Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any new game that has a sandbox(SWG) concept?

DarkDeathDarkDeath Member UncommonPosts: 13
Im looking for a game like swg for a long long time, 
played some mmo's over the years and never found one loved as such.
any recommendation? (played swtor, guild wars 1&2 and a lot of the big ones, none of them pulled me as swg)
thanks!

NorseGodHatefull

Answers

• Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    *Came here to see comments*
    NorseGodVermillion_RaventhalMMOExposed
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited August 2019
    Released? No. Better play one of the EMUs, likely your only option for quite some time.

If Chronicles of Elyria ever gets made it could suit you, but the oddsmakers have it as a real longshot at 100 to 1 against  ever releasing.

;)

DarkDeathGdemamiHatefull

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Expl0rerExpl0rer Member UncommonPosts: 8
    A Tale in the Desert is marvelous, just starting a new Telling now.  You and the other players get to build Ancient Egypt in a vast territory, making your own houses, farms, and temples.  Oh, no combat?  That fact highlights the main flaw of the MMORPG player community, a love of violence that has been eroding the culture and society of virtual worlds for the past decade.
    Hatefull
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Well you could jump into the testing of Repopulation, it may be the closest to an SWG experience , the testing is coming along altho slow , game just got a nice update on 8/2 ..

There is also Fallen Earth

DarkDeathAsherammklinicHatefull
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Minecraft is a sandbox option. Not much like SWG through.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    DarkDeath said:
    Im looking for a game like swg for a long long time, 
    played some mmo's over the years and never found one loved as such.
    any recommendation? (played swtor, guild wars 1&2 and a lot of the big ones, none of them pulled me as swg)
    thanks!

There's a Pre-CU server and an NGE server.

The SWGEmu dev team runs the most populated Pre-CU Server. They are on Pub 10 right now. The current server will be wiped and relaunched when they finish Pub 14.

Although there are people playing, I think most are just waiting for the release. I'm waiting because I don't want to grind everything for the third time (I'm going for all badges including both factions' badges).
    Hatefull
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    The #1 most subscribed MMO in the world is WoW, which means it has the best chance to live and survive. I definitely recommend WoW for a game you know is gonna last 10+ more years
    No one asked about WoW, in fact that is the game that helped end SWG lol.
    NorseGodAmathe
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Tiller said:
    Yeah the OP asked about a sandbox game. No one claims WoW is a sandbox game. Not sure why someone suggested WoW.
    Hatefull

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited August 2019
    Tiller said:
    The #1 most subscribed MMO in the world is WoW, which means it has the best chance to live and survive. I definitely recommend WoW for a game you know is gonna last 10+ more years
    If you read his thread about the wtf key in off topic you will see that he is fishing for wtf's. I made a thread about the new disney star wars series The Mandalorian and he posted in it like the thread was about swtor mmo.

@Scorchien you beat me to it, was going to mention both of those.
    Hatefull
    Asheram said:
    Tiller said:
    If you read his thread about the wtf key in off topic you will see that he is fishing for wtf's. I made a thread about the new disney star wars series The Mandalorian and he posted in it like the thread was about swtor mmo.

@Scorchien you beat me to it, was going to mention both of those.
    Yeah I saw that, hence why I loled. He must still have some love left for this site since he even bothers to post at all. :D
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Honestly nothing.  Ashes of Creation is likely the most sandbox game that will realistically be released.
    edited August 2019
    Anyways to answer the OPs question, try STO. It's sci-fi, and easy to jump in and out of. It's not sandbox, but still fun to tinker around in.

Yes it's buggy, combat sucks at times, but there is an interesting mini-game layer with the crew management, duty officers, R&D, Reputation system and admiralty system, traits and skills some of which come into play at 65 and makes the game a little more bearable. Plus they allow you various opportunities to earn free T6 ships throughout the year. You really never have to spend a dime on this game at all.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Imo, BDO is as much "sandbox" as SWG so you could try that one.
    Hatefull
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    edited August 2019
    No.  And never will be.  A lot of people thing this or that game will come and do it, but I think don't understand the awesome part of harvesters doing the mining and you managing them and the ease of obtaining massive amount of resources.

All other games:  Go hit a rock or a tree and hope a special piece breaks off.

So with that said, both Legends and SWGEMU are awesome to go play.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2019
    NorseGod
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Tiller said:
    WoW ended alot of MMOs.....
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    SWG EMU and SWG Legends both do a good job of recreating the SWG experience.  They both did a good job.
    NorseGod

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited August 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Isnt this game just a digging simulator?

If crafting is what he wants Gloria Victis has some pretty in depth crafting.
  • HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161
    As others have said, just do SWGLegends for NGE SWG or SWGEmu for Pre-CU SWG. I do both. It's crazy how innovative and good both of those versions of the game still are after all these years.
    NorseGodOctagon7711
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Go play 7 Days to Die. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    I am finding Legends of Aria very entertaining. Very much a sandbox.
    Kyleran
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Gdemami said:
    Imo, BDO is as much "sandbox" as SWG so you could try that one.
    LOL no, it is not, not at all.

Crowfall has a complicated crafting and gathering system, but that is where any similarities to SWG end.
    Gdemami

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.