Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN and World of Warcraft

ZangetxuZangetxu Member CommonPosts: 18
Will using a #VPN end up user account ban? I use vpn inorder to improve my gaming experience, i get low ms but i've been doing some research, i wanted to ask you guys about it.

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Using a VPN basically changes your IP address, so yes they could ban your account if they find out that other people from the same IP address have been commiting illegal activity, of course you could always contact blizzard via a ticket and ask them the policy let them know you are using a VPN server because it improves your ping/network and ask them the question.

They could always just block that specific IP if they wanted to as well, and it could also get you into trouble on Guild Team Speak/Ventrilo servers for example if trolls use that same IP address and they think it is you even when you tell them you used a VPN and they are not smart at all and don't listen.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    they won't ban you.  but they might lock your account cause they think someone hacked it.  I went on vacation once and they locked my account cause I logged in on my brothers out of state computer.
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Locked account is pretty easy to get fixed, but it might be a nuissance if your IP keeps changing and they keep locking it.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• ZangetxuZangetxu Member CommonPosts: 18

Thank you guys for your quick response. And somehow it make sense why they do it. What if we write a ticket or something, or what if i just get a dedicated ip from my vpn ( yes my vpn provides a dedicated ip aswell ) i guess, this will solve my issue. 

Originally posted by Robokapp

they can ban for whatever reason they please.

if you buy a gray rock for 100,000g or sell 15 Deathchargers...they'll probably ban you. If you don't do anything eyebrow-raising they probably won't care.

ok, looks like they managed to hurt your feelings :P

I did some research and found out that its a random chance, 

a friend who was using static ip. he didnt get ban (so far) 

the one who was continuously changing his location got banned, but a ticket saved his account as he mentioned the reason.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151

I use a VPN for most things.

I went several months without a ban, then they banned my account one day at random, I guess they felt like being cockholes. It's pretty hit or miss, they will unlock it though.

inshort if you aint doing anything fishy, you are safe.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Zangetxu
    inshort if you aint doing anything fishy, you are safe.

Unfortunately, most people using a VPN are doing something 'fishy' image

Scot
  • theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by Zangetxu
    Will using a #VPN end up user account ban? I use vpn inorder to improve my gaming experience, i get low ms but i've been doing some research, i wanted to ask you guys about it.

First I would ask if Blizzard supports VPN access to its online services. If they do not then what's the point? Connecting from your computer at home to your company's network to play WoW?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    muffins89 said:
    they won't ban you.  but they might lock your account cause they think someone hacked it.  I went on vacation once and they locked my account cause I logged in on my brothers out of state computer.
    "out of state computer", is that a federal offence or something? I just had a picture in my head of the FBI coming to take it away. ;)
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Surprising how much the internet can change in 3 years. These days most Security Suites will provide a vpn as part of the service, with freedom of speech under attack, its practically a necessity have one. :/
    kenguru23Gdemami
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    I personally only VPN on Sundays. 

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    I went back to D2 and got banned for using a VPN. not sure if that's the same thing but just thought I would throw that out there.
  • AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Is Nord better than Aldmeri VPN?
    rojoArcueid
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    >Not using VPN when on the internet

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    muffins89 said:
    that happened to me back in 2011 while traveling to my native country for the summer and when i logged in to play i got locked for logging in from a non-local IP address or something like that. I didn't use a VPN but i emailed them and told them i'm trying to play while overseas and they unlocked it.

• jerrywowjerrywow Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Just need a stable VPN, actually we can make it easily, there are many turorials online
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2020
    If they cared at all about vpn's they could still block you and easily.So it tells me they don't care,maybe too much effort for them to care idk the reason.
    BTW i have tested on a few occasions using a VPN for  site's that do care and my VPN's did not work,not even my paid service.

Java...Flash,Device ID,you can be traced.So imo people that WANT to use a VPN are up to no good.This SHOULD also be an easy way for a game studio to trace WHO is up to no good or at least give them a starting point to spoof around.

Gdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jerrywowjerrywow Member UncommonPosts: 27
    nathandev said:
    jerrywow said:
    Just need a stable VPN, actually we can make it easily, there are many turorials online
    You shouldn't have to make one from there. I think there are many points to consider when you’re choosing a VPN, In this case, I'd say reading this guide https://techloris.com/best-vpn/ would help. Although, VPN is essential for gamers and for those who like to trolling online. 
    ok,thanks buddy
This discussion has been closed.