Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh Magoo, you've done it again.

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
edited August 2019 in Chronicles of Elyria
So SBS wanted to offer a County upgrade package for a bargin price of only $385.

Thing is, one has to have the Mayor title (honorific not the package) to purchase the upgrade.

Seems a number of backers on Oceana "begged" COE to provide a way to obtain a mayor title so they are now offering an $85 Mayor title upgrade which can be then upgraded to a county for $385 or just combined with other Mayors (limit 6) to create larger counties.

Sheer financial genius, truly the area they've shown the greatest prowess at, fleecing the rubes out of their hard earned dough.

:D

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/32562/limited-time-county-upgrade

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

GdemamiScotAzaron_NightbladeAmathe

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2019
    ...a bussiness that is selling something? Outrageous! Again! When does this madeness stop?!

KumaponRemaliAzaron_NightbladealkarionlogAzothDerryFHTekkon
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Reminds me of people talking about SE selling a cash shop outfit in FFXIV's cash shop recent of the game's "iconic" character (nothing that hasn't been done before). The complaint was that people wanted to buy other outfits of other characters as well.....a fool and his money...
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    People are actually buying these.

But not for a new mayor title, but to upgrade their new hamlets to the ks promised towns
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I do miss the days when playing a game was about playing the game, not the start of a "shopping adventure"...
    Scotkenguru23Mendelalkarionlog
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    So like, is there room on the map for all these new counties that will crop up from this or are they going to have to re-do the maps... again?
    So like, is there room on the map for all these new counties that will crop up from this or are they going to have to re-do the maps... again?
    Nah they'll just tell people they didn't buy a county but the opportunity to Cassus Belli in the start
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited August 2019
    Brilliant thread title. If you have only ever played in MMOs which sell of everything and the kitchen sink Mr Magoo was this really short sighted fellow who messed everything up. Remind you of anyone? :)
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Gdemami said:
    ...a bussiness that is selling something? Outrageous! Again! When does this madeness stop?!

There are games which sell something vs those which try to sell everything.

Perhaps the madness stops when SBS delivers a playable game which investors finally decide to support. 

COE is pretty much one of the few indie MMOs in development which has no playable demo after three years of effort and not coincidently no investors either.

Heck, even the Saga of Lucima guys found an investor and they were basically part time hobbyists building a game, but....one could play their game.

Better than role playing as developers it seems. 
    kenguru23SpottyGekkoGdemamiAnOldFartAmatheDerryFH

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited August 2019
    Scot said:
    Brilliant thread title. If you have only ever played in MMOs which sell of everything and the kitchen sink Mr Magoo was this really short sighted fellow who messed everything up. Remind you of anyone? :)
    Well yeah, [LOL] but I was thinking of someone more like say...Caspian. 

Cheers 

;)

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Caspian can send in adbot's but we are still here. :)
    Kyleran
  • DafAtRandomDafAtRandom Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Brilliant.  If you buy this one thing that you already should have had, and buy that other thing, then I'll let you buy that third thing.
    Caspien better make sure there's enough room on those maps for all this.  We wouldn't want all that very hard 3 month labor to be scratched completely and lose all progress.  Not that CoE has been guilty of that in the past...oh wait, they are.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Kyleran said:
    So SBS wanted to offer a County upgrade package for a bargin price of only $385.

Thing is, one has to have the Mayor title (honorific not the package) to purchase the upgrade.

Seems a number of backers on Oceana "begged" COE to provide a way to obtain a mayor title so they are now offering an $85 Mayor title upgrade which can be then upgraded to a county for $385 or just combined with other Mayors (limit 6) to create larger counties.

Sheer financial genius, truly the area they've shown the greatest prowess at, fleecing the rubes out of their hard earned dough.

You're showing your age with your title ...  B)
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Kyleran said:

The thing is, this nonsense would stop but there are morons out there who actually buy in game digital items for real world money. As long as you aren't that sucker, why do you care?
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I do miss the days when playing a game was about playing the game, not the start of a "shopping adventure"...
    There's nothing wrong about Recettear: An item shop's tale
    anemo
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

You're showing your age with your title ...  B)
    It is an awesome title, if we don't keep things alive like Mr. Magoo, Cab Calloway, Willie Randolph, who will ever remember them?
    Mendel
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    AnOldFart said:
    People are actually buying these.

But not for a new mayor title, but to upgrade their new hamlets to the ks promised towns
    So people feel like they were cheated out of something they were promised and they respond by paying them more money? It's a good time to be a businessman.
    Kyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    A "country upgrade" package. That sounds like some wooden ducks, a lot of potpourri, and a decorative wagon wheel. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Amathe said:
    A "country upgrade" package. That sounds like some wooden ducks, a lot of potpourri, and a decorative wagon wheel.
    Ha, your idea of "country" goes in the total opposite direction of mine.  I live in the deep south of the U.S.
    I more picture "confederate flags, trailer trash, guns, and pit bulls."
    AmatheSovrath
    Kyleran said:

The thing is, this nonsense would stop but there are morons out there who actually buy in game digital items for real world money. As long as you aren't that sucker, why do you care?
    Of course I care having fallen victim to some early scams before seeing the light.

Think of me as an activist of sorts,  pointing out the follies of the gaming world.

Trust me, there's a lot of great material to work with.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Lokero said:
    Amathe said:
    Ha, your idea of "country" goes in the total opposite direction of mine.  I live in the deep south of the U.S.
    You can't be farther South than me unless you live in the Keys or Puerto Rico. I live in Miami lol.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Kyleran said:
    Gdemami said:

Perhaps the madness stops when SBS delivers a playable game which investors finally decide to support. 

COE is pretty much one of the few indie MMOs in development which has no playable demo after three years of effort and not coincidently no investors either.

Heck, even the Saga of Lucima guys found an investor and they were basically part time hobbyists building a game, but....one could play their game.

3 years?  Per the Kickstarter SBS had worked on it for a year BEFORE the Kickstarter with a team of 16 funded out of Caspien's own pocket...

Risks and challenges

Game development is never easy and MMOs are the most demanding of the lot. We know these risks and have planned and estimated accordingly.

We have an established team of 16 people, funded from CEO, Jeromy Walsh’s, own money for the last year.

KyleranAnOldFartTorrsk

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Shaigh said:
    There's nothing wrong about Recettear: An item shop's tale
    Recetter has lots of normal adventuring too though :P
    edited August 2019
    Amathe said:
    Lokero said:
    Amathe said:
    You can't be farther South than me unless you live in the Keys or Puerto Rico. I live in Miami lol.
    Stay safe over the weekend.  Live over on west coast and I just battled the masses for a couple of cases of bottled water, bread and other essentials (beer) in preparation for the storm.

Wasn't a very tough fight, few were prepared for my twin sword impale cyclone attacks.

;)

Kyleran said:
    Gdemami said:

3 years?  Per the Kickstarter SBS had worked on it for a year BEFORE the Kickstarter with a team of 16 funded out of Caspien's own pocket...

Risks and challenges

Game development is never easy and MMOs are the most demanding of the lot. We know these risks and have planned and estimated accordingly.

We have an established team of 16 people, funded from CEO, Jeromy Walsh’s, own money for the last year.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear that it was all a loan from Jeremy and as soon as ks finished he got paid back
    GdemamiDerryFH
  • URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    Lokero said:
    Amathe said:
    Stay safe over the weekend.  Live over on west coast and I just battled the masses for a couple of cases of bottled water, bread and other essentials (beer) in preparation for the storm.

Wasn't a very tough fight, few were prepared for my twin sword impale cyclone attacks.

;)
    wishing you guys good luck from NOLA!