Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fess up. Who sometimes gets their kids to step in and play during hard or boring parts of the game?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
Ok, ok. Maybe I suck as a parent. But it seems symbiotic. The kids want to play Dad's game. Dad is old, slow, and impatient. So yes, I have had them step in a few times. I'm not proud. 

Anyone else ready to take a shameful bow?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

SovrathCryomatrixAriesTigerAlBQuirkyalkarionlog

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited August 2019
    Well I don’t have kids but I hate cooking in games so let my girlfriend do it in breath of the wild. I should add that she actually likes it though hates cooking in “real life.”
    AmatheAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    For example. EQ2 once had a Valentine's day event where roses appear on the ground. Collect the roses. Turn the roses in. Get stuff.

Or ....

SELL the roses to people who actually give a shit. For quite a lot.

So I had my then elementary age son run around collecting roses. Many, many hundreds of roses. Which I sold. 

I felt exploitive and dirty, even. But it was a lot of coin. He didn't seem to mind. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    lol first kid is due this September, my wife often has me do the crafting grind for her in lotro because i have more time. I cant wait till he is older now I see my gathering monkey 
    SovrathAmathe
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I do all my stuff myself and expect my kid to do all his stuff himself.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Dang it i knew there was a legit reason to have kids... Oh well can´t be arsed now. 
    Amathe

This have been a good conversation

• natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    for sure while back in vanilla wow while going for pvp honor in those very long av battlegrounds I sometimes let my oldest son play for a couple hours or so,he was 16 at time tho,got him hooked on wow a short time until he found girls lol.
    Amathe
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited August 2019
    Never to play on my behalf but I used to have my son sign on my characters in Vanilla WOW when he got home from school so I could burn down the login queues before I got home.

There were some games I asked him to create placeholder characters to reserve my names during their initial launch windows.

Also, early on EVE didn't have skill training queues so on occasion one would expire while I was at work and I'd ask my children to login and set a new skill training.
    Amathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    My kid is 4. I plated HC PoE so no, now i play SC 2, so no.

I do sometimes play entropia but that is real money, so no.

Amathe
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I do this by "babysitting" for the neighbors. Their kids play my game for me and I loot the rewards lol.
    KyleranAlBQuirkyAmathe
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    What else are kids/younger siblings for?
    Amathe
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I was kinda bad at the fatalities in MK11 so I let my 4 year old daughter do them to farm currency....

I joke, I joke. All my gaming stuff is completely off limits for the kids, they’ve got their own on their Ipads.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirkyAmathe
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Albatroes said:
    What else are kids/younger siblings for?
    Yardwork and cleaning out cat boxes of course.

;)
    AlBQuirkySovrathAmathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Ya got me :(

My son has stepped in for me a few times in a few games.
    Amathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    I trained my 5 year old to gas mine in wormholes. She did die to sleepers, but only because i thought i had triggered and cleared that site already.
    Amathe
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    MAN I WANT KIDS 
    ;-(
    AmatheKyleran

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    strange, I had children, cousin and nephew, asking for me to pass hard parts,

I never ask for help, if i'm bored with such part or I suck it up and do it for the reward, or don't do it, expecting someone else do my part is not only lazy, but not a good way to teach children, even passing the "hard" part for my cousins was more like he would sit together with me and then see what I do so he could learn how to do it, it alwyas had details they would miss and they learned, then they could pass the "hard" part alone after
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I can't get my boys to like anything I like. It was the whole reason I agreed to plant 'the seed' and have them... I wanted to finally play MMORPG's with a group of peeps with no drama. Oh well.

They like Fortnite FFS....but have seemed to move on from that, so IDK.

They're still young so there's still hope. They don't even know all the genres available out there. Fingers crossed!

I almost got them to play Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel with me, but that lasted like an hour...

Gut Out!
    AmatheKyleranCryomatrix

What, me worry?

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    strange, I had children, cousin and nephew, asking for me to pass hard parts,

I never ask for help, if i'm bored with such part or I suck it up and do it for the reward, or don't do it, expecting someone else do my part is not only lazy, but not a good way to teach children, even passing the "hard" part for my cousins was more like he would sit together with me and then see what I do so he could learn how to do it, it alwyas had details they would miss and they learned, then they could pass the "hard" part alone after
    Children can be helpful. For example, I'll bet if you asked one nicely they could show you how to write a paragraph with more than one sentence. Give it a try, and good luck!
    Kyleran

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    #sickburns2019!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited August 2019
    Mines only 16 weeks old. Wife tells me I'm not allowed to introduce her to games yet. Some baloney about screen time habits  :)
    AmatheKyleranAlBQuirky
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.