Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most populated MMORPG right now?

124»

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Phry said:
    As of 27 Aug 2019 the most populated MMO is probably going to be WoW Classic. ;)
    I bet Blizz will release sub numbers again if classic does well
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I would feel confident in speculating the following order of things:

1. WoW (by a long way largely due to classic)

2. FFXIV (behind WoW by a fair amount now due to classic, but well clear of the rest)

3. ESO

4. BDO

5. No idea about the rest.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2019
    Albatroes said:
    Phry said:
    As of 27 Aug 2019 the most populated MMO is probably going to be WoW Classic. ;)
    I bet Blizz will release sub numbers again if classic does well

This is very typical of Blizzard,instead of telling you WHY the game is good to play they simply post numbers.I guess they figure all gamer's are dummies and just jump off the bridge if they see everyone else jumping off.

I got news for you Blizzard,you should operate your entire business differently,quit being so cheap with implementation,quit worrying about filling your coffers with loads of money so your board members remain happy.

The proper way to run a business is to give back to those MILLIONS that made you a popular brand,put a AAA effort into your games instead of thinking of new ways to monetize them.

It wasn't always this way but the past 4 or so years Blizzard has become all about $$$$$$ and nothing else.Just look at Hearthstone,it was at one point their biggest money maker,NOW the game is dying out quickly and losing many of it's star names.Blizzard has put no effort into the game and it's content,every single content idea is a lazy rehashed idea.Diablo 3 was atrocious,they actually made the  game worse and areas of armor looked unfinished.HOTS,well we got more heroes for you to buy and nothing else.OW a completely handcuffed game,instead of opening up the modding like other games do,Blizz wants full control to yet again,further monetize it.UT is a far more skilled game,fully implemented for the public gamer's and it's 100% FREE.

Activision is doing no better because they are also more worried about $$$ than the quality of their games.Forcing overhead out the door and removing bonuses does NOT equate to better games,better management yes but not better games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Most populated might be a fair question but not one that matters,not even remotely.Any game could own 99% of the entire market,if i felt it wasn't a good game,i would not be playing it just because everyone else is,i can think for myself thank you very much.

I would be more interested in threads IF they ever exist where by gamer's dissect game content ideas,the designs so we can determine the better system designs and who is doing a better job of actually "developing" the genre.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited August 2019
    "The most populated" was always a turn off for me...I don't really like to go where the masses go, but I'd rather blaze my own trail, even if theres only a few others playing.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Apples, oranges, even pears.

WoW largest subscription mmorpg in the west - yep. World - how is it performing in China since they introduced the subscription. And now you have the negative sentiment created by the sanctions - could be a factor. (And maybe AB will be ordered out of China by the god king!)

WoW largest mmo? Fornite is an mmo! @Phry I am sure you meant to say mmorpg. A lot of mmos have some form of optional plan as well - usually annual.

Which brings us to non-subscription mmorpgs. No sub needed. And at that point you are trying to compare apples with oranges and even pears.