Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next MMORPG to die?

What do you think the best MMORPG of note that will shutter? Or do you think it will be an stillborn MMORPG coming up sooner?

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Star Trek Online. 

Just a guess, based on my surprise it still exists.
    MendelanemoDeddmeatpsychosiz1

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Arterius said:
    CoE if it has to be a MMO that is out I would say some Korean MMO that we all thought was closed forever ago.
    I don't think CoE will shut down yet.  There's entirely too many people willing to give them money still.  A better question is "will it launch before it closes?"  There's just not enough public information to put reliable odds on that one.

Throw a dart at any daybreak MMOs.

That was easy
    EQ2 might go before EQ1, but both seem to be on rather solid grounds.  Maybe their superhero game, DCUO, if I had to guess.

Amathe said:
    Star Trek Online. 

Just a guess, based on my surprise it still exists.
    STO closing down wouldn't surprise me.  It still has a healthy population, but I think there might be a better use for that IP.  (Read: someone who would pay more for that IP).

----------
    My own guess might be PWI.  It's been around a long, long time, and their map design has restricted PWE from expanding it for an equally long time.  Good game, awfully grindy, even some decent writing in places.  However, even PWE could do better these days.  It would be difficult to kill the cash cow, though.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    DMKano said:
    Defiance
    Rift
    Trove

Take your pick
    Oh my! I can't remember when I've seen anything for Defiance. I'll go with that one. Which is sad because I'm sure there are people playing it who love it.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Sovrath said:
    DMKano said:
    Defiance
    Rift
    Trove

Take your pick
    Oh my! I can't remember when I've seen anything for Defiance. I'll go with that one. Which is sad because I'm sure there are people playing it who love it.
      was ok I guess? problem is as long you had a good weapon you could kill down everything, the selling point was the game would be linked with the live season, and they did some mix, like in a quest in the game the main dude stole a item from us who was hired to get, and then they used said item on the series, but not even the serie is a live sooo
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Shroud of the Avatar. Calling to no one's surprise.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Aeander[Deleted User]kenguru23mmolou
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    There's so many near-empty MMOs out there that it'd be impossible to choose.  There's probably a few hundred to choose from.

But given the recent goings-on with DBG, I'm guessing we'll soon see something closing down or changing hands in their collection.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited August 2019
    Bless Online, the next AAA budget WoW clone to die. It will be terminated on September 9th.
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited August 2019
    The Repopulation. Oh wait you said MMO of note.  Seriously though that game’s lack of progress frustrates me.

@Baalzharon is correct that a Daybreak MMO is probably next on the chopping block. 

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    DMKano said:
    Defiance
    Rift
    Trove

Take your pick
    those still alive?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
               GW2
  • DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Defiance 2050 i think they remade Defiance to, same story, bit better graphics 

Regarding topic tho .. mmo's rarely die, they just linger, on and on and on and .. well you get the drift.

Almost every mmo has the 'x is closing down soon' drama from some then surprise, it just never happens.

Even CoH is still available to play, sure it shutdown but some managed to get it up and running again.

• sarbonnsarbonn Member UncommonPosts: 119
    The death of an MMO is always a sad thing for those who play it (and even those who used to play it). I was there for the death of City of Heroes/Villains and that was a truly sad moment in gaming history. I was also there for the death of Star Wars Galaxies, and, again, that was a truly sad moment.

I had only left Tabula Rasa for a few months before it closed its doors, and I felt really bad about that one as well.

Some that I'm surprised are still around:

Everquest I & II
    Star Wars The Old Republic
    Ultima Online
    Guild Wars

I currently play Shroud of the Avatar. I like it, but it's lower in numbers than I wish it was. It has so much potential, but the developers kind of tried too hard to monetize it so that I can't see any direction for it but down, unless they rush in and start to do something to separate the monetization factor from the game, and thus, bring in players again. But it's fun. Sadly so.
    psychosiz1
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited August 2019
    sarbonn said:
    The death of an MMO is always a sad thing for those who play it (and even those who used to play it). I was there for the death of City of Heroes/Villains and that was a truly sad moment in gaming history. I was also there for the death of Star Wars Galaxies, and, again, that was a truly sad moment.

I had only left Tabula Rasa for a few months before it closed its doors, and I felt really bad about that one as well.

Some that I'm surprised are still around:

Everquest I & II
    Star Wars The Old Republic
    Ultima Online
    Guild Wars

I currently play Shroud of the Avatar. I like it, but it's lower in numbers than I wish it was. It has so much potential, but the developers kind of tried too hard to monetize it so that I can't see any direction for it but down, unless they rush in and start to do something to separate the monetization factor from the game, and thus, bring in players again. But it's fun. Sadly so.

Star Wars the old republic has one of the highest sub populations in all mmo's.  The sub numbers on from their end of the fiscal year was a surprise to many people.  They also have a very large healthy population in starter zones and a few planets above on a regular basis. Two weeks ago I was on instance 5 on a second planet.  Guild Wars 1 also has a surprising number of people in the home city of the nightfall campaign.  I also see guild pvp happening quite often.  Can't speak to the others as I haven't been on them for a long time.
    Gorwe
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Peria Chronicles ended up stillborn although it happened on same day as this thread started so maybe it doesn't count.
    I expect NCsoft will announce that Project TL is stillborn shortly.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Anything still related to Nexon probably since they already dropped Riders of Icarus to someone else. Aside from that, Astellia Online