Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who spends more $ the Pvp'ers or Pve'ers?

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
Got in a debate on Steam who contributed more to forums, game, and moneys to ASE (playing Ark Survival atm).  Figure the game wigs care most about monay.  So who gives more to mmorpg's?  The pvp crowd or the pve crowd?  Not who plays the most, but which invests the most money?

Someone is going to say but what about pvpve?  Or those of us who do both pvp and pve?  You don't count in this estimation.  This is about the diehards at war for which is best; pvp or pve.

AlBQuirky

Comments

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    On an individual level PvP players are more extreme spenders.
    On a global level, PvE players spend more, as there is a lot more of them.
    Octagon7711SandmanjwGdemamiAzaron_NightbladeSovrathCryomatrixAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    In American markets PvE players are bigger spenders.  Though that's in older games that focused on a mix of player types achiever/explorer/socializer/killer.  In newer games most companies lock that data down far more.

In Chinese games PvP players are absurd spenders on things like public rankings and similar (maybe technically PvE achievers if you wish to argue that).  Likewise the devs of such games are willing to turn on/off mechanics like open world PvP on anything from individual/guild/server wide based on who is being obnoxious.  (Chinese companies still love to brag about their whales, though I imagine that'll change eventually).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I wish those big spending pve players would join my groups, because all I'm seeing is undergeared, trash casuals. lol
    AlBQuirky
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    NorseGod said:
    I wish those big spending pve players would join my groups, because all I'm seeing is undergeared, trash casuals. lol
    Hey! I represent that remark!!!  :)
    NorseGodSovrathAlBQuirky

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I think it depends on the game. If it's a PvP focused game obviously people who are PvPers are going to spend more than the PvE players. If it's a PvE focused game it will be the opposite.
  • BitterbonesBitterbones Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I think it comes down to being obsessed and 'hardcore' which isn't really exclusive to either category.

My best guess is that $ per player invested is much higher among pvp players.  Pvper's tend to be mostly pretty hardcore and obsessed with victory.  There are far fewer casuals in pvp from what I have seen over the years. 

There are tons more casuals in PVE imo, so the $ to player ratio plummets in that category.  But the most obsessed 'hardcore' pvers certainly spend on par with the top pvper's.

In terms of total $ per category (pve vs pvp), I think it would have to be pver's just because of the sheer numbers.
  • krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    pvpers by far which is why most free games with a cash shop focus mostly on pvp.
    GdemamiNorseGodbcbully
    NorseGod said:
    Hey! I represent that remark!!!  :)

SovrathAlBQuirky
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Those who are always looking for bragging rights over people who don't do what they do.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Neither. It's the fashionistas.
    TillerNorseGodhallucigenocideAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited August 2019
    On an individual level PvP players are more extreme spenders.
    On a global level, PvE players spend more, as there is a lot more of them.
    That's about the right of it which is why I often tell pvpers in the elite dangerous forums, that are advocating content to open only to force solo/group players to open, that Fdev should make an open pvp and open pve server and lets see who really pays fdev's bills.

Regardless to say there's lots of salty tears and gnashing of teeth and mental gymnastic about it by the pvpers...lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Whichever group is more "cash liquid" and fully believe pixels have a monetary value?
    Gdemami

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Hardcore raiders were extremely high up on the money buyers list due to the absurdity of consumables back in vanilla wow and early tbc. Nowadays the games with progression PvE doesn't force you to nolife that hard and the games that ask you to pony up cash have more PvP focus.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • chukekle1chukekle1 Member UncommonPosts: 33
     Unless the game is pay 2 win PvEers will always spend more cause the majority of cash shop stuff is cosmetics, anytime you can buy gear in a cash shop it is a pay 2 win game.
  • QQMorePleaseQQMorePlease Member UncommonPosts: 51
    No real PvP game worth its salt is going to offer any pay2win mechanics outside of the PvE realm...its all cosmetic
    Iselin said:
    Neither. It's the fashionistas.
    I didn't realize how "serous business" this was for gamers until just a few years ago.
    AlBQuirky
  • ColonizerJColonizerJ Newbie CommonPosts: 14
    I'd go with PVP players. Only way to beat the *skilled* PVP'ers is through gear. :wink:
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited August 2019
    Depends on the game. In Neverwinter/ArcheAge/BDO, the PvPers.. in GW2/ESO/SWTOR, the PvEers.
    AlBQuirky
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Probably pvers, because most pvpers playing mmorpg also pve.  
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Hardcore pvpr who has also been an elite pver. Now a days I’m far more PvP focused. The only game I’ve spent money in is planetside 2, maybe 70-80$. I gained no advantage what so ever, I did gain variety and new options tho.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • sbobet_fyisbobet_fyi Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    wowww
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    the ones who spend big are the whales, if a game offer both pvp and pve, the top pve spenders are also the top pvp spenders, I don't ever remember someone being the top of one not being the top of the other
    bcbully
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • fcweddfcwedd Member UncommonPosts: 196
    If I had to guess, I would say that PvE players spend more money. They seem to be the more of the "collector" type. I'm sure they soak up most of the cash shop cosmetics (costumes, mounts, etc). Generally, PvE players are more mature and most likely have much more disposable income than PvP players.