Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your favorite MMO role?

1235»

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Tank but nobody ever appreciates our work.. 

You only hear "hey nice DPS", or "Nice heals" never nice "Tanking".

The most under-appreciated role in MMORPG history. Tanks know what I'm talking about. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    klash2def said:

The most under-appreciated role in MMORPG history. Tanks know what I'm talking about. 
    Don't know what game you are playing then, in the MMO's i've played Tanks, and healers for that matter are valued, DPS are a dime a dozen, nobody cares that much about them as long as they don't dps the wrong target, one of the reasons why the Healers primary role is to keep the tank alive, the dps can die if they pull agro at the wrong time. :/
    Scorchien
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Phry said:
    klash2def said:

Don't know what game you are playing then, in the MMO's i've played Tanks, and healers for that matter are valued, DPS are a dime a dozen, nobody cares that much about them as long as they don't dps the wrong target, one of the reasons why the Healers primary role is to keep the tank alive, the dps can die if they pull agro at the wrong time. :/
    Every game i play , ( and that has spanned pretty much all of them to end game raiding)

Good tanks are coveted and appreciated ..

Bad Tanks do not get appreciated ,   IME
    Phry
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited September 2019
    Well, when I think about my role in an MMO, I don't really think of my combat function - but if that's what we're talking about, then I definitely prefer DPS.

Why? Because it aligns well with my strengths as a player - which is to focus and optimise within a relatively narrow space.

I like to solve problems that are about going all-in on something and maximising performance.

I've tanked and healed plenty - but I find those roles kinda boring, and I honestly think proper DPS is a lot harder and more interesting as a challenge.

That said, my overall favorite "role" - is more outside of combat.

I like to explore things more than anything, I think.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Phry said:
    klash2def said:

He plays ESO and in that game there are probably more fake tanks who queue for that role to get a faster random dungeon pop, despite being just DPS with a shield, if they even bother to slot a shield. Tanks there are viewed with suspicion in PUGs lol.

I've tanked myself some but it's not my thing. Healing or DPS is what I like to do in ESO. I do occasionally get compliments for tanking but that's usually just something like "it's nice to have a real tank in the group for a change" :)

In more serious content like trials though they're very appreciated just like they are in all other MMOs.
    Phry
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    DPS ... Put brain on auto pilot, follow rotation, avoid fire, collect loot
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• surfjamsurfjam Member CommonPosts: 2
    edited September 2019
    crafter/support

I've kinda become addicted to the thrill of managing the underside of aggro, instead of tanking. 
    & DPS often the goldfarming poacher/gathers in open-world game, i prefer the slower progression.

Beyond archetypes, not sure if i pref melee or ranged, mana or stamina? Guess that makes me an NPC 
    Post edited by surfjam on
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    My very favorite of all time is a crowd control/buffer like EQ's old bard/enchanter.  Since nothing like that really exists anymore, even in EQ, I'd say a shield wearing tank.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    No real fave,maybe FFXI Beastmaster but i could play any class if done well enough.

I don't mind being a nuker,a healer,a tank idc just have some fun with some other people.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I thought my best role was crowd control...I liked healing but didn't like getting yelled at when players died so I quit doing that one. I was never the tank type. DPS was fine as long as there wasnt damage meters lol
  • surfjamsurfjam Member CommonPosts: 2
    edited September 2019
    Rigid class options don't work on paper and were a bad idea in the first place.  

Post edited by Vaross on
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Sword & Board all the way!

Feels good to protect silly DPS running off and getting into trouble & Healers in dresses trying to keep them alive.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited September 2019
    surfjam said:

Rigid class options don't work on paper and were a bad idea in the first place.  

What? Rigid class options have worked on paper for 50 years. Why are they a bad idea?

• Reaver4525Reaver4525 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I used to always play a warrior type DPS. Then as I aged I realised so many other classes/roles are much more fun. The mage, all roles possible, usually are fun as hell due to the complexity of using different spells, etc. I also like the Rogue type characters, in a ranged role or melee DPS role (relying on stealth, dexterity, etc).

Basically it doesnt just come down to Tank/DPS/Healer/etc but also the mechanics of the class in question. I like the DPS with low health that needs to be very tactical to survive. The tank or healer is also very interesting and its rare to find really good tanks/healers.
  • smudge1993smudge1993 Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    Tank when I'm playing a game that allows me the opportunity, if not ,then some form of a support class
  • DraktheasDraktheas Newbie CommonPosts: 10
    Tank for sure.. one of the best!
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Bard/Support or Buffer/Debuffer or CCer/Support. I like challenging rolls that are highly sought after. I used to play healer because of that but I got burnt out on that roll with 8 years of Pally healing in WoW. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I can play any class it really doesn't matter to me but the best class i ever played in a game was  the Beastmaster in FFXi.
    I couldn't believe it was the class i avoided until the very last,i was like man i wish i played this from the beginning.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I have no clear preference really.

I enjoy being dd, I enjoy being healer, I enjoy being tank ...

... IF THE CLASS IS FUN. Thats a BIG IF !

For example, in Vanguard:

Warrior sucked balls. Super complex in group, complete loser solo. I was looking for a straightforward all out damage class, and the VG Warrior wasnt anything like that.

Paladin was alright. Good in group, good solo too, albeit a bit low on damage output.

Dread Knight was GLORIOUS. Good enough in group, a king solo.

Rogue was surprisingly fun to play, especially considering I'm no fan of that class. Unfortunately never got far because I only started playing in the last days of Vanguard.

Ranger was always good. Not a fan of the class but it was definitely fun and varied. Like monks rangers had sequences of abilties for effects and they had a summon and they had stealth and a bit of healing and they could make their own arrows and and and.

Monk I'm a huge fan of monks but the Vanguard one was a bit meh. Maybe it got better at higher levels but I didnt get to play them often enough.

Bard was uber powerful and all, just didnt enjoyed them much personally.

Cleric was my main class for the longest time. In retrospect not a good choice. Unkillable solo but also cannot kill squad. Still, it was fun.

Shaman strong healer class, no complaints other than I couldnt play them enough and there was three variants too.

Disciple was OP. Damage output insane, healing just massive, defenses unbelievable. It basically became my "monk" class.

Blood Mage was amazing. Extremely high damage output. The trouble was that one couldnt handle more than one mob. There was zero defenses and while the Blood Mage had endless hitpoints and insane healing, more than one opponent and you couldnt get spells out anymore.

Druid really isnt my class, but the Vanguard one was good and enjoyable.

Sorcerer suffered a lot from them nerfing Chaos Volley. That was the most fun ability ! Otherwise it was a bit of a dull class.

Enchanter was misnamed as Psionicist and not really my kind of deal; I never really got a feel for this class. Would have required a lot more practice, probably.

Necromancer was just awesome. Still I wanted to have something like Chaos Volley on him. I'm not really the damage over time kind of guy.

So, all in all, I most enjoyed Dread Knight, Disciple, Necromancer and I still enjoyed Paladin, Ranger, Cleric, Shaman, Blood Mage, and Sorcerer. Didnt like the Warrior, didnt like the Monk, didnt like the Bard, never really got into Enchanter.

Rogue and Druid are two classes I traditionally rather avoid.

L2 had really strong Rogues. The Tyrants (Monk) there also rock really hard.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    How'd I miss this?  My role is Rezee/Comic Relief.  My preferred role may be anything other than Rezee.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file