely rare.

Do you know what "or" means?

I gave you three examples.

Most of the features I'm talking about may well be unique as well as extremely rare, I just can't make that claim with certainty which is why I added the "or" - because I'm the sort of person who prefers knowing before claiming to know.

So, yeah, I think a lot of them ARE unique, based on my experience. I just don't know with absolute certainty. There are also games in development that we don't even know about - so establishing features as entirely unique is all but impossible. They still CAN be, though.

But you didn't answer my question. Can you give me examples of other games using these features?
    DKLond said:
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:
    Kefo said:

FOIP

No, I'm not responsible for what you imagine I said. Your imaginary goalposts can't be moved by me.

I can only be responsible for what I actually say.

You just repeated it. They're unique OR extremely rare.

Do you know what "or" means?

I gave you three examples.

Most of the features I'm talking about may well be unique as well as extremely rare, I just can't make that claim with certainty which is why I added the "or" - because I'm the sort of person who prefers knowing before claiming to know.

So, yeah, I think a lot of them ARE unique, based on my experience. I just don't know with absolute certainty. There are also games in development that we don't even know about - so establishing features as entirely unique is all but impossible. They still CAN be, though.

But you didn't answer my question. Can you give me examples of other games using these features?
    You did say unique or extremely rare and I asked for unique. I don’t care about extremely rare things but I want unique to star citizen hence why I asked it.

And please don’t try and weasel out by saying “There are also games in development that we don’t even know about - so establishing features as entirely unique is all but impossible” as that’s a cop out. If we don’t know about it then it’s irrelevant to the discussion at this exact point in time. 

And if you’re going to make the claim then you better back it up and not try to change the argument cause you are backed into a corner.

I actually don’t have to answer your question because I didn’t make the claim. I just wanted to know of 3 that are unique to star citizen. You gave 3 but disqualified one so I’m still waiting.