Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 Merging Australian and Japanese Servers August 27 - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imagePlanetside 2 Merging Australian and Japanese Servers August 27 - MMORPG.com

In a forum post, Daybreak Games announced the merger of Australian and Japanese Planetside 2 servers on August 27.

Read the full story here

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I'd pay sub to play PlanetSide 1, just saying.
    gunklackerPhry
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

Xarko said:

I'd pay sub to play PlanetSide 1, just saying.

http://psforever.net/
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Albatroes said:

Strangely they refunded my pre-order but DBG says it is still producing the game. Pretty weird situation.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kudos to DBG for being open about why they are doing this: "the population of players on Briggs is not able to sustain the costs of continuing to operate in that region."

Only allowing transfers through 30th of September though - could be considered brutal; if a player decides to subscribe to a different game for a month say.

It suggests to me that the population must be very small. Especially considering that whilst there are costs they are not that high.
    Phry
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    time to throw another sushi on the barbie
    AsheramScot
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Hatefull
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    A dying company that is owned by an investment company that has nothing to do with games or MMOs. 

Kinda weird an investment company wanted to get involved in a dying MMO company...
    But it's not weird that a media company would, which is what Inception Media Group LLC, (parent company of DBG, just FYI) is. When you actually have a clue what you are talking about it makes more sense.

Sadly this server merger will most likely do more damage to the waning population of this game than help it.

Hatefull said:

A dying company that is owned by an investment company that has nothing to do with games or MMOs. 

Kinda weird an investment company wanted to get involved in a dying MMO company...

But it's not weird that a media company would, which is what Inception Media Group LLC, (parent company of DBG, just FYI) is. When you actually have a clue what you are talking about it makes more sense.

Sadly this server merger will most likely do more damage to the waning population of this game than help it.

I wouldn't invest in a dying MMO company...in fact I wouldn't invest in any dying company. Very strange they would.

I'll give it that maybe they are milking DBG for all its worth and what they really wanted was the IPs to sell. Spend as little as possible, make money off the IPs.

That is the only explanation of why someone would have wanted to invest in a dying company.

Except it's not dying, so I mean there is that. Next you will reference the server merge and tout that as the "reason" it is dying, this will also be wrong. While this game has a pretty decent following in Asia and Australia most of the players from those regions already play on U.S. Servers, mostly Connery.

Despite what I said above, I believe it will cause numbers of U.S. player to dwindle but that will be absorbed by the incoming Japanese, other Asian and the remainder of the Aussies.

The reason it will cause U.S. players to lose interest is server side hit detection which gives huge advantage to players with high pings. Which is why the majority of the Asian market already plays on U.S. servers and why the server designated for that market are no longer profitable. I doubt they ever were.

This hyperbole that DBG is dying, or whatever, has been going on since they cancelled EQ Next, yet they are still here and releasing content.
    Phrygastovski1

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    Time for Australian to learn Japanese ;)
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Hatefull said:

I wouldn't invest in a dying MMO company...in fact I wouldn't invest in any dying company. Very strange they would.

I'll give it that maybe they are milking DBG for all its worth and what they really wanted was the IPs to sell. Spend as little as possible, make money off the IPs.

That is the only explanation of why someone would have wanted to invest in a dying company.
    They are making what they can out of what remains, all thats left is to keep on cutting costs, the merge is only really about saving money, the game itself is still dying but at least by doing this they can optimise what remains of the revenue, far more important than worrying about how this impacts the players, this is about money after all. :/
  • dinogndinogn Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Nice, so they're going to have a server with japanese who are very bad in english, and australian who even other english country struggle to understand lol.
    This past Saturday, 24 August, I saw some of the biggest fights I have seen in years. This is most likely due to the temporary increase in XP gain, but it was still really fun.