Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does your spouse/partner/boyfriend or girlfriend feel about you playing mmorpgs?

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    My wife hates it and calls me an addict, i tell her she spends more time watching TV than I spend gaming. I also only play games when my kid is asleep or at school.

Did i mention i also work 60 to 80 hours a week while my wife barely works  . . . . . . . .

I come home from 10+ hour workdays and spend time with my kid till he goes to bed and then i game. 

. . . . And yes, I have marital issues. 
    Amathe
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    ...who would have thought so...
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

erm yeah, that's probably true ...

Hope you can work it out. 

I suppose it bears mentioning that even though there are more people playing video games, many of them play mobile games on the fly or just lounging around. 

The idea of actively sitting in front of some screen with a console or pc game still resonates with many as something that is for kids. 

I know many women who have said that they would never date a guy who played video games as they were looking for a man, not a boy. Obviously that is a bit intense but it does show that there is a contingent of people who are not interested in partners whose hobbies "feel" like they are for kids. 
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Amathe
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    So... I got my long time fiancee (of nine years, no joke, but that's another story) and mother of my child to try Vendetta once.  After targeting and blowing up her first spaceship she did a little fist pump and aggro "yesss!" After that she didn't show much interest in playing. I love her so freaking much; it's one of those things where the subtle and possibly subconscious ways a long term partner reacts reinforces the impression that you made the right choice.

Anyway, I think she thinks it's cute when I play, especially if I'm showing up for an online event.  She even keeps me on track in a way, because if I ever start a different game her subtext is 'what's this, a new game I have to get used to?'. She's even said to me once after a rough day "why don't you play that space game you like? It cheers you up"

Amore.
    Amathe

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    My wife hates it and calls me an addict, i tell her she spends more time watching TV than I spend gaming. I also only play games when my kid is asleep or at school.

Did i mention i also work 60 to 80 hours a week while my wife barely works  . . . . . . . .

I come home from 10+ hour workdays and spend time with my kid till he goes to bed and then i game. 

Yeah, what wives often really dislike is the lack of time you are spending with "them."

It isn't specific to gaming, working a lot is a much bigger contributor to their aggravation.

Onev year I had a salary job where I regularly worked from 5 AM to 8 PM five days a week,  and sometimes 8 hrs on Saturday. 

Yes, it was a crap job but she had recently lost her great job and was severely underemployed so I felt it necessary to do whatever my employer asked at the time.

She didn't see it that way however, seemed to think I purposely was doing it to avoid helping out with raising the children which was not the case.  (OK, maybe just a little bit.)

Fortunately both she and I got better jobs and we returned to a more normal situation......

...and then I discovered MMORPGs....

;)
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619
    I met my wife while playing EQ2. She was a healer in our raid guild, I played a wizard. We found out through game she lived less than 4 hours away. We got together IRL a few times, fell in love, and the rest is history. We still play MMOs together when we find one of interest. We moved from EQ2 to GW2, FF14, and even some lite ESO. Right now we are between MMOs, but we still game together constantly. Its a beautiful thing to share interests, I highly recommend it to everyone.
    ScotPhaserlight[Deleted User]Theocritus
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    aslan132 said:
    I met my wife while playing EQ2. She was a healer in our raid guild, I played a wizard. We found out through game she lived less than 4 hours away. We got together IRL a few times, fell in love, and the rest is history. We still play MMOs together when we find one of interest. We moved from EQ2 to GW2, FF14, and even some lite ESO. Right now we are between MMOs, but we still game together constantly. Its a beautiful thing to share interests, I highly recommend it to everyone.
    I have never had a girlfriend like that, is it alright to hate you a bit? :)

I had one who thought gaming was gambling, I did not realise for a couple of weeks that's what she meant. Its a funny old world, back when this happened cash shops with in game gambling did not exist.

Others thought it was childish and I know other gamers who have met this reaction. One used to play WoW (she would have been late twenties) but that was back when she was a "kid" by which she meant being a teenager.

Amathe
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    My girl games as much as I do. Just had to spend around $2k for her VR room and setup .... -_-

But I might be a special case, we meet online in FFXIV 6yrs ago been living together for about 4.5yrs now. Good old situation of the Tank falling in love with his raid healer.

Was a interesting conversation with her grandparents and parents when we first met in real life. Guy she meet online driving 850 miles to meet her. Think it took them a good 3-4 months and several trips up there to meet her for them to trust me and not think I was some random internet rapist.
    AmatheKyleran[Deleted User]
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    aslan132 said:
    You are one of the few lucky ones.....ALmost every couple I know is not gaming compatible.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited August 2019
    Kyleran said:

Yeah, what wives often really dislike is the lack of time you are spending with "them."

It isn't specific to gaming, working a lot is a much bigger contributor to their aggravation.

Onev year I had a salary job where I regularly worked from 5 AM to 8 PM five days a week,  and sometimes 8 hrs on Saturday. 

Yes, it was a crap job but she had recently lost her great job and was severely underemployed so I felt it necessary to do whatever my employer asked at the time.

She didn't see it that way however, seemed to think I purposely was doing it to avoid helping out with raising the children which was not the case.  (OK, maybe just a little bit.)

Fortunately both she and I got better jobs and we returned to a more normal situation......

...and then I discovered MMORPGs....

;)
    My wife does indeed mind me working 45+ hours a week a lot more then she does mind me playing a game for 10 hours a week. I then gently remind here that there is a reason she only has to work 18/20 hours a week and that I love my job. She then smiles and tells me "I think its time you boot up a game and focus on that." I think I am doing alright ;) ......

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AmatheGdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    I'll ask her next time she swings by with hot pockets for me.

AmatheKyleranPhaserlightSovrath

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Gaming is a part of me ever since I could hold onto a controller, so almost 4 decades. I've dated some ladies that 'pretended' to be into video games. We know those people right?

I knew going in that my wife didn't like gaming at all, so it's on me. She does like NES games, and got pretty into Gamecube Animal Crossing, but nothing since then.

She'll play the NES/SNES classics if we hook them up.

I don't usually game until everyone, including the wifey, is in bed, so it usually doesn't conflict too much. I'm just tired some days...ha

She doesn't really have any hobbies of her own exactly, so just does house stuff. If she did have hobbies I would def be all for them! I think it's important for people to have self-passions...if that's a word meaning something else besides masturbation. :o

Gut Out!
    Amathe

What, me worry?

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 526
    Wife plays more than i ever do. More of a little every day type of gamer.

Where as i am the get into a game i like or even a old game replay and will spend hours every day till i get bored and back to not playing anything till something else takes my fancy.

Reading is my everyday thing. Usually a book read every day or 2. Even in my gaming zone i read a bit before bed every day at the least.

Hard to imagine 2 people together long term if one does not have any interest in the others major hobby though. 
    Amathe
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I found this post refreshing knowing there are a lot of adult gamers in this community. I think that I've gotten a little jaded over the years dealing with the toxic communities and relegated everyone to "kid status."
    AmatheKyleranGdemamiPhaserlight[Deleted User]Sovrath
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Gdemami said:
    ...who would have thought so...
    You are akin to carrion  
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I found this post refreshing knowing there are a lot of adult gamers in this community. I think that I've gotten a little jaded over the years dealing with the toxic communities and relegated everyone to "kid status."

I think these forums are for the old farts of the mmo world sometimes lol.

I know am coming up on my 10th yr of lurking around the forums here now. And I see alot of the same names poping in all the post since I started reading these forums back in the early days.

But in general I am finding the average age of player in my guilds tend to be between 22 and 35. The games I play that are more themeparky like ffxiv have the slightly younger side of that with the majority in college or just getting out, games like Archeage when I messed around in there more then 50% of the players were above the age of 30 that I knew the age of alot were married and alot had kids.

Sorta funny all us old farts that apparently do not have time to play those slower paced games... tend to make up the majority of players in those games... hmmm.
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    My wife and I have been together for 26 years. She doesn't game at all. We both have debilitating medical conditions.  We spend a lot of time together, and if she wants my attention when I'm doing something I give it to her. In return she is very considerate of my hobbies and interests, and giving me time to indulge in them.
    KyleranSovrathAmathe
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    She told me what a loser I'm and left me, another one told me I was a lazy bum. I suppose they are right and they are wrong at the same time.
    [Deleted User]
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    You are akin to carrion  
    ...am I?

Maybe try to put your bias for gaming aside, take a bit of "distance" to see things as they are at face value and re-read your own post, or even entire thread....
    Slapshot1188
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    I married a gamer.

Still love her even though she's a filthy ps4 casual.
    ScotAmatheScorchienWalkinGlenn
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     My wife loves my hobby , and to make along story short ..

My gaming hobby on PC that started with a C64 in 83 led me to investing in the industry very early on ...

I retired at 53 , have 2 beautiful homes , my wife is very happy , and her biggest concern is what color toe nails to get each week ... (jk/in a bit) we do have an 8 year old son ...But My gaming habit (and investments) has led to a really great life ...

She never blinks as sit here playing Classic Wow killing the same boars i killed in 04 ...
    SovrathAmathe
  • obion20obion20 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    My wife is my Player 2, joins me in any game I pick up, not the greatest player, but I wouldn't trade her for the world.
    SovrathPhaserlightAmatheTheocritusCryomatrixklash2def
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    My girlfriend of 6+ years isn’t bothered by me playing MMOs as long as I make time to play DOTA 2 with her.  :) :)
    Amathe
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited August 2019
    I mostly play MMORPGs. She always asks if I'm "winning" or "beating" the game. Then quickly regrets asking the question.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/