Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Friday, Aug 30th D&SS finally begins

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
edited August 2019 in Chronicles of Elyria
This Friday the long awaited for D&SS event gets underway with Kings getting first pick of course, with the event running through around the 23rd of Sep.

The maps will be then taken down and cleaned up for the Dutch auction, date TBC.

Of course one might question the wisdom of starting the Friday before a US holiday weekend, Dukes / Dutchesses begin picking at 6 am Monday, Sep 2nd, lucky them.

Full details can be found in this thread here.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/32685/domain-settlement-claiming-begins-on-august-30#post363211

Let the good times roll

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Post edited by Kyleran on
bcbullyMendel

Comments

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I mean, I'm no Caspian fan, but let's be fair.  It's not like the other indie MMOs are really progressing much faster :(
    So, aside from his idiotic rants and incredibly bad people skills, CoE really isn't that far behind the curve.  And yes, I know how terribly sad that is.

To throw in some optimism, since that's long since left this forum, maybe now that the map crap is getting done with they'll pick up some steam.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]Relampago
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    If they pull this off. I believe it would be fair to say that what they are doing is new and innovative.

Whens the last time any of us have said this about an mmorpg?
    AnOldFartGeekymystichaze
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Lokero said:
    I mean, I'm no Caspian fan, but let's be fair.  It's not like the other indie MMOs are really progressing much faster :(
    So, aside from his idiotic rants and incredibly bad people skills, CoE really isn't that far behind the curve.  And yes, I know how terribly sad that is.
    False. Pretty much all the other indie MMOs that have gained millions of funding have shown something playable, either in tests or in streams. Meanwhile CoE is stuck showing short clips of prototypes for individual mechanisms.
    kenguru23KyleranGdemamiAnOldFartSpottyGekkoSlapshot1188

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited August 2019
    bcbully said:
    If they pull this off. I believe it would be fair to say that what they are doing is new and innovative.

Check out the SC threads, new and innovative are dropped on a regular basis.

I'll agree, if this ever gets released it will be unique in several ways which is one reason why I continue to follow it. 

Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Kyleran said:
    bcbully said:

Check out the SC threads, new and innovative are dropped on a regular basis.

I'll agree, if this ever gets released it will be unique in several ways which is one reason why I continue to follow it. 

It's the reason I backed it
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Happy this is coming about. Can finally do it and move the hell on.. like getting back to playing WoW classic and forgetting about everything else. While knowing if I go away from the game for many months/years. I won't have really missed anything important. 
    AnOldFartDerryFH
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Vrika said:
    False. Pretty much all the other indie MMOs that have gained millions of funding have shown something playable, either in tests or in streams. Meanwhile CoE is stuck showing short clips of prototypes for individual mechanisms.
    ...yeah, because the game you are making, tools and assets you use, funding sources as well as time and other myriad of variables do not matter...as long as you "gained milions".

Right out of armchair dev manual...
    kenguru23DerryFHtweedledumb99KumaponSpottyGekko
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited August 2019
    Lokero said:

To throw in some optimism, since that's long since left this forum, maybe now that the map crap is getting done with they'll pick up some steam.
    The jump from "concept and ideas" to "SOMETHING that actually exists in a playable state" is a pretty huge one, and so far all the other well-known indie MMORPGs have cleared it while CoE hasn't (and doesn't show any signs of doing so anytime soon.  It doesn't even have any engine vids.  ....or engine).

Of course, the jump from "SOMETHING that actually exists in a playable state" to "Actual game" is also a huge one, which is why everyones ragging on all those other indie MMOs, but saying "Isn't that far behind the curve" really understates just how hard it is to even put together a playable tech demo compared to just tossing around ideas and concept art (or concept maps in this case).
    Gdemami said:
    Vrika said:
    ...yeah, because the game you are making, tools and assets you use, funding sources as well as time and other myriad of variables do not matter...as long as you "gained milions".
    Star Citizen, Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, Dual Universe, Temtem and Shroud of the Avatar all had let people playtest the game before their original release estimate passed. Pantheon was releasing long gameplay streams, and Ashes of Creation team had their battle royale mode.

Chronicles of Elyria is the exception. It's the only larger crowdfunded MMO that's went well past its original release estimate without anything more than a couple of short clips demoning gameplay mechanisms.
    MendelGdemamiKylerankenguru23AnOldFartDerryFHtweedledumb99KumaponSpottyGekkoSlapshot1188

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    @Kyleran, unless I am greatly mistaken, Aug 30 is a future date.  There's still a chance for SBS to miss this date or otherwise delay this 'event'.  Let's see what happens when it happens.

The observations about starting an event on a major US holiday were particularly apt.

DafAtRandom

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Nubz_UniteNubz_Unite Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Regarding the holiday, if your talking about the second then yeah it's weird, though if your talking about the kings starting date. I would say it's actually perfectly planned, rather then dedicating a whole week or starting after the holiday and then switching mid week to duke selection. Having the Kings select over the week is a good system since there is literally 0 competition between them for the duchy/county/settlement selection. Hell you could have all the kings begin picking at the same time and probably wrap it up in a day
    Kyleran
    Vrika said:
    Star Citizen, Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, Dual Universe, Temtem and Shroud of the Avatar all had let people playtest the game before their original release estimate passed. Pantheon was releasing long gameplay streams, and Ashes of Creation team had their battle royale mode.

Chronicles of Elyria is the exception. It's the only larger crowdfunded MMO that's went well past its original release estimate without anything more than a couple of short clips demoning gameplay mechanisms.
    ...without even touching obvious holes in your list of examples, it does not change anything about a point made, in fact it just demonstrates how diverse development is and reinforce my point.

Don't bother using common sense or even dare to educate yourself, stick to your armchaim dev guns...
    kenguru23DerryFHtweedledumb99KumaponSpottyGekko
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Gdemami said:
    Vrika said:

...without even touching obvious holes in your list of examples, it does not change anything about a point made, in fact it just demonstrates how diverse development is and reinforce my point.

Don't bother using common sense or even dare to educate yourself, stick to your armchaim dev guns...
    Do you realize that the ONLY people you're fooling are people who have no context, people who will agree with anything pro-Elyria-devs, or people who don't actually read your post?

Like, anyone who reads what you wrote here knows it's complete bs.
    GdemamiSlapshot1188Dakeru

...yeah, "knows" - there is a heap difference between thinking you know and to know something aka having a factual experience.
    Kumaponkenguru23
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Gdemami said:

...yeah, "knows" - there is a heap difference between thinking you know and to know something aka having a factual experience.
    And your an expert on thinking you know
    SpottyGekkoGdemami
    Gdemami said:
    Vrika said:

...without even touching obvious holes in your list of examples
    How about touching those holes? Either tell me why I am wrong, or shut the fuck up. Thank you.
    Gdemamitweedledumb99

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    AnOldFart said:
    Gdemami said:

And your an expert on thinking you know
    Its an interesting way of having a “discussion.” Most people use previous experience, comparison to other projects, quotes from people working on (or close to) the project or promises made to give their argument weight and meaning. And then you have someone who just says ‘no, you are wrong.’ Its like a fart in the wind when no one is around and then thinking you have actually contributed something. It can be entertaining though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    kenguru23Gdemamitweedledumb99
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited August 2019
    Gdemami said:

Hmm, I "know" putting my hand in a fire, robbing banks,  abusing animals and other questionable activities are bad despite not having actual experience in them.

So I feel qualified in saying taking money and promising to deliver a game in a timely fashion but totally failing to do so when you "know" better is also bad.

BTW, my stupid phone browser slagged my brilliant, well researched response yesterday,  but I looked up Ashes of Creation, Crowfall, Star Citizen, Camelot Unchained and Dual Universe. 

All of them had backers testing in a playable game environment in less than two years from the end of their Kickstarters.

My guess is the same is true for Pantheon, Saga of Lucima, SotA, Albion Online, Life is Feudal and even Project Gorgon.

Sure, all of the Super Hero MMOs in development have missed the mark but one has to decide if some games really are a business venture vs being just a hobbiest's dream. (Besides superhero MMOs are a dumb idea)

/ducks

;)

Gdemamitweedledumb99

• kenguru23kenguru23 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    lino12 said:
    Scam, scam, scam spam
    I trust these people more than Caspian lol
    AnOldFart
    Vrika said:
    How  Either tell me why I am wrong, or shut the fuck up. Thank you.
    ...if you want to give others an advice on something, you need to make sure you follow that advice yourself in the first place....or as you put it "shut the fuck up"...
    Kumaponkenguru23tweedledumb99
    Kyleran said:
    So I feel qualified

...of course you do, your self-entitlement knows no bounds.

That is kinda an issue here...
    edited August 2019
    lahnmir said:
    Most people use previous experience, comparison to other projects, quotes from people working on (or close to) the project or promises made to give their argument weight and meaning. 
    ..yep, like I said they think they know something.

Thinking you know something usually means you know shit. Which is the case of local armchair devs.
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    So I feel qualified

...of course you do, your self-entitlement knows no bounds.

That is kinda an issue here...
    I'm thinking "hubris" is more accurate, self entitlement would be more like looking in a mirror in your case.

But enough about me, let's get back on topic shall we.

How about the Dutch auction, will it be a resounding success, probably,  enthusiasm is pretty high over in the COE Discord DSS channel with naysayers quickly shouted down or moderated into silence.

GdemamiAnOldFartSlapshot1188

Gdemami said:
    lahnmir said:
    Most people use previous experience, comparison to other projects, quotes from people working on (or close to) the project or promises made to give their argument weight and meaning. 
    ..yep, like I said they think they know something.

Thinking you know something usually means you know shit. Which is the case of local armchair devs.
    Which makes it all the more amazing how accurate arm chair developers are in their assessments and predictions considering how little they have to really work with.

Why, it's almost as if common sense is a super power or something 

Cheers 

:D
    GdemamiSpottyGekkoAnOldFartkenguru23Mendeltweedledumb99

edited August 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Which makes it all the more amazing how accurate arm chair developers are in their assessments and predictions considering how little they have to really work with.

...sure, I assume then you also must believe the Earth is flat because flatearthers predict with 100% accuracy sunrise for every day.

Yeah...common sense, another thing armchair devs think they know about...
    Kumaponkenguru23Kylerantweedledumb99DerryFH