Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World of Warcraft Classic Video Sits Down With Original Creators - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• dekkion1dekkion1 Member UncommonPosts: 152

Xasapis said:

It is kind of hilarious to see the most casual mmorpg in the market at the time, hailed as some sort of hardcore tough experience today.

Other than that, a decent video with the handpicked old developers that share the political affiliations of today's Blizzard.

lol it will be hard for most lol......u godda remeber wow over the years have babied everyone making the game alot easier to move around and navigate thru........with classic lol none of that now..
    you have to grind your way back to the top nobodys gonna hold your hand this time.
    Phry
    gammer 4 life
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Ohsy said:
    Xasapis said:
    It is kind of hilarious to see the most casual mmorpg in the market at the time, hailed as some sort of hardcore tough experience today.

Other than that, a decent video with the handpicked old developers that share the political affiliations of today's Blizzard.

Your claiming that WoW Classic which ran from 2004-2007 was the most casual mmorpg for that time? Id say that's a claims out of pure delusion, naivety or lack of knowledge. Classic comes in many forms and the user determines how they consume the content, some of which was very 'casual' while others where quite 'hardcore'. I would simply define 'casual' and 'hardcore' as 'easy' and 'difficult'. What made many aspects of classic difficult was the social coordination and sheer amount of time it took to achieve certain aspects/goals. IE end game raiding for world/server first kills, speed runs and of course the rank 14 grind. Even the most basic forms of Classic are far less forgiving than current retail. There were also a lot of opportunities for the oblivious to make poor decisions in classic (ie talents, gear, rotations, etc) where current retail really makes everything foolproof. Good times :)
    Yea, I moved from L2 to WoW raiding, in essense down from 12 hours per day to 4 hours per day to maintain the same status of top players in the server. But sure, delusion, naivety or lack of knowledge. One lived through it, the other heard about it. Good times.
    [Deleted User]
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Ohsy said:
    Xasapis said:

Your claiming that WoW Classic which ran from 2004-2007 was the most casual mmorpg for that time? Id say that's a claims out of pure delusion, naivety or lack of knowledge. Classic comes in many forms and the user determines how they consume the content, some of which was very 'casual' while others where quite 'hardcore'. I would simply define 'casual' and 'hardcore' as 'easy' and 'difficult'. What made many aspects of classic difficult was the social coordination and sheer amount of time it took to achieve certain aspects/goals. IE end game raiding for world/server first kills, speed runs and of course the rank 14 grind. Even the most basic forms of Classic are far less forgiving than current retail. There were also a lot of opportunities for the oblivious to make poor decisions in classic (ie talents, gear, rotations, etc) where current retail really makes everything foolproof. Good times :)
    Compared to other MMOs of that time WoW was the casual "kids" mmo. You lost nothing on death, barely any grind to get max level, no post-cap advancement, tradeskills had a simple no-fail UI with no subcombines, and raids took a few hours not days. 
  • OhsyOhsy Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Xasapis said:
    Ohsy said:
    Xasapis said:

Yea, I moved from L2 to WoW raiding, in essense down from 12 hours per day to 4 hours per day to maintain the same status of top players in the server. But sure, delusion, naivety or lack of knowledge. One lived through it, the other heard about it. Good times.

I hear you, I too played Lineage for close to 2 years beginning with the end of L1 and also came back to L2 Classic last fall and just recently let that go, went downhill fast.. There is no comparing the eastern grind of lvling in L2 classic to that of WoW but then again they were completely different games. Classic WoW content explodes at level cap where the leveling in L2 was essentially the end game, as there really was no reaching lvl cap.
    edited August 2019
    Utinni said:
    Ohsy said:
    Xasapis said:

Compared to other MMOs of that time WoW was the casual "kids" mmo. You lost nothing on death, barely any grind to get max level, no post-cap advancement, tradeskills had a simple no-fail UI with no subcombines, and raids took a few hours not days.
    Again, it all depends on how you consume the content. Your focusing on the simple aspects of the game and raiding, depending on how you consume that content, can take more than a few hours a week for the average guild of that time who were constantly stuck with progression bashing their heads on the same boss for hours on end multiple days a week for weeks on end. For the high end guild, they too would average more than a couple hours a week when considering all the min/maxing involved to farming the perfect consumables and gear for each specific encounter and the careful planning and time taken to collect world buffs prior to each raid, etc. I agree there were other mmorpgs of that time which were collectively, as a whole, more 'hardcore' than the full Classic WoW package but calling it the most casual mmorpg of that era is probably a bit of an overstatement.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Ohsy said:
     but calling it the most casual mmorpg of that era is probably a bit of an overstatement.
    It's not. That's exactly what I'm saying.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Utinni said:
    Ohsy said:
     but calling it the most casual mmorpg of that era is probably a bit of an overstatement.
    Well, at least its one of those questions that is easily answered, in a couple of weeks WoW Classic will have finally launched and people will be able to see for themselves. ;)
    edited August 2019
    Utinni said:
    Ohsy said:

Glad we are in agreement then :)

- FYI - list of mmorpg's where you can sort by release date too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games

https://www.mmorpg.com/games-list/show/released/sCol/estimatedRelease/sOrder/asc