Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Friday, Aug 30th D&SS finally begins

Comments

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Kyleran said:

How about the Dutch auction, will it be a resounding success, probably,  enthusiasm is pretty high over in the COE Discord DSS channel with naysayers quickly shouted down or moderated into silence.

The auction hasn't even started and SBS are already making a killing via their count/mayor sales. Mayors worried about settlement size? Buy away. Missed out on being a multi count? Now you can buy both mayor and count, while it still works out cheaper! Do they find new ways to piss off older backers? Yep! Of course the loyal followers are dismissing anyone that tries to question anything. Not that it's surprising. 

On a side note. There is a high chance I may miss my picking because I'm so into WoW classic atm. Is feels kind of sad that I'm getting this much enjoyment out of a game this old. While also, the community within WoW is heaps better than CoE. Hell CoE community feels toxic being compared to it.
    GdemamiAnOldFartKyleran
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Why is people still having arguments with this gdemami guy? Aside from giving condescending lols to everyone he's constantly siding with what seems to be the "unpopular" opinion on each thread, regardless of its merits, and claim everyone else is wrong without giving reasons. Isn't it obvious that he's just looking for attention, trying to stand out? Isn't it better to just ignore?
    GdemamiAnOldFartMendelSlapshot1188tweedledumb99
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2019
    constantly siding with what seems to be the "unpopular" opinion
    ...yeah, rational thinking is indeed unpopular in this echo chamber of armchair devs.

You hit the nail on the head.
    Kumaponkenguru23DerryFH
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:

How about the Dutch auction, will it be a resounding success, probably,  enthusiasm is pretty high over in the COE Discord DSS channel with naysayers quickly shouted down or moderated into silence.

The auction hasn't even started and SBS are already making a killing via their count/mayor sales. Mayors worried about settlement size? Buy away. Missed out on being a multi count? Now you can buy both mayor and count, while it still works out cheaper! Do they find new ways to piss off older backers? Yep! Of course the loyal followers are dismissing anyone that tries to question anything. Not that it's surprising. 

On a side note. There is a high chance I may miss my picking because I'm so into WoW classic atm. Is feels kind of sad that I'm getting this much enjoyment out of a game this old. While also, the community within WoW is heaps better than CoE. Hell CoE community feels toxic being compared to it.
    Please tell me your playing alliance on zandalar tribe (EU) and your in the booty bay buccaneers
  • kenguru23kenguru23 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    Which makes it all the more amazing how accurate arm chair developers are in their assessments and predictions considering how little they have to really work with.

...sure, I assume then you also must believe the Earth is flat because flatearthers predict with 100% accuracy sunrise for every day.

Yeah...common sense, another thing armchair devs think they know about...
    So you really believe the earth is a globe??! Lol next you'll probably tell us how vaccines work haha. You're probably pumped full of them lol
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gdemami said:
    constantly siding with what seems to be the "unpopular" opinion
    ...yeah, rational thinking is indeed unpopular in this echo chamber of armchair devs.

You hit the nail on the head.
    Don't worry, so far you haven't given anybody a reason to accuse you of rational thinking, you're safe here.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MendelSlapshot1188[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Lokero said:
    I mean, I'm no Caspian fan, but let's be fair.  It's not like the other indie MMOs are really progressing much faster :(
    So, aside from his idiotic rants and incredibly bad people skills, CoE really isn't that far behind the curve.  And yes, I know how terribly sad that is.

To throw in some optimism, since that's long since left this forum, maybe now that the map crap is getting done with they'll pick up some steam.
    Not sure which ones you are comparing to but I have actually been able to enter Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, Star Citizen, etc...  and have been able to do so for years.

From a player participation and testing perspective, CoE is literally years behind it's peers. Are they suddenly going to spring a fully functional test client on us and catch up?  Well, given that it took 4 month delay (over and beyond the original target) to produce maps... I have my doubts.

Lets flip that a bit.  What have you seen that actually makes you confident that they will produce and release a functional game around the same time as their peers?  Maybe I am missing something...

GdemamiAnOldFart

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Kyleran said:
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    So I feel qualified

...of course you do, your self-entitlement knows no bounds.

That is kinda an issue here...
    I'm thinking "hubris" is more accurate, self entitlement would be more like looking in a mirror in your case.

But enough about me, let's get back on topic shall we.

I agree.  I have no reason to believe that the majority of donors will toss out more money to upgrade and better secure the advantages and properties they paid for already.  That is the genius of this scheme.  When you don't have to produce anything, but get to continually upsell customers to more expensive purchases and ad-ons... it's a marketer's dream.
    GdemamiAnOldFart

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    But the maps were the bottleneck right?! Now they have this TOOL to dev things MUCH FASTER now right? Isn't that what someone with CoE said?

The game should release any minute now! Phew!

Gut Out!
    KyleranAnOldFartDerryFH

What, me worry?

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Lokero said:
    I mean, I'm no Caspian fan, but let's be fair.  It's not like the other indie MMOs are really progressing much faster :(
    So, aside from his idiotic rants and incredibly bad people skills, CoE really isn't that far behind the curve.  And yes, I know how terribly sad that is.

To throw in some optimism, since that's long since left this forum, maybe now that the map crap is getting done with they'll pick up some steam.
    Not sure which ones you are comparing to but I have actually been able to enter Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, Star Citizen, etc...  and have been able to do so for years.

From a player participation and testing perspective, CoE is literally years behind it's peers. Are they suddenly going to spring a fully functional test client on us and catch up?  Well, given that it took 4 month delay (over and beyond the original target) to produce maps... I have my doubts.

Lets flip that a bit.  What have you seen that actually makes you confident that they will produce and release a functional game around the same time as their peers?  Maybe I am missing something...
    I'm not confident that CoE will ever release anything at all.  But the point remains that they theoretically could launch around the same time or even before.  The point was more the lack of progress the other games are making than some grand CoE endorsement.

But in direct contrast, such as @Vrika was saying, CoE has only shown "tech demos".
    Let's look at the indie list.  Sure, you can log in and "play" many of them. 
    However, with the possible exception of Crowfall, none of them are actual, functioning games for the most part. They are all mostly just accessible tech demos still.

Crowfall - I think this is the only one that has actually implemented all or most of their systems and is anywhere close to a complete project.
    CU - pure tech tests still.
    SC - still far away from the game they are planning to make.  It'll be another 6 years before they get there.
    Ashes of Creation - Are you kidding me? Their tests aren't even for the same game.
    Pantheon - Last I heard they're spending like 6 months on their "zone" prototype thing.
    Saga of Lucimia - Ironically, I'm the most impressed by the progress they've made and they are the least experienced team.  Still, this is another pre-alpha/alpha project.

All of these games are still considered "pre-alpha" or alpha basically.

Even CoE has shown functioning gameplay.  They even allowed people to play that weird little parkour dungeon thing at PAX a couple years back.
    The only difference between CoE and say CU is that they have regular testing access.

In fact, I have less faith in the CoE team than most of the others, but we really don't know what they do or don't have.

The original point was this: In theory, all of those other games are still so far from complete, that CoE could technically be ready around the same time as any of the others.
    Lokero said:
    Lokero said:

I'm not confident that CoE will ever release anything at all.  But the point remains that they theoretically could launch around the same time or even before.  The point was more the lack of progress the other games are making than some grand CoE endorsement.

But in direct contrast, such as @Vrika was saying, CoE has only shown "tech demos".
    Let's look at the indie list.  Sure, you can log in and "play" many of them. 
    However, with the possible exception of Crowfall, none of them are actual, functioning games for the most part. They are all mostly just accessible tech demos still.

Crowfall - I think this is the only one that has actually implemented all or most of their systems and is anywhere close to a complete project.
    CU - pure tech tests still.
    SC - still far away from the game they are planning to make.  It'll be another 6 years before they get there.
    Ashes of Creation - Are you kidding me? Their tests aren't even for the same game.
    Pantheon - Last I heard they're spending like 6 months on their "zone" prototype thing.
    Saga of Lucimia - Ironically, I'm the most impressed by the progress they've made and they are the least experienced team.  Still, this is another pre-alpha/alpha project.

All of these games are still considered "pre-alpha" or alpha basically.

Even CoE has shown functioning gameplay.  They even allowed people to play that weird little parkour dungeon thing at PAX a couple years back.
    The only difference between CoE and say CU is that they have regular testing access.

In fact, I have less faith in the CoE team than most of the others, but we really don't know what they do or don't have.

The original point was this: In theory, all of those other games are still so far from complete, that CoE could technically be ready around the same time as any of the others.
    No. Those other games are actually letting you play the game in the engine they are creating the game in. The parkour dungeon thing was tossed out. So was the jousting demo.  They were stand alone and not part of the actual game.  This is what is so frustrating and misleading about CoE.  People think/thought that stuff like the dungeon or the jousting was showing game progress when in fact they were scrapped...
    GdemamiKyleranAnOldFart

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Why is people still having arguments with this gdemami guy? Aside from giving condescending lols to everyone he's constantly siding with what seems to be the "unpopular" opinion on each thread, regardless of its merits, and claim everyone else is wrong without giving reasons. Isn't it obvious that he's just looking for attention, trying to stand out? Isn't it better to just ignore?
    Shhh, we don't say that name here, better to use [LOL]

;)
    [Deleted User]AnOldFartDerryFH

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited August 2019
    I'm trying to wrap my head around why they wasted time on a parkour tech demo anyways for a game that's about nation building.  At least Ashes of Creation can pretend their battle royale is in preparation for their combat system.  Parkour, meanwhile, has like, no place whatsoever in Elyria's concept as it is.
    AnOldFart
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I'm trying to wrap my head around why they wasted time on a parkour tech demo anyways for a game that's about nation building.  At least Ashes of Creation can pretend their battle royale is in preparation for their combat system.  Parkour, meanwhile, has like, no place whatsoever in Elyria's concept as it is.
    Maybe they intended to include it and then realised it wouldn't work? They were working on a prototype. But yeah, it was a colossal waste of time and resources for a team who that had a chronic shortage of said resources. The most annoying thing for me is that "parkour" is such a fad, it isn't a core game mechanic for an MMO.

@Torrsk

They have definitely made a killing this month.

Monthly income - lifetime average  $137,115
    Monthly income - current average   $200,959

Date               Total               Daily ave for month       Daily ave since 15-Aug-17
    28-Mar-19     $5,755,476             $3,662                                 $4,534
    30-Apr-19     $6,111,616             $10,792                                $4,866
    30-May-19     $6,199,106             $2,916                                 $4,776
    03-Jun-19       $6,225,343             $772                                    $4,578
    31-Jul-19       $6,250,296             $891                                    $4,434
    30-Aug-19     $6,485,225             $6,699                                 $4,570

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    lahnmir said:
    Don't worry, so far you haven't given anybody a reason to accuse you of rational thinking, you're safe here.
    Indeed. Thanks for demonstrating my point in action - you can't even make a jab that isn't fallacious.
  • OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    I have to admit though, Caspian's words and the early tech demos on kickstarter really sold this game. I know it's nowhere near the money other mmos hotshots make, but you gotta give credit where credit is due.

I hope there's a chance CoE comes out as was advertised, but even if they make 200k per month, it's not gonna give me much hope at all at the rate this is going regarding SBS's practices. 
    AnOldFart
    Maybe they intended to include it and then realised it wouldn't work? They were working on a prototype. But yeah, it was a colossal waste of time and resources for a team who that had a chronic shortage of said resources. The most annoying thing for me is that "parkour" is such a fad, it isn't a core game mechanic for an MMO.

@Torrsk

They have definitely made a killing this month.

Monthly income - lifetime average  $137,115
    Monthly income - current average   $200,959

Date               Total               Daily ave for month       Daily ave since 15-Aug-17
    28-Mar-19     $5,755,476             $3,662                                 $4,534
    30-Apr-19     $6,111,616             $10,792                                $4,866
    30-May-19     $6,199,106             $2,916                                 $4,776
    03-Jun-19       $6,225,343             $772                                    $4,578
    31-Jul-19       $6,250,296             $891                                    $4,434
    30-Aug-19     $6,485,225             $6,699                                 $4,570

Undoubtedly.  That is why I think they will make a lot of money auctioning off the remaining land parcels. Rather than be annoyed with people buying similar “land” for massive discounts to what they paid, I think many current backers will jump at the “opportunity” to buy up more land for alternate characters. 

And then, lest we think the stone has no more blood to squeeze, SBS will switch to discussions about how people can spend the “exposition points” they already purchased, and of course... what advantages they can buy with more points.

And don’t forget the Kickstarterversary where they celebrate time from the Kickstarter, which is ironic for a game already years behind schedule.   

DSS is the base for all those sales so from a pure fundraising perspective it’s a huge event.
    Kyleran

edited August 2019
    Speaking of fundraising,  if and when they finally get a playable game for alpha one backers to test in, they could offer testing access  upgrade packages.

Something like for "only $385" a backer can move their testing access level up by one tier? There could even be a double jump value pack, for the "bargin" price of $747.

Alpha 2 goes to Alpha1, Beta 1 goes to Alpha 2 etc unless double jump of course.

If there are any queues or performance issues testers will be granted priority based on their original access levels they backed. (The rubes never see this sort of thing coming) 

Note to Jeremy, I'll be expecting my cut in a timely fashion.  ;)

AnOldFart

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gdemami said:
    lahnmir said:
    Indeed. Thanks for demonstrating my point in action - you can't even make a jab that isn't fallacious.
    I did actually, your behaviour is quite transparant and predictable. It doesn’t show rational thinking though, unless the entire “you are wrong” spiel is rational thinking to you. And that kind of proves me right then. Keep playing though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    GdemamiKyleranSlapshot1188Mendeltweedledumb99
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Well, it is now Aug 31.  Did this D&SS selection actually start yet?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:

Yes.  Caspien is currently writing a blog on "tokens" that you can buy (of course) to upgrade your settlements.  But keep in mind this is not P2W at all... right?

Of course he (again) complained about having to stop his important business writing the blog to respond to customer complaints...

Caspian ☁Yesterday at 6:36 PM

Paused.

Listen folks, all joking aside, I was in the middle of a blog post, Snipes was in the middle of a blog post, we're working our asses off trying to give the community updates on all the exciting stuff coming up, and the stuff we're working on, and either Serp, Snipes, or myself has to pause what we're doing to come calm the masses. Again.

-snip for yadda yadda yadda-

When I get my team calling me up telling me they're uncomfortable being in our Discord again because people are losing their shit of our +1 Wealth to capitals they've created.... It hurts.
    It doesn't hurt me. It hurts you. Because your single greatest benefit to backing us is the access you have to us. I do not want to see the list of Soulbound employees on the right diminishing because people felt like raging over something that is fundamentally a misunderstanding.

Caspian ☁Yesterday at 8:06 PM

My blog post is on the topic of Tokens, for those curious.

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Mendel said:

Yes.  Caspien is currently writing a blog on "tokens" that you can buy (of course) to upgrade your settlements.  But keep in mind this is not P2W at all... right?

Of course he (again) complained about having to stop his important business writing the blog to respond to customer complaints...

Caspian ☁Yesterday at 6:36 PM

Paused.

Listen folks, all joking aside, I was in the middle of a blog post, Snipes was in the middle of a blog post, we're working our asses off trying to give the community updates on all the exciting stuff coming up, and the stuff we're working on, and either Serp, Snipes, or myself has to pause what we're doing to come calm the masses. Again.

-snip for yadda yadda yadda-

When I get my team calling me up telling me they're uncomfortable being in our Discord again because people are losing their shit of our +1 Wealth to capitals they've created.... It hurts.
    It doesn't hurt me. It hurts you. Because your single greatest benefit to backing us is the access you have to us. I do not want to see the list of Soulbound employees on the right diminishing because people felt like raging over something that is fundamentally a misunderstanding.

Caspian ☁Yesterday at 8:06 PM

My blog post is on the topic of Tokens, for those curious.

If it's misunderstood how about correcting the fan base instead of crying over it.
    Gdemami
    edited August 2019
    I'm just amazed that he is going to be pushing the $10 Token upgrades on top of the DSS account upgrades and the Dutch Auction of the settlements

Gdemami

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    @StaalBurgher

Very interesting. Thanks for those numbers. Yet the true sale hasn't even started. I really do hope they make a killing from it.
    edited September 2019
    As D&SS moves into the "Count" level of picks the COE forums are ablaze with declarations by one king or another to wage total war against any Count who "randomly" chooses a County within their borders without prior permission.

Appears this could upset all of the carefully made plans of those in the ivory tower.

I'm hoping a few Counts deliberately do disruptive placements just to enjoy the ensuing drama in the coming years regardless of if or when the game actually is released.

Here's a sampling of the threads.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/32845/the-stormlands-during-count-level-dss

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/32848/the-undead-lords-during-all-levels-of-dss
    bcbully