Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oninaki Review - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageOninaki Review - MMORPG.com

The world of Oninaki is beautiful and captivating, but it’s also a good bit disturbing in many aspects. From its very first moments I was instantly drawn in as I wanted to understand exactly how this world works and why exactly it is this way.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited August 2019
    "Oninaki leads off with the main character, Kagachi, as a child whose parents have just died."

Poor parents. They are the red shirts of RPGs.
    WarlyxArleeDavodtheTutt

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Amathe said:

"Oninaki leads off with the main character, Kagachi, as a child whose parents have just died."

hahah truth be told yeah , rpgs have 80% orphans , or memory lost and dont know where i came from....
    Amathe
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Warlyx said:

Amathe said:

hahah truth be told yeah , rpgs have 80% orphans , or memory lost and dont know where i came from....
    And there are pragmatic reasons for that. 

Parents = rules, to be simple. Most JRPG protagonists would not be permitted to go on the adventures they do by their parents, and when they are given permission (ie: Pokemon), it comes off as laughably bad parenting.

Amnesia is a powerful plot device. It's become a cliche because it's useful. It allows the protagonist to learn basic information and worldbuilding at the same rate as the player. When the protagonist asks questions that any reasonable person in their universe should know, that creates narrative dissonance and makes the protagonist look like an ignorant toolbag. 
    esc-joconnorinfomatz
  • Maxstone1Maxstone1 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited August 2019
    Well as a change of subject, I was pretty on the fence about this game until I played the demo...then I pre-ordered with some rebates and credits...not regretting it for once because usually I like most of the 7-8 rated games more than the higher rated tentpole things. Considering their last two games had mixed reception this is pretty good praise
    [Deleted User]infomatz
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If I wrote for an mmo, I would start the character out having only amnesia of the night before, due to excessive drinking. They would then start having to piece things together. An RPG version of an empty tequila bottle. A fresh tattoo on their bum. A rather substantial female NPC snoring loudly in an unfamiliar dwelling. We've all been there. Except there also would be some clues about a secret meeting about some type of plot ....

You don't have to kill off an entire family or cause someone permanent brain damage.
    [Deleted User]DavodtheTutt

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    If I wrote for an mmo, I would start the character out having only amnesia of the night before, due to excessive drinking. They would then start having to piece things together. An RPG version of an empty tequila bottle. A fresh tattoo on their bum. A rather substantial female NPC snoring loudly in an unfamiliar dwelling. We've all been there. Except there also would be some clues about a secret meeting about some type of plot ....

You don't have to kill off an entire family or cause someone permanent brain damage.
    I mean, your example works for a small scale story - something which takes place in a single night.
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 555
    Amathe said:

This feels like the beginning of a GTA Online Heist...
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    I would just have the main character transported into a new universe which they know nothing about. Obviously the story line begins with them trying to find a way back home, but could lead anywhere without a problem. No amnesia, no killing of family, and you learn about the new world together with the character.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

rensta said:

I would just have the main character transported into a new universe which they know nothing about. Obviously the story line begins with them trying to find a way back home, but could lead anywhere without a problem. No amnesia, no killing of family, and you learn about the new world together with the character.

Well this going to be bothering for a bit but I swear I played a game that did exactly that but I can’t think of it...
    Fire Emblem Echoes is a good subversion of the guardian figure in RPGs.

Mycen, the adoptive "grandfather" of Alm not only trains him, but actually orchestrated his entire journey in secret with Alm's birth father for the greater good. 

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    My favourite RPG of all time, Skies of Arcadia Legends, doesn’t have any of that. Its one huge adventure soaring through Sega blue skies while high fiving. It makes you smile constantly and still manages to deal with an evil empire and a team member dying amongst other things. And its ship battles, what a thing of beauty...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    lotrlore said:
    Amathe said:

This feels like the beginning of a GTA Online Heist...
    In the Marines, we called this Monday morning.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/