Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Right. But is this sandbox?

124»

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited August 2019
    NorseGod said:
    In regards to SC threads, I thought you guys liked it when Star Citizen threads are bumped to the 1st page of the forums. The three of you want this, yes?
    Yeah but we are supposed to be "paid shills" by CIG, what gets me curious, who is paying you? :p 
    BabuinixErillion
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    NorseGod said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Lots of postings when a convention comes up.   :)
    Thank @NorseGod ; haha, but is true every time the convention time comes up some people bother to start hating more intensively so everyone gets triggered on random online forums

It was all so quiet and nice! :D 
    I assume you're discussing other threads and not the topic of this one?

I've already stated that I consider SC to be a sandbox. In some form, but nevertheless.

In regards to SC threads, I thought you guys liked it when Star Citizen threads are bumped to the 1st page of the forums. The three of you want this, yes?
    I thought it was funny that nearly every recent thread is about SC.  Then I check my emails and there's information about the upcoming convention.  It happens like clockwork over the years.  
    NorseGod

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    NorseGod said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Lots of postings when a convention comes up.   :)
    Thank @NorseGod ; haha, but is true every time the convention time comes up some people bother to start hating more intensively so everyone gets triggered on random online forums

It was all so quiet and nice! :D 
    I assume you're discussing other threads and not the topic of this one?

I've already stated that I consider SC to be a sandbox. In some form, but nevertheless.

I thought it was funny that nearly every recent thread is about SC.  Then I check my emails and there's information about the upcoming convention.  It happens like clockwork over the years.  
    Maybe they will showcase another big sandworm and we can all laugh as it bugs out and people swear up and down it will be in game soon
    NorseGod
  • PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    Gylfi said:
    Gylfi said:

///
    A lot of misconceptions in your post but i'll limit myself to a short reply.

The way I see it, for you, sandbox games are nothing more than a wet dream. What you've described cannot and will not work in 2019 (and on). Simply because of the internet that defines the genre. There will be tons of Wikis and guides on how to "cook" the meta recipes and the most efficient ways of progress will be listed in black and white and that'd be that until the developers begin the process of nerf/buff. 

Also calling elder scrolls just a bunch of pretty trees just goes to show that you've actually never roamed off the beaten path in it, if you've ever played it. There's so much stuff happening around...
    A wet dream? SWG, Ultima Online, Mortal Online (bad for many who couldn't cope with its amazingly deep professions system) all happened more than 10 years ago.

I finished Oblivion, and it was a fake, empty benchmark world of bushes being moved by the wind.

Ultima 7 was way more of a simulation than a TES could ever be (not modded, ofc), and i did't even play Skyrim, and i don't need to.

And what about the good Fallout, by Interplay? It wasn't a "life simulation", but the character could use his/her skills practically on EVERY object... most of the time you had no results, but the UI and the skill system did allow the players to interact with everything. Remember? You point to an object, you click and keep pressed, and you could examine, use or use skill. It had a great level of freedom of agency. Maybe that's not sufficient to call it a sandbox, because sandbox needs to simulate ordinary life.

In the end it all comes down to the power of the UI. You don't have a way to interact with the world realistically, you can't have a sandbox that's more than roaming around a world behind a glass, which is what happens, most of the time, even with SC i'm afraid. Don't you guys think?

SC = Strike Commander/Star Citizen  :D
    You have giant misconceptions of what a sandbox game is - it gives you tools to create unscripted events or in other words to fool around. What you described is just doing scripted events on more stuff..that is NOT a sandbox. Fallout I,II is less sandbox than 3 or 4 just because of that and I say that even though I consider fallout 1 and 2 to be better games (because they are better scripted). The most sandboxy part about fallout 1 and 2 is that you can shoot everyone.
    What is sandboxy in fallout 4 for example is that you can pick up thousands of cans, built a bunker, fill it with those cans and shot a nuke into it so that it creates a kind of a weird aluminium fireworks - THAT is sandbox, because no developers consider it when creating the game. Any game which allows for free creation of buildings is a nice example of sandboxyish game. Other example could be eve online where the sandboxyness comes in the form of free rules where consequences of your actions are not scripted but rather carried out by other players. 
    By these definitions I would say that Star Citizen has some good tools to be  a good sandbox game (for example using distress singal to lure players into trap) but it could definately use more 

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited August 2019
    Gylfi said:
    So to sum up, for me a game is sandbox when it starts simulating life in sufficiently realistic ways. And it's not just the physical world, so objects don't just weigh, they have an intrinsical use.

If i had to bet i'd say SC wants to do that. Problem is it also wants to do story-driven gameplay, and it wants to also do a realistic cosmo flight system.
    The things you mention are a bit cray for an MMO, an emergent play that provides the sandbox becomes a main point on the game here.

Mind SC is not SQ42, it's not story driven, you can say it is lore-driven every place is crafted based on lore up to the small details that make the world immersive, but you won't be following up a linear story arch progression that is common on MMOs.