Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Classic Hits Over 1.1 Million Viewers on Twitch - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageWoW Classic Hits Over 1.1 Million Viewers on Twitch - MMORPG.com

As reported by PCGamesN, WoW Classic hit 1.1 million concurrent viewers just yesterday.

Read the full story here

Axxar

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2019
    Gratz Activision-Blizzard. image Good thing J. Allen Brack was right about people thinking they wanted legacy servers, but they really didn't....oh wait...
    PhryTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Asmond had 293K last night when I looked.
    Whiskeydust
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah as already noted by some,this is not about the game but way more about the groupies who follow streamers around like it is something COOL to do.
    The only reason i use Twitch is to learn something about a game,i couldn't care less who is streaming.
    I worry about the new generation of kids growing up that think it is cool to be a Twitch groupie or a Facebook junkie or staring at their cell phones 24/7.
    NorseGodDrius75Gobstopper3DqomaWarEnsembleWhiskeydustOctagon7711Ozmodan

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    DMKano said:
    NorseGod said:

Yep so in reality about a handful of top streamers can pull in near million views.

Goes to show how ridiculously influential just 2 or 3 top streamers can be when it comes to twitch numbers.

They can push just about any game to top spot if they want to.
    Why do you think Apex paid Ninja $1M to stream at release?
    [Deleted User]p4ttythep3rf3ct[Deleted User]Ozmodan
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Wizardry said:

Yeah as already noted by some,this is not about the game but way more about the groupies who follow streamers around like it is something COOL to do.
    The only reason i use Twitch is to learn something about a game,i couldn't care less who is streaming.
    I worry about the new generation of kids growing up that think it is cool to be a Twitch groupie or a Facebook junkie or staring at their cell phones 24/7.

This has been the generation for the past 5 or so years unfortunately. People just experience things through other people which isn't good for them or the people they are 'supporting' in the long run, because eventually these guys quit/take breaks, then what? Most cases they try and find another because they feel 'lost.'
    Whiskeydust
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

DMKano said:

NorseGod said:

Yep so in reality about a handful of top streamers can pull in near million views.

Goes to show how ridiculously influential just 2 or 3 top streamers can be when it comes to twitch numbers.

Is still 1.1 mil viewers. Top viewers accounted for 500k or so, and 600k spread across 19k streamers.

Whatever you guys are saying, we are talking about 1.1 MIL viewers. If that's not enough for , how you guys love to say it, a 15 years old game, then nothing really can make you .. happy!
    uriel_mafesskertinMikehaWhiskeydustTacticalZombehOzmodan

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    DMKano said:
    NorseGod said:

Just look at the boost Mixer for from just Ninja.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Albatroes said:

Wizardry said:

This has been the generation for the past 5 or so years unfortunately. People just experience things through other people which isn't good for them or the people they are 'supporting' in the long run, because eventually these guys quit/take breaks, then what? Most cases they try and find another because they feel 'lost.'

Or maybe since most people could not login the game they decided to check out what was going on? Crazy....I know.
    Octagon7711
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Its all about the rushing right now guys streaming for 24,28, 30- hours trying to get 'world' firsts. Thing is none of the streamers are even close to top of level leader boards. Most of the streamers are 26-28 top guys are probably close to 40 by now.

Its A.D.D. central basically watching guys follow some farming blueprint of just farm instances or elites. Killing the same mobs over and over again. So its also built right into the the BR mentality of loot and die basically. No real game play at all. Just rush around and kill until you die. Except with WoW you dont really die unless youre trying to kill a boss 5+ levels higher than you then you can wipe a group.

Best part is most of these guys streaming were maybe 7-10 when the game first came out. But lets face it this is the most hype the game has gotten since Burning Crusade. So its been awhile.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    1.1M ppl bored waiting on 4h queues :P
    Kyleran[Deleted User]SeelinnikoiDrDreamOzmodan
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

NorseGod said:

what do you want to bet his account has a skip queue function
    NorseGodWhiskeydustOctagon7711DrDream
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Myrdynn said:

NorseGod said:

He actually stayed in-queue yesterday for like .. few hours ( live ) and I am sure that was not the only time.

So, let's bet! :)
    NorseGodOctagon7711

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    edited August 2019
    IceAge said:
    Myrdynn said:

NorseGod said:

He actually stayed in-queue yesterday for like .. few hours ( live ) and I am sure that was not the only time.

So, let's bet! :)
    I wouldn't know but thats cool, If I was blizzard I would give him instant access, I know hes on Faerlina, I am too, and its at like 18k queue right now
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sad really to think this is the way world ends.

;)
    [Deleted User]foppotee[Deleted User]Gobstopper3DlaseritTacticalZombeh

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    edited August 2019

Wizardry said:

Yeah, it's like since when have human beings ever thought it was cool to follow popular people doing stuff? Something is seriously wrong with society today.
    WhiskeydustOzmodan

Mend and Defend

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Myrdynn said:

NorseGod said:

Nope he got kicked from the server the and could not get back on lmfao. No special treatment for him lol. 

He was crying like a child, pathetic man imo. Type in WOW classic kicked from server. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    1.1m watching streams, i can only imagine that is a small fraction of the people who were in the queues to log in, fortunately i didn't have that problem, logged in at around 5 am, logged out at 9pm... forgot what that was like  :p
  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148
    edited August 2019
    This is actually amazing. Its like a social experiment. I doubt we never had a situation like this in the gaming industry before.

And what is most amazing, and a reflection of the world we live in, is that all the actual hate, doomsayers and negative messages come from the devs. Most of the "reviewbombing", lowering spectations and forecasting of rapid stagnation comes from the people that make the game.

Personally I have never seen something like this. Its thrilling and nuts. I cant wait to see new Q&A and news/forum responses from the devs. Flaming, acid spitting, customer abuse, looking down on players (when not directly saying that they are a bunch of morons that dont want what they want)... never seen such trolling before. Its like they cant wait for this endeavour to fail, working so hard in making it a failure it seems they need it to fail.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    This is actually amazing. Its like a social experiment. I doubt we never had a situation like this in the gaming industry before.

And what is most amazing, and a reflection of the world we live in, is that all the actual hate, doomsayers and negative messages come from the devs. Most of the "reviewbombing", lowering spectations and forecasting of rapid stagnation comes from the people that make the game.

Personally I have never seen something like this. Its thrilling and nuts. I cant wait to see new Q&A and news/forum responses from the devs. Flaming, acid spitting, customer abuse, looking down on players (when not directly saying that they are a bunch of morons that dont want what they want)... never seen such trolling before. Its like they cant wait for this endeavour to fail, working so hard in making it a failure it seems they need it to fail.
    While I don't find it thrilling in the same way you do, I agree with you about it being a first. The idea of releasing vanilla has always been absurd to people. There are people commenting on these boards, that are prolific on these boards, that said it would never happen because of x y and z (why call them out personally). And it is absurd exactly because it is unprecedented and expensive. And yes, people hate on WoW and Blizzard in irrational ways.

But... picture it in 3 months...

In my opinion, it'll be a novelty and only the most adoring fans will be left playing it. Which is great for those people and Blizzard both. My brother texted me that he is playing, so now I am playing it. We used to arena together in WoW for years (and raid, etc). But there is something fundamental to the design that is going to turn off a of of players that are trying it out right now.

The amount of tedium is real. The travel. The leveling. The dungeons. This is not for everyone. But right now? I'm loving it.
    IceAgeuriel_mafessWhiskeydustOzmodan
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    hopefully activision takes notice that an old unaltered version of the game is more popular that the crap-storm that is current wow with all its conveniences and shinnies.  In case they cant ill spell it out for them.

Activision: Let Blizzard, Be Blizzard and piss off.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Datastar said:
    hopefully activision takes notice that an old unaltered version of the game is more popular that the crap-storm that is current wow with all its conveniences and shinnies.  In case they cant ill spell it out for them.

Probably would have been awesome advice several years ago, now though, i think Activision is Blizzard  :/
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited August 2019

Phry said:

Datastar said:

Probably would have been awesome advice several years ago, now though, i think Activision is Blizzard  :/

Activision is Blizzard and it is owned by Tencent. So it is Chinese games ;)
    Ozmodan
  • MurmaiderMurmaider Member UncommonPosts: 123
    I'm not sure if this has been answered already, but what are they planning for the future of WoW Classic? Are they going to add expansions minus the game changes such as artifacts and such?
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    The novelty will wear off soon enough.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    nyxium said:
    The novelty will wear off soon enough.
    I wouldn't bet on it, I'm on the EU PVE RP server and the atmosphere is off the scale. 

It's just the right amount of people on the horde troll/orc side and that's not knowing who is on the other side of the world.

I played from the very start of log in which was 11pm Monday and have only hit level 15 last night.

You read the chat and loads of people who never played vanilla are saying it's way better than BFA and they actually feel like they have achieved something. 

Grouping is done through chat and buffing is rampant. You'll be doing a quest and someone buffs ya and moves on, it's great imo. 

Think you'll be will eating your words lol.