Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Do We Need More Mounts? - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2: Do We Need More Mounts? - MMORPG.com

Path of Fire introduced mounts to the world of Tyria, a request which players called for even as far back as the first release of the legacy edition of Guild Wars 2. Years later, we finally have a slew of new mounts and modes of transportation, but as ArenaNet continues to add new ways to traverse the world, we as players have to stop and ask ourselves, do we really need MORE mounts?

Read the full story here

Comments

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    GW2 has by far the best mount system in any mmorpg imo. But Anet is overusing this system. They act like mounts are the answer for almost all of the problems in the game and they are ignoring the real problems for a long time now. WvW is broken and dying. And what is Anet's answer to this problem? Mounts! Which created a lot more problems for the game mode and literally fixed nothing. The game desperately needs some new content with some replay value. What is their answer to this problem? A new mount that you can only acquire after a time gated progression.

The game is getting worse and worse. Streamers are quitting left and right. Forums are crying for some answers. PvP is literally dead with the worst class balance this game has ever seen. WvW is dying rapidly for a lot of different reasons. And they release new pve content in like once every 5 months which is extremely slow. And the content they release mostly have 3 to 4 hours gameplay value. I don't know what's happening in Anet but I'm really really sad that this game is in a condition like this rn. I hope they can announce some solid changes on August 30. Otherwise I don't know what will happen to this game tbh.
    LandoSystemmaskedweaselOctagon7711Roman291[Deleted User]
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Yes. Specifically an underwater mount. That would be a great quality of life feature, especially for Core Tyria where underwater content is more prevalent.

Give us a shark, please.
    der_bayer36Octagon7711Rinswind89AI724
  • gremjs03gremjs03 Member UncommonPosts: 15

Aeander said:

Yes. Specifically an underwater mount. That would be a great quality of life feature, especially for Core Tyria where underwater content is more prevalent.

Give us a shark, please.

Assuming we go with an underwater focused expansion / living world season this would be ideal. I do think they might have to revamp underwater combat if they go this way in the future but it would be nice to see a shark mount. After that I can't imagine any other mount type that would be needed. We already have mounts for vertical/horizontal distance, flying, hovering, & teleporting. Swimming would be the only one left for map traversal.
    der_bayer36
  • ahmalikahmalik Member UncommonPosts: 9
    What they should do is buff the skyscale and give it new mechanics since its suppose to be a legendary mount considering the tedious tasks we have to do to get it.
    maskedweaselAI724
  • Grunt350Grunt350 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    The Skyscale are not real they are just a myth made by the asuras. In my opinion the skyscale are not worthy the effort and time to get one.

Arena needs to fix the mess that gw2 is right now, instead of adding more mounts or more unnecessary ascended items in a desperate attempt to keep people's attention.
    maskedweaselOctagon7711LandoSystem
    Grunt350 said:
    The Skyscale are not real they are just a myth made by the asuras. In my opinion the skyscale are not worthy the effort and time to get one.

Arena needs to fix the mess that gw2 is right now, instead of adding more mounts or more unnecessary ascended items in a desperate attempt to keep people's attention.
    Speaking of unnecessary ascended items, I saw an announcement for Ascended food and legitimately thought it was an out of season April Fool's joke.
    Octagon7711

Aeander said:

Grunt350 said:

Speaking of unnecessary ascended items, I saw an announcement for Ascended food and legitimately thought it was an out of season April Fool's joke.

Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the prices of materials are going to dance again. Seriously anybody in the game or the forums was asking for something like that?
    Grunt350 said:

Aeander said:

Grunt350 said:

Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the prices of materials are going to dance again. Seriously anybody in the game or the forums was asking for something like that?
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/party-harder-with-ascended-food/

It's real, it's ridiculous, and it is deeply out of touch.
    Octagon7711AI724

Aeander said:

Grunt350 said:

Aeander said:

Grunt350 said:

This is very worrisome and depressive.
    Octagon7711
  • der_bayer36der_bayer36 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited August 2019
    GW2 mounts come with great gameplay mechanics but we still need an underwater mount before being done with mounts :D
    Octagon7711AI724
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I think they have just the right amount of mounts now.  

If they keep adding more, the methods of "uniqueness" will start getting more and more contrived and they will start out-competing each other.

If they do more underwater content, then I'd like 2 more mounts for underwater travel, each doing different things.  

If not, I think we are fine as-is.  
    Octagon7711
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    gremjs03 said:

Aeander said:

Give us a shark, please.

Assuming we go with an underwater focused expansion / living world season this would be ideal. I do think they might have to revamp underwater combat if they go this way in the future but it would be nice to see a shark mount. After that I can't imagine any other mount type that would be needed. We already have mounts for vertical/horizontal distance, flying, hovering, & teleporting. Swimming would be the only one left for map traversal.
    Yeah underwater combat sucks nuggets.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Do they have a flying monkey wearing a little fez? If no, more still needed.
    maskedweaselSovrathOctagon7711AI724

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543

Aeander said:

Grunt350 said:

Aeander said:

Grunt350 said:

To be fair, they announced they were going to add 500 cooking all the way back in April, and then buff jewel crafting soon after, which needs it because jewel crafting is kinda useless outside of a few time gated crafting mats.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/whats-next-for-guild-wars-2/

APThug said:

Aeander said:

Grunt350 said:

Aeander said:

Grunt350 said:

To be fair, they announced they were going to add 500 cooking all the way back in April, and then buff jewel crafting soon after, which needs it because jewel crafting is kinda useless outside of a few time gated crafting mats.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/whats-next-for-guild-wars-2/
    It's not so much a matter of transparency as priorities. Should these really be priorities when underwater combat has been worthless from the start, PvP is fucked, WvW is more fucked, and dungeons (which the game still ludicrously directs new players to do via mail) are so bad that they turn new players off of the game entirely.
    maskedweasel
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited August 2019
    Both the Sky Scale and the Warclaw are just a reskin of the Griffon mount. The Griffon costs 250 gold in game to get along with the all the collections etc. None of these are Legendaries. I feel Legendaries add nothing to the game and in point of fact are basic ways A.Net generates money (since they cost time energy and gold).

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like the idea in the article about expanding mastery abilities rather than adding new mounts.

I stopped after getting the griffon as I seldom WvW and the SkyScale is just to much work for what it can do.

An underwater mount would be great.
    maskedweasel

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Anet is lost! They have lost touch with the game and the people that play it. They have ran out of ideas and the only thing they can think of is mounts? And everyone wanting underwater mount? For what? People hate underwater combat and only go in the water for quests! It's better that they spend the effort on fixing the problems then to worry about a shark mount!
    maskedweasel
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    This game is unplayable, end game has always been NON existent. Now all the "fluff" has gotten completely out of hand. How about giving us some MEANINGFUL content, a significant LVL cap raise and a reason to get there!
    AeanderPuReDusTUnbino
    Dr_Binks said:
    Anet is lost! They have lost touch with the game and the people that play it. They have ran out of ideas and the only thing they can think of is mounts? And everyone wanting underwater mount? For what? People hate underwater combat and only go in the water for quests! It's better that they spend the effort on fixing the problems then to worry about a shark mount!
    A shark mount WOULD fix problems, though. It would mean much less time is spent on the game's worst content, and that is a win for everyone.
    Octagon7711
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    edited August 2019
    The purpose of the original five mounts was to help sell the expansion. The purpose of the new mounts was to sell new skins and to a lesser extent to keep the players occupied with tedious busywork (especially skyscale).

Not adding any new mounts and instead giving their abilities to existing ones via new masteries would not be a good business move. In addition to depriving Anet of additional income and of the semblance of content, it would also mean re-working zones to add more mastery points, as the extra masteries in the existing lines would require many more mastery points - which would be a fairly time-consuming process, unless you'd be willing to break the PoF open world flow by simply dumping a truckload of points all over the maps.

Post edited by BrotherMaynard on
    AI724Octagon7711
  • AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Yes. We need just 1 more mount that can go flying in the air and diving under the water (think Chinese dragon. Remember the mini dragon pet?). This mount should come along with the "next" Cantha expansion as the ultimate end game item!

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Is it just me? I dont give a s*** about mounts in mmos. I am ok to have one mount for riding. Flying just destroys the games. All the work hours the devs of mmos put into mounts should have been put into content.
    thighhighsThupli

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Lonzo said:
    Is it just me? I dont give a s*** about mounts in mmos. I am ok to have one mount for riding. Flying just destroys the games. All the work hours the devs of mmos put into mounts should have been put into content.
    ESO mounts I like because they help you move faster from point A to point B.  GW2 mounts are good because of the same, plus over water travel and being able to reach some areas a little easier using a specific type of mount.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I agree that the skyscale is very underwhelming.