Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

At least Camelot Unchained developers are focused on the important stuff...

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
https://massivelyop.com/2019/08/26/camelot-uncahined-provides-updates-on-linuxification-efforts-in-the-weekly-dev-digest/#comments

Game is way ahead of schedule, so they have plenty of time to fuck around with getting it to run on Linux.

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    https://massivelyop.com/2019/08/26/camelot-uncahined-provides-updates-on-linuxification-efforts-in-the-weekly-dev-digest/#comments

Game is way ahead of schedule, so they have plenty of time to fuck around with getting it to run on Linux.
    They are getting their SERVERS to run on Linux which cuts costs by 30% according to CSE. This could allow them to have lower monthly sub prices and (speculatively) more and longer tests later in beta. That seems worthwhile to me.

There's plenty of other things to criticize CSE for and I have done so, but I give them a pass on this. The only thing I'd criticize is calling the stage where doing stuff like this happens beta rather than alpha.
    KyleranLokerotweedledumb99illerAxxar

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited August 2019
    meddyck said:
    The only thing I'd criticize is calling the stage where doing stuff like this happens beta rather than alpha.
    Sadly there's a chance this flaw alone will blow things up on them.

The need to keep the hype going in order to keep the funding going results in lots of crowdfunded MMORPGs doing beta stuff before alpha stuff.  But there's a reason WHY developers do alpha stuff before beta stuff.  If things go bad, doing beta stuff first might result in having to throw the entire thing out and start all over, which is a big contributer to why most crowdfunded MMORPGs never seem to make any significant progress in development. (for example, Star Citizen is on like, its third flight model by now, if I recall correctly)

So um... good luck and hopefully that doesn't happen to them I guess.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited August 2019
    CU is probably one of the least hyped crowd funded efforts and they never shill for more money in any of their communications.

These are good moves and I've got no real issue besides why did they wait so long?

Gdemamicameltosisiller

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    This game is still deep in alpha, don't expect anything of substance to play for about 2 years. I might be being optimistic. 
    meddycktweedledumb99
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Viper482 said:
    This game is still deep in alpha, don't expect anything of substance to play for about 2 years. I might be being optimistic. 
    You know, MJ is still targeting years end, 2019.

Yeah, I know, but it is what he told me a few months ago on MassivelyOP, said the moment it was not true the backers would be told right after the investors.

Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Kyleran said:
    CU is probably one of the least hyped crowd funded efforts and they never shill for more money in any of their communications.

These are good moves and I've got no real issue besides why did they wait so long?

MJ actually explained why they waited to do Linux servers on the forum. I can't repost it here due to NDA however. Also there is a comment from him relevant to your most recent comment about launch date on the forum.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kyleran said:

Given the recently reported level of crowd funding I would consider CU to be more investment backed with some pre-orders these days.
    Kyleran
    edited August 2019
    meddyck said:
    Kyleran said:

MJ actually explained why they waited to do Linux servers on the forum. I can't repost it here due to NDA however. Also there is a comment from him relevant to your most recent comment about launch date on the forum.
    New info about the release date eh? I don't read the official forums because of the NDA restrictions, but I'll be sure to call him out on it over on MassivelyOP, as it seems to be one of the few places he visits with any regularity these days.

Gdemamimeddyck