Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Win10: My memory leak issue finally resolved

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
For a few weeks I had been having a constant and persistent memory leak with my 16 GB of memory hovering around 80-99% committed even though looking at my processes in Task Manager just didn't add-up to anywhere near that. I googled the issue quite a few times (although as it turns out not very well :)) and was suspecting anything from BIOS settings, to ram issues to malaware. The only thing that kind of fixed it was a cold reboot and even then it only took a couple of hours of doing just about anything for the problem to re-appear. It was annoying as hell and at times if I wasn't paying attention, it would slow the system to a crawl.

It was only when I looked in the performance tab and noticed that the non-paged memory pool was sitting at 12 GB+ that I started googling the right thing "large non paged memory usage" and found out that it's a known problematic interaction between the Windows Network Data Usage driver and several network adapter drivers (such as the Killer Network driver which I have.)

As far as I've gathered that NDU driver may be useful to users with low bandwidth caps but it's generally just bloat for the rest of us.

The fix once I had the info was ridiculously easy:

1. Open the Registry Editor (regedit.exe);
  2. Go to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu\;
  3. Change the value of the Start parameter to 4.
My non-paged memory now sits at under 200 MB all of the time as it should.

Just sharing as a quick PSA for any of you that may be having similar problems.
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

[Deleted User]gervaise1RidelynnAsm0deusWalkinGlenn

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Wow, congrats at finding that.  Looks like a needle in the haystack problem.
    [Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ozmodan said:
    Wow, congrats at finding that.  Looks like a needle in the haystack problem.
    Yeah it was maddening. At times I was sure it had to be a virus so I threw every virus checker known to man at it and when the scans showed I was clean I would just grumpily try to live with it (I found out a lot of games work just fine at least for a while, with 12 GB+ of my memory unavailable to it :)) and just go through the cold boot sequence when simple things like alt-tabbing out of a game felt sluggish with my browser taking a few seconds to switch tabs... things like that.

I used memtest several times and everything was fine.

Now that it's fixed I feel like I have a brand new PC lol. 
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I've had a odd quirk I think is related to a memory leak. I don't see significant memory usage creep up over time, but I do start to see other odd problems  (programs fail to start, computer decides it doesn't want to restart, etc).

I tried this out - didn't help my problem, but it was a good find and worth a shot. I suspect my issue is probably more related to a driver somewhere, recent Windows updates, and it being older hardware.
    [Deleted User]