Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are you playing or going to play classic?

xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
Are you going to overload it with addon's and race through, constantly check the internet for help? smell the roses or are you all 100% about the pvp?

Just curious as i'm not checking internet, not using addons, the immersion is much deeper and if you read the quests, you find they have been cleverly crafted in that there are descriptions, hints, clues, and if you read the quests, check your map, it all comes together and you don't really need loads of add-ons and internet help, like at all, sure it takes a little longer so you're not going to cap as fast but for me the enjoyment level has gone through the roof.

I discovered this because i'm like, i'm smelling the roses on this one, where before and retail it's all about chasing an arrow, no clue why, but you know you'll get good amount of gold, gear, complete a bunch of quests quickly.

As i was exploring the world, quests you read make sense, in that you're like i bet that is the camp he was talking about, the immersion deepens so much playing this way.

How are others taking in classic?

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L

Comments

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Taking it really slow. Not going to install any add ons til I get to raiding.
    Making lots of alts and enjoying the leveling process for all of them.
    Subbed for 6 months and plan to let that sub renew.
    xpsync
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    As far as I know, WoW is PC only.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    PC only and when you think about it, that's WOW itself lol :)
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I'm taking it fairly easy. I AM loading it with addons (cast bars, auction stuff, quest indicators, meters, etc). The grind is real. The pace is slow. I'm fine with that.

I never get the feeling that the quest text is immersive. I think it's fine, but the quests really just feel like a series of chores to me. But by now I am a seasoned chore completer and it doesn't bother me. You don't need addons, but I personally think the game is worse without some of the more basic functions. No cast bars on the target? I actually played quite a while like that, watching for the green vs lightning hands to decide which spell I wanted to interrupt, but I'm going to be PvPing at some point and cast bars is a must have. 

I think that classic WoW lacks some very basic things that make gameplay more interesting, not less. People seem to have the opinion that this thing was in a great state and only got worse - I completely disagree with that kind of sentiment. There are some areas that got WAY better and some areas that changed the game fundamentally that some people don't like.

I will say that my nostalgia is off the charts. Some guy was offering to make linen bags for mats and i took 3. It reminded me of those early days in WoW. I've also grouped about 10 or so times in the world with randoms so far. I don't think I can actually say that about any MMORPG right now (it has a lot to do with large populations competing for mobs right now).

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    I'm level 7, might be level 12 after the weekend.
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    The nostalgia lasted a few hours then the realisation set in that Blizzard made mistakes on the progression of wow but they also did a lot of good QoL. Back to FFXIV.
  • gregofc93gregofc93 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Grinding dungeons, few quests here and there.. def doing all my class quests (warlock).
    Just hit 37 bout 5 mins ago..
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited September 2019
    Not playing :)

I exhausted Vanilla/TBC content many years ago. I don't believe in reliving the past, but I'm happy for the people having fun with it again.

I do find it a little ironic to hear about how WoW Classic is "hard" and "challenging".

I'm old enough to remember how the hardcore MMO audience blasted WoW for being ultra casual and overly streamlined. That criticism lasted for years and years.

People who think WoW was a success primarily because it was hard and challenging are clearly incorrect. If that was the case, EverQuest would never have lost its lead.

WoW was first and foremost a success because it was an accessible and polished game. It ran well on low-end hardware, it looked great, it was smooth, and content was very high quality for the genre. It introduced meaningful questing and very well made instanced dungeons.

The fact that it had some measure of challenge, which it certainly did in the post 40ish level content - is secondary to its success.

While I take no pleasure in pointing these things out, I do care a lot more about reality than I do about pretending for the sake of diplomacy.

Once people realize they've already played this game - and they've seen every single corner of the world many times over, they'll start getting bored.

That may take a while however, and I hope they'll have a ton of fun until that happens.

Also, while retail WoW is arguably a mess in several ways - it's not like every single change was for the worse. 

But, ultimately, WoW was never really "my kind of game" so much as it was the first MMO I bothered to invest in, and in which I was part of a community.

That's less about the game and more about timing and coincidence. Lots of people had that experience in EverQuest - and there's still quite a few people playing that one, but obviously not a ton.

Same will be true for Classic in 6-12 months. I would estimate 500K at the most, which is definitely not a bad number, considering how outdated it is, in many ways.

I'm curious how they plan to evolve it, however.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    As a person who who basically accomplished everything I wanted to do in Vanilla the Classic version has nothing of interest for me so I'll be passing on it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited September 2019
    Did everything there was to do, as a raidleader and a maintank. I rerolled healer and played as that in tbc and wotlk.

I am tempted to play it as a healer but....I would only level up if I could duo the game with a friend, and none of the people I would want to play it with has any interest in the game so that's why I'm not joining.

I would rather stick needles in my eyes than level up as a priest solo again. Its also the reason why I couldn't get myself to play ff14.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.