Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Classic and New WoW Clone Era

NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
IF the population still has big numbers by the end of the year, will we see another Era of WoW Clones?

I feel like we are just now recovering from the last WoW Clone Era. Now this.
To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

Comments

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    edited August 2019
    yeah we are going to get SWTOR vanilla, Warhammer will come back with vanilla, and so on.....

i even heard star citizen is ready to jump on the vanilla band wagon. they are about to launch another kick starter and sell some pictures of ships.
    NorseGodAethaerynSensai[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyGeeky[Deleted User]hfztt[Deleted User]BitterClingerand 5 others.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Isn't WoW essentially coping the 'classic' trend at this point....? Game companies have been doing this/supporting this for years (starting with project 99 if I'm not mistaken).
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    DrunkWolf said:
    yeah we are going to get SWTOR vanilla, Warhammer will come back with vanilla, and so on.....

i even heard star citizen is ready to jump on the vanilla band wagon. they are about to launch another kick starter and sell some pictures of ships.
    I couldn't just leave this at an LOL. . Vanilla Star Citizen :)   Man. . . too good  :D
    [Deleted User]GeekyBitterClingermrputtsPhrySteelhelm

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Well, I didn't assume reboots of old games. I mean a new flood of half-assed, Fisher Price type MMORPGs.
    Steelhelm
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Albatroes said:
    Isn't WoW essentially coping the 'classic' trend at this point....? Game companies have been doing this/supporting this for years (starting with project 99 if I'm not mistaken).
    Project99 started in 2009, the first official Everquest progression server was 2006. So SOE(at the time) started this trend.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    NorseGod said:
    Well, I didn't assume reboots of old games. I mean a new flood of half-assed, Fisher Price type MMORPGs.
    I wonder if that would be an improvement over our current selection :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    I hope so. Maybe this time around they'll realize WHY WoW was great and be inspired by it's spirit, understanding that things like a 1-1 copy of the talent tree GUI isn't it.
  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    DMKano said:
    What will happen is a huge exodus from WoW classic after the initial surge when people realize two things

1. They have played this before
    2. They dont have as much time as they did in 2004
    3. The classic gameplay style is something that is much better in memory than reality

What about the hundreds of thousands of people who played private servers for a decade or so? Don't say "because it's free".

Now it goes without saying that there will be some small % of players that will love it and play it for a long time - however MMOs are made for masses not the exceptions

So all MMO's should be made to cater to the masses. No niche market MMO's are necessary? That's literally how proper MMO's died in favor of capitalist greed.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I know there's the nay-sayers but so far I'm loving it.

I had left WoW as I didn't care for the changes they had been making to the game.
    It was being made more and more simpler and now retail doesn't feel like an rpg much at all.

Playing on private servers was what I had to do. I think it's great to be able to come back to an official server and play the game I originally loved. Not the current retail almost a moba.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I plan to stay with for some time now.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I have nothing against WoW clones, i love playing great games.

Only the game that has been cloned over and over again wasn't the version that was worth to clone.

Lets hope they'll get it right this time. :wink:
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    edited August 2019
    After year of looking for the MMORPG holy grail, like lot of us - and constant arguing about what games are good , bad, resurected, copies ... etc. And especially arguing about if the MMOs are dying or not. I figured one simple thing:

When most of the people thing of MMORPG they think about one very specific type of game. Like if for example when talking about "strategy" game, people would just think Starcraft RTS type.

So when people say MMORPG they are actually thinking one very specific type of game : for lack of better term I would call it EQWOW.

Well ,you see Vanilla WOW was in fact the best iteration of this type of game. And no matter how many times companies tried to copy or even improve on it, it was never surpassed.

So when you will play it, you will see its true. And it actually gives the best EQWOW experience.

However as genre EQWOW is outdated. And it simply can not return. Just as RTS simply can not return...or similar outdated systems. They had their time in limelight, and now its time to move on... ( or as soon it becomes outdated in asia as well )

As for MMORPG which is in fact EQWOW ,its time to put a fork in it.

I just hope some game company realises EQWOW( also known as MMORPG ) is not the only way you can make shared persistant online world games...
    Steelhelm

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    DMKano said:

Longterm though- like 3, 6 and 12 months post launch - I think there will be a massive player drop as the 2nd honeymoon phase plummets and the realization of how short lived the fun is 2nd time around

I fully agree with your assesment. Now if we could just get pre-NGE SWG server to take down the nostagia a notch on that game as well...
    [Deleted User]Steelhelm
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Utinni said:
    Albatroes said:
    Project99 started in 2009, the first official Everquest progression server was 2006. So SOE(at the time) started this trend.
    and today EQ1 must have about 10 different progression servers going. I am shocked they have the playerbase to keep that many alive.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It would be impossible to make a new, never before seen, classic game. 

But you would definitely see some old games putting out their own classic versions.

Classic SWG - I'm looking at you to step up. 
    NorseGod

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    DMKano said:

That is what would need to happen with classic- a growth over the years to signal the industry the return of classic MMORPGs - chance of this happening IMO is zero.

Runescape Old School would like to have a word with you, Kano! :)

Sovrath

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    NorseGod said:
    IF the population still has big numbers by the end of the year, will we see another Era of WoW Clones?

I feel like we are just now recovering from the last WoW Clone Era. Now this.
    there is no such thing as a WoW clone. All MMOs follow the same few models. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    The reason p99, TLP and private "Vanilla" WoW servers (as well as other private emulators) are so popular are because those versions of the games were the best.  Today's MMOs are terrible.  I would love new MMOs to be designed around old mechanics of hard game play, unique classes and races, niche builds, group content, no instant travel for everyone all over the world, no P2W or F2P, etc.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Too bad they don't have a MMORPGMaker kit like RPGMaker or do they? Or is something like Unity already the MMORPG making kit?

There have been some real gems coming out of RPGMakers, so was just wondering...

Throw MMO in front of it, and it's like the Dream Crusher of gaming or something.

Gut Out!
    MMOExposediixviiiix

What, me worry?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Only time will tell the tale

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited August 2019
    timtrack said:
    DMKano said:
    What will happen is a huge exodus from WoW classic after the initial surge when people realize two things

1. They have played this before
    2. They dont have as much time as they did in 2004
    3. The classic gameplay style is something that is much better in memory than reality

What about the hundreds of thousands of people who played private servers for a decade or so? Don't say "because it's free".

Now it goes without saying that there will be some small % of players that will love it and play it for a long time - however MMOs are made for masses not the exceptions

So all MMO's should be made to cater to the masses. No niche market MMO's are necessary? That's literally how proper MMO's died in favor of capitalist greed.

The probelm with private servers is they're mostly emulators. And they're OLD. I played on Project 1999 for a while and loved it, but eventually i realized I can't play in the same game for 13+ years. I left and joined Wurm Online in 2012. More than anything, it's not cost, it's how modern and NEW something is. Project 1999 with modern graphics and NEW content (not just recycled spells and zones), with some additional things like more emergent NPC interactions and more and different adventures in dungeons, would be more than worth paying for. That's why many of us are waiting for Pantheon with baited breath. We're hesitant and doubtful, but we're ready to put some money into it. Personally, I think it'll be a lot more casual (and thus mainstream) than expected. But I think going into it without low expectations is better than going into it with unrealistic hopes, and then feeling betrayed.

I do think DMKano is partially wrong. It's true a lot of players are like that and will leave after trying something like Pantheon or Saga of Lucimia, BUT NOT EVERYONE. Wurm Online and me are a perfect example. Proof positive. When I started in 2012, many of its features were old school. It was like a blend of old EQ and old UO. I played on the PvP server. It had auto attack, no in-game map, no in-game radar, it literally throws you into the world after doing a basic tutorial--just like the old school MMORPGs. It even had corpse runs! I paid for it. I've dumped real--not fake money--into it. I had a blast. There were many moments in Wurm Online when I felt like I could never go back to EQ or UO or anything old. It was a true replacement, even if its PvE sucked. I didn't imagine any of this. it's not rose tinted glasses. I. actually. had. fun.
  • Shooter564567Shooter564567 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    edited August 2019
    It will fail miserably..  

Games got shit graphics..  even the updated version of WoW has shit graphics..
    cant play game with shit graphics.
    Steelhelm
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited August 2019
    I hope not, too many WoW clones failed, Remember Wildstar? 100 million budget game that went down the toilet.

Copying WoW expecting wow fans to play it and stay is a waste of money, the same way trying to put a Moba on the market expecting LoL players to migrate to it is also a waste of money.

Dozens of Mobas failed trying to get a slice of LoL pie, at least the atempts are over, nobody is trying to make mobas anymore.

I hope the same happens to WoW cloning.
    NorseGod