Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World of Warcraft Classic Video Sits Down With Original Creators - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew World of Warcraft Classic Video Sits Down With Original Creators - MMORPG.com

Blizzard has posted a video to their YouTube channel showcasing some of the original creators of their magnum opus, World of Warcraft.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    These are some of the guys who jumped ship when Blizzard went downhill then?
    Mensur
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2019
    "New World of Warcraft Classic" sounds like an oxymoron. That aside, it will be nice to see the old talent tree again at least. Ion seriously thinking 20 levels of nothing post-100 was a good idea...../smh DONT WORRY THOUGH! THE LEVEL SQUISH CAN SAVE AZEROTH! RIGHT ION?!?!?! image
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 555
    Albatroes said:
    "New World of Warcraft Classic" sounds like an oxymoron. That aside, it will be nice to see the old talent tree again at least. Ion seriously thinking 20 levels of nothing post-100 was a good idea...../smh
    It does, doesn't it? :wink:
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Scot said:

All of the people in the video currently work at blizzard.
    Scot
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250

Scot said:

Moving on to another projects within the company is jumping ship now?
    Vexiusx
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Scot said:

Think hes talking about the founders who worked there for 28 years and made $2b leaving the company. Retiring a billionaire is jumping ship apparently.
    Vexiusx
  • TehaniTehani Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited August 2019
    I am so looking forward to the game I played back in 2005.

I am older, I am not the 'noob' I was in 2005, but I am so excited to experience again what 'home' feels like.

122 hours to go
    lotrloreBruceYeeCelciusDarkpigeonDrDream
  • LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    I'm so excited that I can't stop thinking about it and I don't want enjoy any other hobby. Hurry up and launch!!!
    DrDream
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Monday can't come soon enough
    LtldoggDrDream
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    With all this excitement, I feel like someone is going to bust out and sing the theme song from Neverending Story. 
    Celcius[Deleted User]Iselingunklacker

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited August 2019
    Amazeballs, I can't wait another 6 days.  EDIT: 5 days.
    Ltldogg
  • nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    It's weird how they're acting like it's new and not 15 years old now... People are weird.
    [Deleted User]
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    nomadie said:
    It's weird how they're acting like it's new and not 15 years old now... People are weird.
    The complaints are going to be biblical.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    This seems a little unreal sometimes, ever since WotLK it bothered me I never sat foot in the old 40 man naxx. I started looking around in 2010 for classic servers just to find one that had 150 people at the time then became what started the movement of 1x progressive realms. It was so busted hardly any pathing, mobs barely did anything, bosses were half working, but it was fun. Fast forward and many attempts at finding a server where downing naxx was achievable, here comes blizz with the real deal.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    On one hand I really want to dig into this. An the other hand I remember playing it 2½ weeks shortly after launch, to just quit in frustration over various stupid mechanics and going back to EVE.

Cant help wondering if history will repeat itself. Well, except the going back to EVE part... Hopefully -Recovering addict.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited August 2019
    It is kind of hilarious to see the most casual mmorpg in the market at the time, hailed as some sort of hardcore tough experience today.

Other than that, a decent video with the handpicked old developers that share the political affiliations of today's Blizzard.
    Albatroes[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Utinni said:

Scot said:

Think hes talking about the founders who worked there for 28 years and made $2b leaving the company. Retiring a billionaire is jumping ship apparently.
    It seems these guys have not left, but the founders who did, come on those guys had enough with the direction of the game. How many left within the space of a year; 3, 4? As you said they where very wealthy, but had been for years and felt no need to go, then they jump ship and none of them were that old.
  • DarthDowtyDarthDowty Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Love this video.
    DrDream
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    not sure i want to tarnish my great memories with the thought of activision in the background waiting to strike our wallets and our intelligence.
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    They were right about the world and how important it was. Over the years most games forgot this and then just opted for fast travel.
    Scotkabitoshin
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,511
    We are going home! <3
    DrDream

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I'm so stoked for this launch.

Love the idea of being able to play the game I loved, in the way I loved it while not having to be on a private server.

Retail now is too easy. You have to work to die. It's almost fisher price my first mmorpg.
    DrDream
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Mensur said:
    We are going home! <3
    Well its not home for me, but i think ill give a go just to join and ride the wave of excitement of launch day.. Hell Launch day is always the best day of any mmo, long q,s hooking up with your first group....
    [Deleted User]
  • OhsyOhsy Member UncommonPosts: 37
    edited August 2019
    Mensur said:
    We are going home! <3
    Well its not home for me, but i think ill give a go just to join and ride the wave of excitement of launch day.. Hell Launch day is always the best day of any mmo, long q,s hooking up with your first group....

Launch day/week will be crazy indeed. Unless your rolling on bloodsail, be prepared to wait in a long line to get in, I'm rolling Herod so i really don't expect to get anything done that first week :)
  • OhsyOhsy Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Xasapis said:
    It is kind of hilarious to see the most casual mmorpg in the market at the time, hailed as some sort of hardcore tough experience today.

Other than that, a decent video with the handpicked old developers that share the political affiliations of today's Blizzard.

Your claiming that WoW Classic which ran from 2004-2007 was the most casual mmorpg for that time? Id say that's a claims out of pure delusion, naivety or lack of knowledge. Classic comes in many forms and the user determines how they consume the content, some of which was very 'casual' while others where quite 'hardcore'. I would simply define 'casual' and 'hardcore' as 'easy' and 'difficult'. What made many aspects of classic difficult was the social coordination and sheer amount of time it took to achieve certain aspects/goals. IE end game raiding for world/server first kills, speed runs and of course the rank 14 grind. Even the most basic forms of Classic are far less forgiving than current retail. There were also a lot of opportunities for the oblivious to make poor decisions in classic (ie talents, gear, rotations, etc) where current retail really makes everything foolproof. Good times :)