Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw – Trader Tips - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageRebel Galaxy Outlaw – Trader Tips - MMORPG.com

Red Thomas explores Dodge Sector from Louisiana to Sweetland in search of the best margins and most unexpected deals. If you’d like to increase your available capital through the art of the deal, this is the Rebel Galaxy Outlaw article for you.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    I want this game, I just don't know if I can bring myself to buying it on Epic due to all the contention. I bought Griftlands alpha, but only because they include a Steam key. I'm thinking I'm gonna wait a year this to hit Steam.
    Gdemami
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Tiller said:
    I want this game, I just don't know if I can bring myself to buying it on Epic due to all the contention. I bought Griftlands alpha, but only because they include a Steam key. I'm thinking I'm gonna wait a year this to hit Steam.
    I started not to, but then I got to thinking about it.  Buying through Epic means more money for the developers.  I like the game a lot and want to support them.   That all made it a lot easier for me.
    ValdheimTacticalZombeh
    Well the game looks pretty fun, I liked the first Rebel Galaxy so I may consider it since I dislike the idea of waiting a year. There is really no point other than to make a stand against something some perceive as anti-consumer. Really I just like the steam achievements, workshop and trading cards that come with most games. Reviews are helpful to some extent and forums only occasionally helpful, none of which is offered by Epic.

I'm Not sure if they are trying to squelch antagonistic players and reviewers from having a voice on their platform or just slowly working on those features, either way they are lacking. There are a bunch of other games hitting the market in 2020 around the same time this launches on Steam so if I wait I might be too bogged down with those. Difficult choices to make xD.
    Gdemami
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Tiller said:
    I started not to, but then I got to thinking about it.  Buying through Epic means more money for the developers.  I like the game a lot and want to support them.   That all made it a lot easier for me.
    They also did a lovely “Reading the Comments,” that is worth something too  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    This probably would have been a instant purchase on Steam but since its Epic I decided to wait, Glad i did . After watching several Youtube gameplay videos game looks wayyyy to simplistic and not enough depth. Probably won't buy at all now tbh.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• gastovski1gastovski1 Member UncommonPosts: 98
    its a trash game, real trash.
    WalkinGlenn
    This probably would have been a instant purchase on Steam but since its Epic I decided to wait, Glad i did . After watching several Youtube gameplay videos game looks wayyyy to simplistic and not enough depth. Probably won't buy at all now tbh.

I will say, that's not an unfair position.   It's a pretty straight forward game and there's not a lot of complexity to it.   I think it's a really attractive game, the story is moderately interesting, and it's exceptionally well scored.   One of the best game soundtracks you can find.

That doesn't bother me much, though.  I know how tiny the studio is, so having a game that's a little light on mechanics and content doesn't really bother me much.   Honestly, it was pretty much a must buy in my case just because I liked the score so much.
    ValdheimTacticalZombeh
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The upgrade system is pretty lite (Just like the original). But the combat seems more traditional space dogfight.

It would benefit so much from ability trees and upgrades like in Star Wolves or that other good game, Star Nomad is it? But, out of boredom I tried it and actually like it a lot more than I thought I would. I hate trading and flying to mine shit so I'm just sticking to story content and mercenary missions, and it is keeping me playing and not bored so far.

My big gripe is kind of a non-issue for playing - they advertise you should play with a controller. Since I am a civilized, non-barbarian who plays on a civilized PC and use the vastly superior input devices of KB+M and would never plug a barbaric filthy savage instrument like a controller into my PC - I have to dock the game major credit for designing it for filthy savage monkeys instead of civilized people with class and taste. But, since you can rebind everything, and contextual keys are done well, I would have never even noticed this major issue if they didn't literally advertise it in huge capital letters. So, even though it isn't really issue in play, I take issue with devs designing for monkey instruments for monkey barbarian savages.
    ValdheimTillergastovski1Red_ThomasWalkinGlennTacticalZombeh
    blamo2000 said:
    The upgrade system is pretty lite (Just like the original). But the combat seems more traditional space dogfight.

It would benefit so much from ability trees and upgrades like in Star Wolves or that other good game, Star Nomad is it? But, out of boredom I tried it and actually like it a lot more than I thought I would. I hate trading and flying to mine shit so I'm just sticking to story content and mercenary missions, and it is keeping me playing and not bored so far.

My big gripe is kind of a non-issue for playing - they advertise you should play with a controller. Since I am a civilized, non-barbarian who plays on a civilized PC and use the vastly superior input devices of KB+M and would never plug a barbaric filthy savage instrument like a controller into my PC - I have to dock the game major credit for designing it for filthy savage monkeys instead of civilized people with class and taste. But, since you can rebind everything, and contextual keys are done well, I would have never even noticed this major issue if they didn't literally advertise it in huge capital letters. So, even though it isn't really issue in play, I take issue with devs designing for monkey instruments for monkey barbarian savages.
    No joke, I actually bought a controller just for this game.  It's the only one I've used it on, and probably the only one that I will for a while.   There are a few VR games that the controller is the better option for, as well.  I also got it because I planned to use it there.

Otherwise, right there with you.   I'm bothered that so many games these days are directly advertising themselves as being better with a controller.  It just proves that the Philistines have taken over and the golden age of PC gaming has slipped into the realm of hazy history.
    blamo2000TacticalZombeh
    Lol at you guys.

Using a wheel for a racing game? No problem
    Using a flightstick for a flying game? No problem
    Using a arcade stick for a beat em up? No problem
    Using a controller for certain 3d games? HELL NO

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Hariken

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Playing this or the first one with Keyboard and mouse was a real let down. The devs claimed it was playable with Keyboard and mouse but it was so bad that People got refunds on the game.
    Ginaz
    Hariken said:
    Playing this or the first one with Keyboard and mouse was a real let down. The devs claimed it was playable with Keyboard and mouse but it was so bad that People got refunds on the game.
    The first game was rough with a KB mouse, it was easier with xb controller, but few people complained at the the time since there was on single axis gameplay. Judging from this video they actually made it easier to use KB mouse than the first game.

SWG Bloodfin vet

Hariken said:
    I don't see this - I had no issues with KBM at all.  I would have had no idea it wasn't designed for KBM if the devs didn't tell me (with literal all capital letters).

And I am sensitive to this shit.  I constantly complain about the shit UI for console games that are ported to the PC, like Bethesda's Fall Outs, etc.  As a controller hating, PC control and PC UI promoting civilized person - I just don't see it.  Believe me, if thought the controls sucked even a little for KBM I would not hold back.

lahnmir said:
    Lol at you guys.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I use a KBM for everything.  The only civilized, acceptable non-KBM input device for a civilized PC user is those little mini-partial keyboard things.  I forget the name but I have one - joypad is it?

The bottom line is games designed for consoles and controllers have shit controls and shit UIs.  They have pre-wheel technologies for inventory management like lists instead of a real inventory with icons and right click to equip or drag and drop.  They have retarded controls like where you usually have to go through 79 menus just to change your pants.  Its complete shit and inefficient and makes games far worse.

It also drastically bleeds into game design.  For controller designed games you assume a console audience.  Console audiences like simple games, clear choices, heavily dictated stories, pre-generated and defined characters, and very simple and lite systems.  I want the exact opposite of that - I want extremely complex systems, to create my own character, to create my own story and not have a predefined one dictated to me, tons of complex, ambiguous choices, etc.  

It bleeds into other aspects big and small - controller - sitting on a couch away from your TV (less text, more VO, keep it simple and easy to understand, try and avoid menus since going through menus is a huge pain, the game will be simple and they don't want the player to have to do any thinking or heavy lifting).  KBM- sitting up in a chair at a desk with the monitor right in front of you - more reading, more complexity, no big deal to tab out and look information up on systems, slower gameplay, more focused on player agency, choices, and creating.  More involved.  Far superior input devices allow for much better, more civilized and modern UIs and functionalities.  More options for UI efficiency and greater control.

Or to put it simply - PC and KBM = civilized gaming for refined people of taste and class.  Controllers and consoles are filthy monkey barbarians with little minds who like shiny things.
    Red_ThomasTacticalZombeh
    blamo2000 said:
    Hariken said:
    I don't see this - I had no issues with KBM at all.  I would have had no idea it wasn't designed for KBM if the devs didn't tell me (with literal all capital letters).

And I am sensitive to this shit.  I constantly complain about the shit UI for console games that are ported to the PC, like Bethesda's Fall Outs, etc.  As a controller hating, PC control and PC UI promoting civilized person - I just don't see it.  Believe me, if thought the controls sucked even a little for KBM I would not hold back.

lahnmir said:
    Lol at you guys.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I use a KBM for everything.  The only civilized, acceptable non-KBM input device for a civilized PC user is those little mini-partial keyboard things.  I forget the name but I have one - joypad is it?

The bottom line is games designed for consoles and controllers have shit controls and shit UIs.  They have pre-wheel technologies for inventory management like lists instead of a real inventory with icons and right click to equip or drag and drop.  They have retarded controls like where you usually have to go through 79 menus just to change your pants.  Its complete shit and inefficient and makes games far worse.

It also drastically bleeds into game design.  For controller designed games you assume a console audience.  Console audiences like simple games, clear choices, heavily dictated stories, pre-generated and defined characters, and very simple and lite systems.  I want the exact opposite of that - I want extremely complex systems, to create my own character, to create my own story and not have a predefined one dictated to me, tons of complex, ambiguous choices, etc.  

It bleeds into other aspects big and small - controller - sitting on a couch away from your TV (less text, more VO, keep it simple and easy to understand, try and avoid menus since going through menus is a huge pain, the game will be simple and they don't want the player to have to do any thinking or heavy lifting).  KBM- sitting up in a chair at a desk with the monitor right in front of you - more reading, more complexity, no big deal to tab out and look information up on systems, slower gameplay, more focused on player agency, choices, and creating.  More involved.  Far superior input devices allow for much better, more civilized and modern UIs and functionalities.  More options for UI efficiency and greater control.

Or to put it simply - PC and KBM = civilized gaming for refined people of taste and class.  Controllers and consoles are filthy monkey barbarians with little minds who like shiny things.
    I think you are funny  <3

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    TacticalZombehblamo2000

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    blamo2000 said:
    I don't see this - I had no issues with KBM at all.
    ...ever tried the game with no flight and aim assist?
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

Hariken said:

I felt the same way. I went against my better judgement and bought this through EGS because I was REALLY looking forward to it and the dev seems to have a cool attitude about the whole Epic vs Steam thing. I still disagree with his position but he was upfront and honest about it from the start and didn't go full Ooblets dev mode and make the announcement like a passive aggressive asshole. Anyway, I played for a bit and found the M&K controls to be hot garbage. I don't have a controller for PC and refuse to buy one to use for a single game.

Trying to get a refund through EGS has been a huge pain in the ass. I'm having to jump through so many hoops just to get my money back. I've been back and forth with "customer support" all day with 4 or 5 emails and I STILL haven't gotten my refund. It takes all of 30 seconds through the Steam app to submit a refund request and then a few hours later I'm good to go.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

edited August 2019
    Gdemami said:
    blamo2000 said:
    I don't see this - I had no issues with KBM at all.
    ...ever tried the game with no flight and aim assist?
    Aren't those things for controller users since their barbaric input device sucks so bad you can't play any games without the game cheating and helping you aim?  

Red_Thomas
    Made the dive and bought this. No issues playing M/K, flight stick or controller. It's not super deep, just a fun shoot em up with good music like the first one and pretty much what I expected. Not sure what all the hubbub was about.

As far as the epic store exclusive thing, you never hear people who collect those silly POPs complain about having to go to Hot-Topic or Target for that one-off elusive store POP even though they would never shop there for anything else. I stopped caring and others should too.
    SWG Bloodfin vet