Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does your spouse/partner/boyfriend or girlfriend feel about you playing mmorpgs?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
My wife hates gaming. I have tried to explain its appeal. I have shown her what I consider to be the more interesting bits. But she is unmoved. 

So typically when she complains I propose that I stop playing games for the evening and offer to do something far more annoying. "Sure honey. I can log off. Did I tell you about that documentary I watched this week? Let me catch you up. It was on the Battle of Chancellorsville."  *Wife flees the room*

Maybe someday I will find a way to interest her.

How does that special someone in your life react to you gaming? If you changed their mind somehow, how did you pull that off?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

AsheramScotGutlardPhaserlightSirAgravaine

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited August 2019
    Amathe said:
    My wife hates gaming. I have tried to explain its appeal. I have shown her what I consider to be the more interesting bits. But she is unmoved. 

So typically when she complains I propose that I stop playing games for the evening and offer to do something far more annoying. "Sure honey. I can log off. Did I tell you about that documentary I watched this week? Let me catch you up. It was on the Battle of Chancellorsville."  *Wife flees the room*

How does that special someone in your life react to you gaming? If you changed their mind somehow, how did you pull that off?
    Clearly I am married to your wife's twin sister, Jim, is that you?

My wife loathes gaming, calls me an addict, and once gave me an ultimatum,  give up gaming or give up her.

I told her I'd miss her but she was free to leave.

Still married for over 36 wonderful years.

Sometimes you just have to stand your ground.

;)

[Deleted User]AmatheSovrathWarEnsembleiixviiiixCryomatrixPhaserlightScotAzaron_NightbladeGutlardand 1 other.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    She hates gaming but respects my hobby.
    AmatheSovrath

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Amathe said:

Most of the women I've dated never really liked video games. I did date one who really liked the SIMS but that was about it. She used to make fun of me when I played Neverwinter Nights as there is a sleep tool icon that is an eyelash. She used to say it was the "mascara tool." Was pretty funny the way she would poke fun at the games or get grossed out because of something. 

My current girlfriend is also "not a gamer" but she likes video games. Or more precisely Zelda. We usually play Breath of the Wild together in a very casual/chill way.

She is fine with my hobby but I suspect that it's because I'm a big believer in spending time with the people in my life and then separating out "me time."

I'm perfectly fine dating someone who has no interest in games as long as I can have my "me time" which of course would be balanced by the time we spent together.
    KyleranAmathe[Deleted User]Dragnelus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    My wife and I were competing for the top DPS spot during our raiding years. She eventually moved on to some more casual stuff but still loves a good Zelda and is pretty awesome with Harvest Moon. She doesn’t like most of what I play but finds MH very pretty, just not for her.

Just yesterday she looked at me and said: That Classic thing, is our old guild playing? I swear I saw a little twinkle in her eye  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AmatheSovrathKyleranScot
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    My SO really doesn't mind me playing games, as she really enjoys games as well. Shes more into survival games like Minecraft, ARK, and Conan Exiles and I tend to play those games with her sometimes but they aren't really a game type I can play mainly. She hates my new WoW classic binge I've been on, as it's made me stay up quite late, but she doesn't complain about it much. 
    Amathe
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    My wife is quite okay with it but then that's normal I guess considering I met her online in a game so...lol
    Amathe[Deleted User]Kyleran

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Kyleran said:

Sometimes you just have to stand your ground.

;)

That's the thing, as long as one is up front with everything then "it is what it is."

My temperament isn't such that I'd ever "give up" anything for anyone as the things in my life are important to me. 

Gratz on 36 years!

Amathe

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Throw some money at them. They might hate gaming, but they LOVE money!
    AmatheOctagon7711Scot
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
    Arterius said:

My wife is also very awesome ...
    And that's pretty awesome of you to note that!
    [Deleted User]AmatheKyleranOctagon7711

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited August 2019
    Just remind your significant other that you could be out at the bar running up a $300 tab or chasing other women/men. At least they know right where you are.

I had to tell my wife (then my GF) once that I gamed before her and this is what I do. If she wants to keep it up, it's what I'll do after her too. I do make it a point to her put her before games though. If she needs/wants something, she always comes first.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Amathe
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Hates me playing all games pretty much.
    Amathe[Deleted User]
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    There comes a time when you can only play one MMO, maybe two or three MMOs. That is Ultima Online, as old as it is still gets updates and is supported the only old MMO that is really alive. There is also EVE Online, the only successful pvp sandbox MMO but its adding more pve stuff and becoming even more healthy and alive as pvers flock to the game. And of course WoW, which is the #1 MMO in the world on twitch and the most successful MMO of all time with the most subscribers.

Honors also go to ESO, FFXIV and BDO which are all really healthy and will be supported for 10+ years
    Wrong thread, I think?
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Gutlard

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SunshineeSunshinee Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Xodic said:
    My wife is addicted to her phone. She sits around watching stupid videos, I sit around playing stupid games. We've been happily ignoring each other for 15 years.
    Im fairly young (Im assuming) compared to most on this board. I mostly lurk, but this was hilarious to read as a newly married man. Ive only been married one year but this looks like our future too lol

Thanks to some of these comments in this thread. Now I dont feel as bad.
    Amathe
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    Been together 27 year with the wife. She doesn't play games at all with the exception of board games. She puts up with all my indulgences without a peep. Suddenly a new Harley in the shed, new gun, board game after board game in the mail and hours of being on the computer.... not a peep (unless she wants some bootie, lol)
    Amathe
    Arterius said:
    My wife has Cerebral Palsy so she doesn't have any function is her legs and she doesn't have complete control of her muscles in her arms and hands. She has tried to play MMO's with me in the past but she doesn't have the patience to key-bind to find what works. She does love playing video games. She has her own switch and plays 2d games mostly. Anything where she has to move the camera with a right stick is to hard for her to do. She plays Star dew valley, those NES games on the switch online, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Maker 2, etc... 

She does like watching me play video games. Though that to depends on what it is. I learned that she likes watching me play games where I struggle. She likes giving me advice or being a cheerleader. So loves watching me playing souls like games, Monster Hunter, etc...

My wife is also very awesome not only does she respect my hobby but she always makes sure I get enough time. She honestly worries that I don't play video games enough and is constantly asking me if I get enough time to do so. Though that could also be because I take care of her alot and I know she feels guilty about that.
    Extra crowns in heaven for you friend,  God bless you both.

AmatheSandmanjwKumaponklash2def

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited August 2019
    I might have overdone my gaming some, my daughters have said in the past they'll never marry a man who is a gamer, guess that's one reason why they are still unmarried, haven't met a boyfriend of theirs yet who wasn't. 

In fact one of my daughter's boyfriends came over to my house recently with his 13 yr old daughter to celebrate my birthday. (Along with my daughter of course)

The two of them sat in the living room playing games on their phones or game pads most of the time while we celebrated in the other room.

God has a sense of humor after all.

;)
    Amathe[Deleted User]Octagon7711Sandmanjw

• OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    When me and my GF first met she wasnt a gamer, assumed they were just for kids, i talked her into a full co-op playthrough of gear of war 3, she changed her mind : ) then there was borderlands 2, then league of legends. I stopped playing league, but she has played steadily for 4 years now. 

Never thought love could be built from GoW3, ty Dom, your suicide run made her cry and she never hated games since!
    Amathe
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    DMKano said:
    She feels great about it- as do I about her hobbies. 

Mutual respect
    Honestly if it's not this ^^ and you aren't married, you should run.  Why in the hell should anyone, who professes they love you, not respect your hobby so long as it doesn't keep you from them or your other household responsibilities like a job and chores?   If they have a problem with it then people may want to consider that this person doesn't have that much respect for you as a person.  Now obviously many times the 'problem' is in a very fun loving 'teasing' manner.  I get that.

So obviously my wife doesn't care.  When we have downtime and she wants to do some knitting or other thing I'm not into, she usually suggests I play video games.   Now, will she play video games?  Only if it's The Sims.  And I actually got her to play Rocket League a bit and I get her to play NBA 2k every so often.   Mind you I also don't play like I used to.  I do that thing called 'going outside' quite a bit more than when I was 16.

Not married as long as some others, but very happy 3+ years in.  
    KyleranAmathe

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

edited August 2019
    In all fairness to my dear wife, when we argue about my gaming habits one of her very valid defenses is "when I married you there weren't any video games."

Not quite accurate, I played them mostly in bars and arcades back then, but I didn't own any of the early home consoles.

It wasn't until the PC era got in full swing in the late 80s (along with several young children) that my "obsession" for gaming began (her words) and really amped up when I started on MMORPGs in 2001. (I was late to the party, I know)
    AmatheSovrath[Deleted User]

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I started mmorpg with FF11 2003 and my wife back then use to aggro a lot. Now days it's more like a bonding time when I play in my mancave she joins me and watches netflix/prime/hulu shows which I partially watch as I'm playing, my only downside now days is I play my games without sound which is not a dealbreaker at all. She knows that mmorpg to me are exactly what those shows are for her same type of addiction.
    AmatheKyleran
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I game in our sitting room so my wife watches TV and I game but we still talk and spend time together. If I was in another room for gaming I wouldn't game as much.
    DaranarAmatheKyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I am not married but never had a girlfriend that liked gaming.....
    AmatheOctagon7711
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    No idea. As she doesn't exist and I don't play MMORPGs anymore.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    My ex-wife hated it.  She was a true pain in the ass about it.  My current wife realizes that it is what helps me cope day to day an de-stress, an supports me an my hobby.  She doesn't game but realizes it is an important part of my life.  She has even tried a few times to game with me but it just doesn't appeal to her an that is fine.
    AmatheOctagon7711Kyleran