Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cyberpunk 2077 Map Smaller Than Witcher 3, But More Dense - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageCyberpunk 2077 Map Smaller Than Witcher 3, But More Dense - MMORPG.com

In speaking with GamesRadar, Cyberpunk 2077 producer Richard Borzymowski compared the map in the upcoming game to that of Witcher 3

Read the full story here

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Sounds like this may be one big Novigrad. I would be down with that!
    [Deleted User]
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Still looking forward to this game. Everything looks good so far.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    All i want is a good online mode

If they don't have one, it's gonna be their biggest mistake ever

Ton of potential, just look at GTA 5 Online..
    Phaedruslives[Deleted User]IselinBaalzharonAzaron_NightbladeCelciusinfomatzMaurgrimgastovski1alkarionlog
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    As long as the gameplay is as solid as Witcher was than the size of the game is no real big deal..
    Octagon7711
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Scellow said:
    All i want is a good online mode

If they don't have one, it's gonna be their biggest mistake ever

Ton of potential, just look at GTA 5 Online..
    No. I don't want gta 5 with a cyberpunk skin.
    KanethdinognLTBK[Deleted User]IselinBrotherMaynard[Deleted User][Deleted User]AlomarBaalzharonand 4 others.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Good! Nothing worse than a huge map where you have to travel far to get to anything. Cyberpunk takes place in a city and you don't have to travel far to find something interesting in a city.
    Octagon7711alkarionlog
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    I think their MP will be more along the lines of coop if they have one.
    [Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Zero_nameZero_name Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I was looking forward to this game, until I found out that it is only single player. Too bad for me.
    LeFantomeIselinNorseGod[Deleted User]jungmtskabitoshinAlomarCelciusinfomatzgastovski1and 2 others.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Zero_name said:
    I was looking forward to this game, until I found out that it is only single player. Too bad for me.
    I know those feels. :(
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Nyctelios said:

Smaller than Witcher 3 still means huge as f***.

But on the topic, I prefer small and more condensed maps over big empty ones - Hence Yakuza usage of map space where you are in such small area in comparison with another RPGs yet they put so much content on it that makes it feel like a real place, alive.

Yakuza fan I see. Good to find another man of culture on this forum. Did you try Judgment?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The map is packed full of stuff !!
    Nice,pretty much a wasted article if only giving us that extremely VAGUE statement.

Is this going to be their marketing ploy,just ramble off vague statements ?
    If they plan on delivering a similar look to a GTA map,well all nice for about 2 days,then it gets boring real fast.
    So will be interesting to see how they make this world come to life or just glittering 2D boxes with pasted on textures.
    Gameplay also matters big time,i would not have fun just romping around entering some buildings looking for a quest.It takes a lot of effort to make this all come together like a world should with systems that carry a lot of depth and not the typical systems like go do this errand and i'll give you this !!1..zzzzzz.
    [Deleted User]Baalzharon

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    edited August 2019
    https://www.nerdmuch.com/games/4299/cyberpunk-2077-map-size/

and the compromises start coming...

i'm sure it's still going to be a huge game, but they did say the game world would be much bigger than Witcher 3 originally
    Our first details regarding the size and scope of Cyberpunk 2077, the next project from The Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt Red, have been given, with one of the developers noting that it will be “far, far bigger than The Witcher 3.” In an interview with MCV, the company’s visual effects artist Jose Teixeria said, “Cyberpunk is far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before. Far, Far bigger.” “We’re really stepping into the unknown in terms of complexity and size and problems we encounter. If anything, The Witcher helped Cyberpunk quite a bit, because the game got so big and so complex that it really taught us. We really didn’t know what was going to happen.”
    gastovski1
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    mbrodie said:

i'm sure it's still going to be a huge game, but they did say the game world would be much bigger than Witcher 3 originally
    Our first details regarding the size and scope of Cyberpunk 2077, the next project from The Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt Red, have been given, with one of the developers noting that it will be “far, far bigger than The Witcher 3.” In an interview with MCV, the company’s visual effects artist Jose Teixeria said, “Cyberpunk is far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before. Far, Far bigger.” “We’re really stepping into the unknown in terms of complexity and size and problems we encounter. If anything, The Witcher helped Cyberpunk quite a bit, because the game got so big and so complex that it really taught us. We really didn’t know what was going to happen.”
    I think it's still a lot bigger game than Witcher 3, just not in square kilometers. A futuristic city has much more stuff to do in smaller area than Witcher 3 which included a lot of procedurally generated wilderness.
    Sovrath

• MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78

Vrika said:

mbrodie said:

Our first details regarding the size and scope of Cyberpunk 2077, the next project from The Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt Red, have been given, with one of the developers noting that it will be “far, far bigger than The Witcher 3.”

In an interview with MCV, the company’s visual effects artist Jose Teixeria said, “Cyberpunk is far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before. Far, Far bigger.”

“We’re really stepping into the unknown in terms of complexity and size and problems we encounter. If anything, The Witcher helped Cyberpunk quite a bit, because the game got so big and so complex that it really taught us. We really didn’t know what was going to happen.”

I think it's still a lot bigger game than Witcher 3, just not in square kilometers. A futuristic city has much more stuff to do in smaller area than Witcher 3 which included a lot of procedurally generated wilderness.

Indeed, I dont think hes talking about the map/room size but the game itself.
    Sovrath
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I'm fine with that. I'm tired of bloated, barren open world maps.

(Not saying that the Witcher 3 is one of those. It's one of the few games to do a large open world properly.)
    kenguru23
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    A map doesn't have to be vast to be interesting.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited August 2019
    Experiencable game content?
    Y'know, like quests, dialogue, events, gameplay mechanic/variety, etc?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Torval said:
    Mowzer said:

Vrika said:

mbrodie said:

Our first details regarding the size and scope of Cyberpunk 2077, the next project from The Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt Red, have been given, with one of the developers noting that it will be “far, far bigger than The Witcher 3.”

In an interview with MCV, the company’s visual effects artist Jose Teixeria said, “Cyberpunk is far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before. Far, Far bigger.”

“We’re really stepping into the unknown in terms of complexity and size and problems we encounter. If anything, The Witcher helped Cyberpunk quite a bit, because the game got so big and so complex that it really taught us. We really didn’t know what was going to happen.”

What does that mean? Total install size? What is being measured when you say "the game itself".
    quests, items, events, Characters, amount of dialogue, etc ...
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259
    mbrodie said:

From what I remember, they were saying this game is going to be very vertical where The Witcher was very horizontal. Skyscrapers being fully explorable, >80% of buildings being enterable, etc. Basically total square footage will be much higher than Wild Hunt, spread out over a smaller footprint.

Honestly I just wish there was a third person mode but at the end of the day, I know I'll enjoy it either way.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    Mowzer said:

Vrika said:

mbrodie said:

There's a lot going on outside of this.In an interview with MCV, the company’s visual effects artist Jose Teixeria said, “Cyberpunk is far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before. Far, Far bigger.”

What does that mean? Total install size? What is being measured when you say "the game itself".
    quests, items, events, Characters, amount of dialogue, etc ...

Thanks dude. I assumed it was map size too and so needed a frame of reference.

I'm in the general consensus that bigger maps don't make a better game. It's relevant to the content and how interaction works. The players will end up deciding if the game feels too cramped or if they nailed it. If the scale tips either way I prefer density over sheer size or scale.
    I agree with you though I prefer the other end of the spectrum. I prefer the breath of breadth.

[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398

Asm0deus said:

I think their MP will be more along the lines of coop if they have one.

From buisness POV, coop in 2019 is stupid, online multiplayer will make your game reach new boundaries and more important, if done right, will make it last decades, ton of replay-ability values
  • SequriemSequriem Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Sounds awesome. Dense is a good way to go about it