Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dutch Auction

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
edited August 2019 in Chronicles of Elyria
So they announced the details of the Dutch Auction (Settlers Of Elyria) last night.  This includes the prices for the unclaimed virtual land:

• Settlements: $65.00 to $135.00
  • Counties: $350.00 to $650.00
  • Duchies: $650.00 to $1,350.00
  • Nirath: $3,500.00
Also note that those costs are only if you already have the correct package level.  If not you get to keep buying the “upgrades” that come before:
  • You cannot “leap frog” past your current package level without upgrading to the level above yours first. For example, if you as a Bloodline package holder want to purchase a county, the cost of upgrading to a mayor – which makes the purchase of the county possible for you -- will be included in the price that you pay. The exact cost will vary depending on which settlements and domains you pick as you make your purchase, so any discounts attached to those choices will still apply in the final price you see at checkout.

Thoughts?  To me, these guys are just a few steps behind Star Citizen when it comes to selling jpegs and virtual land for a game not even in Alpha.  But at least Star Citizen has allowed people into their game for years and has “free fly” events.  More and more this is reminding me of Revival.  https://massivelyop.com/2016/03/24/revivals-development-has-been-indefinitely-suspended/ That game shares the same lead designer and similarly pre-sold property before eventually going belly-up.

Anyone here actually going to put money into this sales event?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Gdemami

Comments

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    edited August 2019
    So they announced the details of the Dutch Auction (Settlers Of Elyria) last night.  This includes the prices for the unclaimed virtual land:

Also note that those costs are only if you already have the correct package level.  If not you get to keep buying the “upgrades” that come before:
    • You cannot “leap frog” past your current package level without upgrading to the level above yours first. For example, if you as a Bloodline package holder want to purchase a county, the cost of upgrading to a mayor – which makes the purchase of the county possible for you -- will be included in the price that you pay. The exact cost will vary depending on which settlements and domains you pick as you make your purchase, so any discounts attached to those choices will still apply in the final price you see at checkout.

Thoughts?  To me, these guys are just a few steps behind Star Citizen when it comes to selling jpegs and virtual land for a game not even in Alpha.  But at least Star Citizen has allowed people into their game for years and has “free fly” events.  More and more this is reminding me of Revival.  https://massivelyop.com/2016/03/24/revivals-development-has-been-indefinitely-suspended/ That game shares the same lead designer and similarly pre-sold property before eventually going belly-up.

Me me me, I can't wait....
    Er
    second thought I've wasted far too much money already.

Btw seems that I haven't spend enough, I backed from the first week of Kickstarter and I'm one of the last to pick my barony (we wait sorry. I meant hamlet with 2 parcels of land.)

P.S.
    Full disclosure the towns that were promised were approx 20 parcels big. But hey I'm still getting what was promised. Honest
    Gdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    AnOldFart said:

Er

Btw seems that I haven't spend enough, I backed from the first week of Kickstarter and I'm one of the last to pick my barony (we wait sorry. I meant hamlet with 2 parcels of land.)

P.S.
    Full disclosure the towns that were promised were approx 20 parcels big. But hey I'm still getting what was promised. Honest
    So they promised 20 parcels.  What did you get?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    I will be buying another mayor title, from the store that is. Not waiting for this reverse auction. Got credit just sitting in my account, so may as well spend it. I am honestly shocked at how cheap those prices are. 3.5k for a kingdom? That's nearly a 3rd of the price. While it could go for 45% off, truly unlikely of course. But that's insane. Duke is even better. Yet count/mayor are on the pricey side. 

People can say whatever they want about earlier packages getting more stuff. But I would honestly be pissed as a duke+ seeing that come up. The difference could be spent on straight EP and you have a better deal.
    Torrsk said:
    I will be buying another mayor title, from the store that is. Not waiting for this reverse auction. Got credit just sitting in my account, so may as well spend it. I am honestly shocked at how cheap those prices are. 3.5k for a kingdom? That's nearly a 3rd of the price. While it could go for 45% off, truly unlikely of course. But that's insane. Duke is even better. Yet count/mayor are on the pricey side. 

People can say whatever they want about earlier packages getting more stuff. But I would honestly be pissed as a duke+ seeing that come up. The difference could be spent on straight EP and you have a better deal.
    THIS is why I have no doubt that his DSS and Dutch Auction will raise a ton of money.

Gdemami

AnOldFart said:

Er

P.S.
    2-3, maybe 5 if I am lucky
    AnOldFart said:
    AnOldFart said:

Er

P.S.
    2-3, maybe 5 if I am lucky
    Wow.. that is crazy.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited August 2019
    You missed sharing a key "limitation & proviso" being they are going to let NPC characters bid in the auction as well.

"However, there is one thing to be aware of: During Settlers of Elyria, some domains and settlements may be claimed by NPCs active in each server, as we reserve domains and settlements to use in future events and promotions, or to ensure that at least some domains remain NPC controlled at launch. These reservations won't affect pricing of any other domains or settlements, but they will impact which domains and settlements are available to you, so please be aware that this can and will occur."

My guess is they won't let certain parcels drop below a minimum price before a "NPC" decides to jump in and take it rather than let it go for too little.

Slapshot1188anemoAnOldFartGdemamiScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    This is why I have no faith in gaming anymore. Between idiots who keep gaming in a constant development cycle that wont end, just like Star Citizen and SJW ruining creativity. Its just making things no fun anymore.
    GdemamiScottweedledumb99
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    such a scam.  cash grab.  
    Gdemami

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Asm0deus said:
    Color me unsurprised, another bait and switch con and more to come for sure.  lmao

This game always reminds me of Illfonics and Revival..lol

Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Kyleran said:
    You missed sharing a key "limitation & proviso" being they are going to let NPC characters bid in the auction as well.

"However, there is one thing to be aware of: During Settlers of Elyria, some domains and settlements may be claimed by NPCs active in each server, as we reserve domains and settlements to use in future events and promotions, or to ensure that at least some domains remain NPC controlled at launch. These reservations won't affect pricing of any other domains or settlements, but they will impact which domains and settlements are available to you, so please be aware that this can and will occur."

My guess is they won't let certain parcels drop below a minimum price before a "NPC" decides to jump in and take it rather than let it go for too little.

Wow... what a slimy thing to do.    These guys may get an F for actual game development but I have to give them an A for repeatedly squeezing blood from a stone and raising cash.  I certainly have no idea how they get people to keep giving them money but as seen in this very thread... what they are doing is working.

Gdemami

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Slapshot1188 said:
    THIS is why I have no doubt that his DSS and Dutch Auction will raise a ton of money.

I was meaning I got a bunch of store credit, for being active on the forums. Enough to buy mayor title outright. So really it wouldn't cost me anything. Was throwing around the idea of buying another county. But I stop supporting them with money ages back, until I started to see real progress getting made. Which DSS doesn't fall under. So will probably skip on spending anything. Unless this promo has something truly awesome.
    edited September 2019
    Kyleran said:

Wow... what a slimy thing to do.    These guys may get an F for actual game development but I have to give them an A for repeatedly squeezing blood from a stone and raising cash.  I certainly have no idea how they get people to keep giving them money but as seen in this very thread... what they are doing is working.

This stinks it's simply:

"Discounted up to 45% off (unless it's not what we want and then you lose it for waiting too long)"
    Gdemami
    edited September 2019
    Torrsk said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

I was meaning I got a bunch of store credit, for being active on the forums. Enough to buy mayor title outright. So really it wouldn't cost me anything. Was throwing around the idea of buying another county. But I stop supporting them with money ages back, until I started to see real progress getting made. Which DSS doesn't fall under. So will probably skip on spending anything. Unless this promo has something truly awesome.
    I get that, but it’s the idea that in any way this is a “good deal”. I also get the draw.  I really do.  I still look at every Kickstarter with an impulse to get in and get a “great deal” even though I should (and do) know better by now.  So I do not underestimate that pull and that is why I believe he is going to make a ton of money selling virtual land stakes at a “discount” to people and then even more money selling “points” to further customize that land and buy other advantages like boats, resources, etc...

The idea that you are getting something for significantly less than someone else (either has paid or will pay in the future) has been driving sales for centuries.  It’s just that those sales used to be for something tangible.  He’s figured out how to get people to feel the same about his virtual land rush. Limited time "sales", limited virtual spaces, various types of spaces (get yours before someone take the town and you have a village), NPCs randomly bidding and taking PCs in the DSS, Exposition Points (the virtual currency to buy upgrades and resources) on "sale" for a limited time...  Even his "Legendary" POIs like Taverns that he is selling.

All designed to generate a FOMO mentality and all have proven quite effective as he has squeezed out a tremendous amount of money from a relatively small player base.  
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    GdemamiScot

• DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I have wasted too much money on CoE already. :(
    Will pick my stronghold .. err I mean that shack with two sticks and a clay sentry figure and pretend to be satisfied. 
    Not having too much hope that they will release anything playable.

I guess it is time to buy few things from Blizzard store for the WoW 15y and get that classic leveling up to the speed.
  • TekkonTekkon Member UncommonPosts: 27
    edited September 2019

@AnOldFart, how many parcels did you get?

And when did you get them?

Tekkon said:

I got the mayor pack, it was promised a town during the Kickstarter.
    Now I'm going to end up with a hamlet.

Town 25 parcels minimum
    Hamlet 6-9 (for the one I am looking at)

But hey SBS say I'll still own a majority...

So instead of 10-15 parcels I will personally own I get 3-5
    Scot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    So the land does not have a Monarch yet, they are selling Nirath? I wonder if that's going to go to an NPC. Barmy. :D
    edited September 2019
    AnOldFart said:
    Tekkon said:

Town 25 parcels minimum

Sounds fair.  Everyone who bought that package got the same rewards right?

Just that some got more than others.. but other than that... the same.
     ;) 
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    Kyleran

edited September 2019
    AnOldFart said:
    Tekkon said:

Town 25 parcels minimum

Sounds fair.  Everyone who bout that package got the same rewards right?

;) 
    Yep we all get the same, just that it's called a different name, has more plots and more population.   :D

But you know Caspian...
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    edited September 2019
    AnOldFart said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Tekkon said:

Town 25 parcels minimum

;) 
    Yep we all get the same, just that it's called a different name, has more plots and more population.   :D

Exactly the same, but completely different.  :)

DerryFH

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    AnOldFart said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Tekkon said:

Town 25 parcels minimum

;) 

Exactly the same, but completely different.  :)

They bought a Town/Stronghold but received neither a town nor a stronghold... and somehow people are OK with that and giving the company behind it MORE money to upgrade to the actual Town they previously bought.

Simply mind-boggling.

Kyleran

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2019
    Truly a most "resilient" player base, mgmt can do no wrong by most of them, as long as the dream is kept alive I guess.
    Post edited by Kyleran on

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    edited September 2019
    Lol, this is beyond spitting in your face, they've basically taken the wife and kids and are offering to sell them back to you
    Post edited by OrangeBoy on
    AnOldFartDerryFH