Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Opens Even More WoW: Classic Servers After Warning Of Overcrowding - MMORPG.com

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Phry said:

Scot said:

Let's be honest though. They will be merging servers or have dead servers in 2 months.

Almost everyone I know who is hyped about classic has never played classic.

Apart from all the posters on here who have played it and want to play it again you mean? :)

Yeah. I don't get the random comments on people who probably haven't played the game(since they are 15 now) and say that everyone they know(guess their age) haven't played classic either...

It's a fact that private servers have existed for years. It's a fact that private servers have been doing well and that's considering that 1. they are garbage for the most part(filled with bugs/exploiters etc...) and 2. most people don't want to play on private servers. From the original 37 hardcore WoW friends I have only 2 play BfA and in the most casual way, but everyone has said that they are going to be playing classic. And yeah most of them might be casuals since their lifes won't allow to be more serious about the game, BUT they are going to play for as long as the servers exist.
    So classic will do just fine... People saying that it will die out in 2 months when the vast majority of players that have limited time to play will probably take more than a month to hit 60 alone is just laughable.
    Once PvP goes live it will get even more lively since that's one of the things people want to play the most. The good ol' PvP. Not balanced in anyway, BUT FUN!
    It will likely be successful, as long as Blizzard don't screw it up, and by that i mean think for one second that disimproving Classic will somehow drive players back to BfA, it won't. BfA is a failed game and that is the one thing that a successful Classic will prove, that they have had to increase server numbers just drives this point home even more. ;)
    Oh I could see a scenario in which people join then people leave .... providing feedback. And if revenues start to fall Blizzard says - something like - we have listened to your feedback and here is our path to take the game "foward" to WotLK. Or some such.

And that will depend on revenue from vanilla certainly. Probably what happens with current and what they believe they can achieve with a new expansion for current - will they feel it is worth it? Feedback from its partners that operate the game in other regions. Maybe even - "widespread" -feedback. Or maybe they will freeze it as is and launch a WotLK version in a year - or whatever.

Remember that a few thousands people playing on a private server of some sort can be classed as successful. A few thousand people playing vanilla at launch would be a dismal failure. The bar is different. How high AB's bar is - shrug. It will certainly be a factor though.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    If it turned out to be a wild, huge money-making success, which I don't see happening, they could even release a different new expansion for classic if they wanted. They could just say that by going back in time with that gnomes device the timeline has splintered and a new timeline has been formed. Just like in the new Star Trek movies.
  • stebo104stebo104 Member UncommonPosts: 31

Scellow said:

Let's be honest though. They will be merging servers or have dead servers in 2 months.

this, they should just increase server capacity, and since it is 2019, it should be automated if they use something like AWS, and since everyone pays a sub, they have 0 excuses for not paying for better servers

Ya know Activision-Blizzard is all about the greed. They'll do things as cheaply as possible to make more money for themselfs.
    Gdemami
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    yeah thats why WOW today is poor and each expansion is duller than the previous one.

Redo models and stuff, slap em together and release as a new expansion, all they done is put a new territory in using whats already there.

WoW classic will not have the graphics like current WoW has but it WILL surpass the gameplay that is wow right now.
    Gdemami
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2019
    All these servers and no one is thinking...: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/server-transfer-in-classic/148735/12

I will say that SE has always been more fair when it came down to server transfers since you essentially pay a flat price to transfer a many characters to one server, verse wow where you have to pay that price per character.
  • bng28bng28 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Nostalgia is a drink best served warm and turns to ice quickly.
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    gervaise1 said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Let's be honest though. They will be merging servers or have dead servers in 2 months. Almost everyone I know who is hyped about classic has never played classic.
    Everyone you know is most certainly not the majority of players. I agree, a lot of retail WoW players who never experienced WoW Classic will most likely buckle under the pressure of a non instant gratification game play. A game that actually challenges them before they go raiding. However, this game wasn't brought back for THEM. It's being brought back for the players who DID actually play vanilla WoW. Which are precisely the kind of people who will stick with it a lot longer than a year. Retail WoW is a damn joke.
    No.

Don't kid yourself Activision Blizzard are doing this to make money. Period.

They are not "bothered" whether its played by old, players or even new players; just the bottomline.

You are correct. However "New Players" Are already paying and playing BFA. These Old players let their subscription lapse years ago. Myself included I last payed for WoW in August of 2011. They want to recapture those players, because with the lack of any real MMORPGs out they have become an untapped market again.
    Albatroes

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    you people remind me of liberals, first no one is interested, then when proven wrong you change your tune and you never said no one would be interested, now its not going to last long, you people dont even understand yourselves, you clearly dont know what truly drives human success, this game is already smashing it and it isnt even out yet XD, get real you haters, classic wow started the truly massive attraction to the MMO scene.
    Gdemamimrputtskenguru23[Deleted User]blamo2000

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

Yeah. I don't get the random comments on people who probably haven't played the game(since they are 15 now) and say that everyone they know(guess their age) haven't played classic either...

My mmorpg.com account is older than most of the people excited to play wow, lol. 
     I've been here a while...
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Classic launches: the players flock to Blizzard for their awesome game, filling up all released servers to the brim and forcing them to release more, and then some.

Three months after launch: the population is stabilized. The players who were just curious and didn't know that they were not cut for that type of game have long left. Now, along a few healthy servers, there is a never ending list of "low population" barren servers.

Six months in: the low-pop servers die out with a rattle, nobody cares. The "main" servers are going strong and will continue to do so until AQ40 is on farm and PVP becomes stale.

Eighteen months in: Will they launch new servers where they start from scratch?

I really have no doubt this will be the chain of events. The doubts I have are about how many servers will be healthy 6 months in and how many servers will die out due to low population.

Now, given how much effort it takes to get to 60 and get the gear (forgetting about the whole it's the journey not the destination for a moment), players should be aware that after 6 months, chances are they will have to fork out some more cash for character transfers from the dying server to a healthy one or be willing to leave all their hard-earned possessions behind and start anew on a thriving server.
    Of course Blizzard is not doing it on purpose, this is the drawback of the server "system" which on one hand gives the players a chance to create a small but enjoyable community, but on the other hand makes these communities susceptible to the smallest breezes of change. Blizzard doesn't do it on purpose, no; but they are well aware of it, afterall "paying for convenience" ammounts to around 40% of most games' revenues. WoW, having a subscription, is probably enjoying a smaller contribution from this income section, but it's no doubt a large chunk of dough, otherwise why would they still keep this idiotic system in place even for WoW-live given all the phasing and cross-realm interactions and whatnots if they were not making enough cash from players hopping from one economically stale server to the next.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    edited August 2019
    So many angry kids mad that people like things they don't. How dare people be interested in a game that has a solid and meaty rpg system that focuses on gameplay over graphics? How dare people be interested in a game that is more fun to play than watch videos of other people playing? This must be STOPPED!!! Some of the people I want to play my modern sophomoric hot trash game with could get interested in this, and if it gets popular enough financers and devs may get interested in making real games again and not the modern sophomoric trash for dumb kids I love to watch so much! Help us Jebus! What kind of God would allow this?!
    BruceYeePhry
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited August 2019
    Scot said:

Apart from all the posters on here who have played it and want to play it again you mean? :)
    Over on the Classic reddit they've done a few polls all of which ask for age in addition to many other questions. Ages 18-35 account for 2/3 of the respondents. That's people who were 3-20 yrs. old when it launched.

I don't think saying most have never played classic is a stretch.

Not that it matters to Blizz. It's not a separate sub. The same sub gets you both Classic and regular. At worst from their perspective it's a way to get new blood in their WOW ecosystem.

Hell... I hadn't played WOW since Pandaria and I wasn't going to activate a sub until next week but I got curious about the shape of regular WOW and activated this past Sunday instead and I've been playing it. If I don't like Classic for whatever reason (I already find some of the vanilla zealots who want to ban addons annoying AF) no biggie, I'll just play regular WOW for a while.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 914
    edited August 2019
    You know what sucks !!!  The game time and date they relase the game is midnight for Denmark AKA some people need to sleep and go to work that time...thx alot for that "headstart" blizzard  thx alot mister !!!!....When i come home from work that day then everyone is down in moltencore !! and start area will be desolate..
    [Deleted User]NorseGod

edited August 2019
    mrputts said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Let's be honest though. They will be merging servers or have dead servers in 2 months. Almost everyone I know who is hyped about classic has never played classic.
    Everyone you know is most certainly not the majority of players. I agree, a lot of retail WoW players who never experienced WoW Classic will most likely buckle under the pressure of a non instant gratification game play. A game that actually challenges them before they go raiding. However, this game wasn't brought back for THEM. It's being brought back for the players who DID actually play vanilla WoW. Which are precisely the kind of people who will stick with it a lot longer than a year. Retail WoW is a damn joke.
    No.

They are not "bothered" whether its played by old, players or even new players; just the bottomline.

You are correct. However "New Players" Are already paying and playing BFA. These Old players let their subscription lapse years ago. Myself included I last payed for WoW in August of 2011. They want to recapture those players, because with the lack of any real MMORPGs out they have become an untapped market again.
    Whoops. I lost the "current" players when I edited it!

I certainly don;t disagree that they want to capture "old" players - and new. Current players they would probably prefer to stay on current since that would avoid disruption. Wonl't happen of course.

My point though was simply that it is a mistake to think that this is about "old players". Its about money.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited August 2019
    blamo2000 said:
    So many angry kids mad that people like things they don't. How dare people be interested in a game that has a solid and meaty rpg system that focuses on gameplay over graphics? How dare people be interested in a game that is more fun to play than watch videos of other people playing? This must be STOPPED!!! Some of the people I want to play my modern sophomoric hot trash game with could get interested in this, and if it gets popular enough financers and devs may get interested in making real games again and not the modern sophomoric trash for dumb kids I love to watch so much! Help us Jebus! What kind of God would allow this?!
    What you mentioned about the game getting people interested in making real games again is what I'm hoping happens. Last time everyone doing WoW clones were blinded too much by greed but hopefully this time if history repeats itself they'll learn from the past and not make the same mistakes. If we get a few well funded AA MMO's as a result of classic being successful it will be fantastic. Even better would be a copycat games race even by small developers similar to what happened after Fortnite. There may be a few side effects of classic though like ESO and Albion taking a hit to player numbers.
    ohioastroPhryTacticalZombehblamo2000
  • DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237
    I cant get over how much people think this will die there is no good mmo out there right now and one of the biggest ever is coming back yea its dead in 2 months my ass.
    BruceYeeblamo2000

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    DrDream said:
    I cant get over how much people think this will die there is no good mmo out there right now and one of the biggest ever is coming back yea its dead in 2 months my ass.

it wont be dead, but the population will drop big time after a few months.
    NorseGod
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    I just wonder how many of those illegal servers will shutdown now that there is a classic server?:P

You know the ones that all say it is not about the money, we just want classic. Yah, how many of those playing for free will start paying you think?

Hope bliz sends out letters demanding  all they can find to shut down.  See what excuse they use next.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Rhoklaw said:
    mrputts said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    No.

Aside from the addition of the new PvP server and considering we're still almost a week away from launch. I'll go out on a limb and claim Classic WoW is in no way, shape or form in danger of ghost servers, even 18 to 24 months down the road. If you think about how many veteran players, such as myself who left before Cataclysm launched, a majority of us are returning to play on Classic servers. We are talking millions of players that fit that description.

And something else people have forgotten/or maybe never knew is that original WoW is the game that tore the roof off of the fixed relatively low population numbers that ALL PC games used to have. On the day WoW launched the highest population MMO was SWG at around 250k players and that was considered at the time a success. When WoW broke one million players not only did it cause the NGE but also brought gaming into the mainstream. Love or hate WoW but gaming was no longer taboo because of WoW so it was kind of a phenomenon and really deserves all the credit for what they did.
    [Deleted User]
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    What would they do if Classic pop dwarfs Retail for a good amount of time?

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Gutlard said:

Gut Out!
    I know what other studios are going to do...
    *sigh*
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    BruceYee said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    mrputts said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    No.

Aside from the addition of the new PvP server and considering we're still almost a week away from launch. I'll go out on a limb and claim Classic WoW is in no way, shape or form in danger of ghost servers, even 18 to 24 months down the road. If you think about how many veteran players, such as myself who left before Cataclysm launched, a majority of us are returning to play on Classic servers. We are talking millions of players that fit that description.

And something else people have forgotten/or maybe never knew is that original WoW is the game that tore the roof off of the fixed relatively low population numbers that ALL PC games used to have. On the day WoW launched the highest population MMO was SWG at around 250k players and that was considered at the time a success. When WoW broke one million players not only did it cause the NGE but also brought gaming into the mainstream. Love or hate WoW but gaming was no longer taboo because of WoW so it was kind of a phenomenon and really deserves all the credit for what they did.
    Errrr - not really. Tricky.

Simple corrections first. EQ1 had had the biggest mmo population prior to WoW. Peak was put at 650k. Doesn't change the fact that WoW was a very big mmo.

"Tore the roof off PC games."

Not really. The Sims was launched years earlier and sold well over 10M copies. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas sold tens of millions very quickly. Now this one is tricky since it was multi-platform but even today e.g c. 30% of ESO players are on PC. Probably a higher percentage of PC players back then when consoles were pretty new so - over 10M. There were other titles as well. 

As far as making gaming "mainstream" - that expands things beyond PC only and brings in mega-tens of million selling titles, some going back to the 80s, such Pokemon, Mario, Sonic etc. Heck even the Wii Play sold 40M+.  

What Blizzard did do - very successfully - was to develop and build the brand. And kept selling.  

Which is why a few years ago they were able to say that the game had 100M accounts. The implication is that they were "losing" on average 10M subs per year. To lose them though you first have to have them! 

The fact that other games are bigger doesn't diminish this huge success.

Thourne
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Riqqy82 said:
    you people remind me of liberals, first no one is interested, then when proven wrong you change your tune and you never said no one would be interested, now its not going to last long, you people dont even understand yourselves, you clearly dont know what truly drives human success, this game is already smashing it and it isnt even out yet XD, get real you haters, classic wow started the truly massive attraction to the MMO scene.
    Hows your sisterwife doing 
    NorseGod
    Rhoklaw said:
    Gutlard said:

Gut Out!
    *IF* such a thing happened, which I highly doubt as Retail WoW is still very popular, I think Blizzard *MAY* consider Classic WoW as a possible do-over. Most of the veteran players stuck around through Wrath of the Lich King. We also know Blizzard has mentioned TBC and WotLK more than once in regards to Classic servers. If these servers maintain a healthy population or perhaps as you said, blow up the game's appeal once more, Blizzard *SHOULD* remake post WotLK content which maintains the mechanics and features of WoW Classic we enjoy.

None of this would be easy and would entirely depend on us, the Classic WoW fans keeping that idea open and on the developers mind, even if unfeasible.
    I think they will be operating on a suck it and see basis.

With options going forward e.g. progress vanilla towards WotLK; or maybe keep a vanilla server locked but open a new BC server downstream etc. And probably keep a version of current. Have to see. I am sure it will all be based on revenue "feedback".
    Phry
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    gervaise1 said:
    BruceYee said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    mrputts said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    No.

Errrr - not really. Tricky.

Simple corrections first. EQ1 had had the biggest mmo population prior to WoW. Peak was put at 650k. Doesn't change the fact that WoW was a very big mmo.

"Tore the roof off PC games."

Not really. The Sims was launched years earlier and sold well over 10M copies. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas sold tens of millions very quickly. Now this one is tricky since it was multi-platform but even today e.g c. 30% of ESO players are on PC. Probably a higher percentage of PC players back then when consoles were pretty new so - over 10M. There were other titles as well. 

As far as making gaming "mainstream" - that expands things beyond PC only and brings in mega-tens of million selling titles, some going back to the 80s, such Pokemon, Mario, Sonic etc. Heck even the Wii Play sold 40M+.  

What Blizzard did do - very successfully - was to develop and build the brand. And kept selling.  

Which is why a few years ago they were able to say that the game had 100M accounts. The implication is that they were "losing" on average 10M subs per year. To lose them though you first have to have them! 

The fact that other games are bigger doesn't diminish this huge success.

I agree with your point but Im fairly certain Lineage the Blood Pledge was near or in excess of 2 million subs by the time WoW arrived. Making it the highest population MMORPG at the time.