Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Three months from now...

perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
Fast forward three months --- Will Wow Classic be considered a success?

I am on the fence if I'll sub or not, but I am hoping it gives players the world that they have missed. 
AlBQuirkyTokken

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Yes....but it's a pretty low bar these days, at least in MMORPG space.

;)
    [Deleted User]cheebaAlBQuirkyScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Arterius said:
    In three months, Yes. Easily. It will be smoking hot. I think the real test will come in eight to twelve months.
    Agreed. I think during the phases we will see some drops during longer phases with upticks every time a new phase hits, but the real long term success will be determined by what happens after Nax. If they just sit on it and let it sit at the last stage forever there will still be a niche group of people playing, large enough to keep it going/enjoyable for those playing it, but not huge. I doubt they do that though and it is still a long ways out from now (maybe a year or so) so we will see then, but also they already kinda of alluded to the idea of going to expansions already. If they go through to WOTLK then they have a looong time to go.

The truth is we won't really ever know how successful WoW classic is just because they don't release numbers for WoW subs (which include retail anyways) unless Blizzard themselves tell us.
    [Deleted User]
  • krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    up to you wether you sub or not but its not like there is anything else worth playing right now. IM playing archage and black desert a bit but will be mostly leaving them for atleast a few mths or so for wow classic.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    It's already a success and a win for Activision.
    It's basically in the same boat as Diablo 3.  It's a huge success just based on the launch rush.  After that it'll just be a war of attrition like any other Progression/Classic style servers.
    It'll leech money for the company for a long while to come, but the population will be a fraction of the initial size before long.

It'll be interesting to see if they actually put any effort into sustaining the health of these servers.  Will they do anything special for them? Or will they basically just launch and go into maintenance mode?
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Sure it will
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    perrin82 said:

I am on the fence if I'll sub or not, but I am hoping it gives players the world that they have missed. 
    this world doesn't exist, never did.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Thane said:
    perrin82 said:

this world doesn't exist, never did.
    If it did, i wouldn't waste time on games, i'd be looking at what the lottery numbers were  :p
    edited August 2019
    DMKano said:
    3 months from now - the 2nd honeymoon phase will be over and attrition will be well under way for many.

It will still be a financial success however just due to sales from week 1 alone.

But longterm numbers should continue to decline month after month 
    Do you think the numbers will eventually level off with some (or many) customers oscillating between Classic and the latest version, especially when a new expansion comes out?

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I look at the Everquest progressive servers and how many they have. I have no doubt that WoW classic will be a hit and will easily be going strong after the first year. How far past that I don't know but for some reason people have no problem starting all over and doing the same thing again.
    AlBQuirky
    I look at the Everquest progressive servers and how many they have. I have no doubt that WoW classic will be a hit and will easily be going strong after the first year. How far past that I don't know but for some reason people have no problem starting all over and doing the same thing again.
    Yeah, but seems they like to restart again and again.  Archeage restarts regularly to huge fanfare,  about to do so yet again.

Even in POE many love restarting back at zero for the new leagues every three months or so.

Not me, I am in standard and plan to stay there for quite some time to come. (Just completed all of the standard maps, next up, time to tackle the Shaper.)

Piece 'o cake  ;)

AlBQuirky

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Dead in 6 months. The novelty of oldety wears of fast.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Three months from now a bunch of people will have reached max level, and will be ready for the next expansion. That will keep happening. And so on until it isn't classic WoW anymore.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited August 2019
    This is why I never join a "progression server" in EQ, though I'd like to play up the Velious expansion (where nOOb armor quests were introduced), or when the Frogloks became a playable race (can't recall that expansion name). Knowing that the "time frame" I'm seeking will last a mere pittance stays my hand from even trying.

The same is staying my hand with WoW.
    Lokero

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    This is why I never join a "progression server" in EQ, though I'd like to play up the Velious expansion (where nOOb armor quests were introduced), or when the Frogloks became a playable race (can't recall that expansion name). Knowing that the "time frame" I'm seeking will last a mere pittance stays my hand from even trying.

The same is staying my hand with WoW.
    Well, I did do the EQ progression server thing.  I can definitely agree with that.  It's fun, in concept, but the value of a progression server fades away so quickly.  I had friends who got me to go back to progression servers 2(or 3?) different times.  I don't think I ever even lasted much past the Kunark release.
    It's fun for a month or two while everyone is levelling and hanging out, then it just kind of fizzles out for me.

At least, in my case, I have absolutely no interest in a classic WoW.  So, fortunately, I won't be getting sucked into this one :p
    I never developed that love for WoW that other people did.  I thought WoW was pretty mediocre in the early days.

Something I really liked about old WoW was the class-specific quests.  Did they bring those back?
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    its going to die down in 6 months. people will finally realize that its not the games that has changed but the player mentality
    AlBQuirky

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    its going to die down in 6 months. people will finally realize that its not the games that has changed but the player mentality
    It's a bit of both. I'm not sure which manifested first, though. It's similar to the chicken and the egg debate ;)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    OMG the streamers will someone please think of the STREAMERS!
    AlBQuirkyNorseGod
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    perrin82 said:

It will still be 3 months longer than of the other current garbage on the market. I'll take 3 months of Quality over 12 months of horse shit
    AlBQuirky
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ColonizerJColonizerJ Newbie CommonPosts: 14
    perrin82 said:

I am excited for it. So three months from now? Will probs return here and tell you all about it  :D
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I have been in the fence, but I do think I'll sub. 
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited August 2019
    WoW classic will lose steam faster than what people think, unless Blizzard dump BFA and focus 100% on Classic development as the main project.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    perrin82 said:

You have to define what that "success" means.

As Kano said, it will be a financial success. So yeah, it will be a success. 

Will it last for years and years and years? Well, there is a contingent of people who say they want this, they might even play on private servers, so as long as they continue then "sure why not?"

Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    perrin82 said:

You have to define what that "success" means.

As Kano said, it will be a financial success. So yeah, it will be a success. 

Will it last for years and years and years? Well, there is a contingent of people who say they want this, they might even play on private servers, so as long as they continue then "sure why not?"
    Once it starts to fizzle out, they can always do what SOE/DBG keep doing.  Launch some fresh-start classic servers to lure back the people who don't like the later expansions, etc.

Of course, EQ has such a small population that they are effectively just cannibalizing themselves and killing off their own servers.  It sort of works, though.  People just move like locusts from the old server to the fresh one.
    For a big game like WOW, it would certainly work.  Launch a couple new servers every 6 months or something.
    [Deleted User]
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited September 2019
    A success? Meaning what, exactly?

I think it will have a decent enough population, though I expect at least half of the current population to have moved on.

People will realize that being "hard and challenging" (which is highly amusing, as someone who can remember the original response to WoW) can't really make up for the fact that the game is ancient, and all content was exhausted ages ago.

Games that are hard and challenging aren't interesting unless they reward you - and there's no way to reward you with the past that you've already been rewarded with.

Well, it can give you a nice warm sense of nostalgia, and some people can live off of that for a good long time.

Some people can tell themselves a story and believe in it, for a very long time.

However, for the vast majority - I suspect they will quietly go play something else.

The reason I believe there's still going to be a decent population in 3 months, is that 3 months isn't that long - and the social commitment involved with guilds and a shared delusion of a new paradise in a 15 years old game, does carry some weight.

Beyond that, there may well be a month or so of actual growth, as this overblown hype-fest is getting curious people to try it out, and share in this fabricated tale of how the old design was superior in every single way - and content is still fresh.

In 6-12 months, however, I suspect something like one-fifth of the current population, at the most.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Financial success and it being a success in the eyes of the world are different.  The Last Jedi was a financial success but hardly looked at as a successful Star Wars movie.