Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Eorzea Prospect - The Eorzea Prospect: Housing Woes - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Eorzea Prospect - The Eorzea Prospect: Housing Woes - MMORPG.com

As with all my articles, everything I say reflects my own experiences on my server, your mileage may vary and I’m sure there will be people in the comments vehemently denying what I say. That said, can we talk about Housing for a moment?

Read the full story here

Comments

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080
    yeah I don't understand why they do it the way they do, either. It annoys me and they are arbitrarily preventing the vast majority of their player-base from being able to partake in this content.
    onelesslightBuschkatzeTiller
  • AenghasAenghas Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I figure it is partially a tool to keep people subbed. People might stay subbed in the hopes a house comes up, or they stay subbed to retain a house even when they aren't actively playing because they know the chances are very low they will get a replacement. If your house gets auto-demolished you only have a month to log in afterwards to claim any partial refunds you might be entitled to, which is a real kick in the pants. Understandable if unused housing is freed up for other players but it is overly harsh they can't just mail you a refund rather than making you visit an npc in a limited time frame.
    Azaron_NightbladeBuschkatze
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    It really was something that sounded good on paper but so bad when implemented but they were in way too deep to dig themselves out of this badly designed housing system :)
    Buschkatze
  • SpookmggSpookmgg Member UncommonPosts: 18
    The reason people rent an apartment for 500k instead of going with the FC apartments for 250K is because the 500k apartments do not get demolished ever. So if you're a player who likes to take a break from the game once in a while this is the best choice for you.
    chilltime99KyleranValentina[Deleted User]BuschkatzeLokero
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    It's a very odd system considering other games that have unlimited housing. Look at Elder Scrolls Online or Rift. It's just a way for them to make money so why they keep it so limited is beyond me.
    onelesslightApridise
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

Spookmgg said:

The reason people rent an apartment for 500k instead of going with the FC apartments for 250K is because the 500k apartments do not get demolished ever. So if you're a player who likes to take a break from the game once in a while this is the best choice for you.

Yeah but they need larger apartment choices, the apartment isn't even an apartment but more of just a single tiny room.
    ApridiseBuschkatze
  • ShinyFlygonShinyFlygon Member UncommonPosts: 332
    There are a lot of things in FFXIV that seem to cater to a tiny minority of players. I can't pinpoint one overarching reason why I don't play anymore, but I could give a pretty long list of small reasons, and this is definitely one of them.
    ApridiseBuschkatze
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Housing and the way to acquire it is definitely a game weakness.

Hopefully it will get addressed at some point.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The answer to one question "WHY" was answered a long long time ago.
    SE had hoped...planned on housing being more of a GUILD/Linkshell idea than an individual idea.

I still point at Atlas as being the best template to follow right now because there is literally no limit until every square inch is consumed,you can build anywhere depending on server settings of course.

Also housing/building is right in the open game world and not hidden away in some instance.
    However in saying all of this a zone/s still have to have some sort of object limit,there is no such thing as endless object placement.

You have to also realize the quality of textures/objects,a zone or view by players can only handle so much,it is not like players can load endless amounts of polygons.
    Point being there ALWAYS has to be some sort of restrictions,even within an instance,it is still a zone.
    Buschkatze

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    They did not get this aspect of the game right tbh.
    Buschkatze
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MrJatobiMrJatobi Member UncommonPosts: 67

Wizardry said:

The answer to one question "WHY" was answered a long long time ago.

SE had hoped...planned on housing being more of a GUILD/Linkshell idea than an individual idea.

I still point at Atlas as being the best template to follow right now because there is literally no limit until every square inch is consumed,you can build anywhere depending on server settings of course.

Also housing/building is right in the open game world and not hidden away in some instance.

However in saying all of this a zone/s still have to have some sort of object limit,there is no such thing as endless object placement.

You have to also realize the quality of textures/objects,a zone or view by players can only handle so much,it is not like players can load endless amounts of polygons.

Point being there ALWAYS has to be some sort of restrictions,even within an instance,it is still a zone.

That does nothing to answer the why questions in the least.

Furthermore, do players have any issues loading into the current housing areas? No? I see no problem then. Generate more instances, this doesn't create more polygons on a map, it generates a new map, hence no issue.
    Buschkatze
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Yep. The limited housing really sucks for those of us who didn't get the game early on. I hope the rumors of an Ishgard housing district turn out to true. Although I bet that'd fill up instantly too.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• GableGable Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I was (and still am) under the impression that more housing would increase the load on the servers and thereby affect the stability of the game. I also thought this was widely known, but I haven't seen it brought up yet, so I may be wrong.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Gable said:
    I was (and still am) under the impression that more housing would increase the load on the servers and thereby affect the stability of the game. I also thought this was widely known, but I haven't seen it brought up yet, so I may be wrong.
    That's the reason that long time FFXIV players have cited to me before as well. Not sure about the accuracy of it. Whether it's actually something official, or the community's own interpretations.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• KobuuKobuu Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    As an FC leader, we have a house. That said I've spent the past several weeks placard spamming in the hopes to get my own little small plot. There is ALWAYS a crowd around me and I've lost several times.

The biggest flaw is the "move" function for FCs. Why do they get to skip in front just because? I also feel that the whole thing is suuuuper toxic and discourteous. I spend (this is true) 14 IRL hours trying to get a plot only to lose it to some shmuck who moves their house into it willy-nilly? Oh, and do you think they say something in chat about it? Nope!

Also, how about the fact that we have to set ourselves as "busy" for fear that someone could start a random, unsolicited trade with us that would literally tear us off the placard target thereby making it possible for, say, their friend to slide in on the timer. Sure, they don't know the timer either but when you're spamming it over and over, every attempt is a potential buy.

Lastly, macros/bots. As a console player i have to press the same buttons over and over. Sometimes my timing is off but I've gotten pretty quick. PC users, however, can run autokeyers, macros, and other things that can click those buttons much faster and in perfect sequence. I don't think I've seen this on Ultros, at least not in front of me, but i know it's a thing that people do and apparently SE isn't doing anything about it.

All of this could just go away with more housing. Period. But that's not going to happen. What we need is a silent auction mixed with a lottery. You out in your bid, down to the exact gil, then you're entered into the lottery. The server let's you know when/if your bid was accepted and you have a specific amount of time to get there and buy it otherwise it goes to the next bidder. That idea might need a little work to round out the details but it's doable and would at least save someone losing hours of their life and playtime just to spam buttons.
  • garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343
    I'm new to the game and I'll play the game as long as it provides some entertainment but to me FFXIV doesn't have housing. If I can't reasonably acquire housing then it doesn't exist.

It is misleading advertising if FFXIV uses housing as a selling point. They should be up front and say housing is limited to only 5 percent (or is it 1%) of the population and that most players will never have housing. Some folks equate rarity with value but my personal 'real' time is finite (and rare) and valuable to me and I won't throw it away on useless aspects of the game: luck-of-the-draw-housing.

In fact their current approach to housing is insulting to the player and shows little respect for a player's time and effort and it creates an environment of the 'haves' versus the 'have-nots'. Housing in FFXIV seems more like a social experiment than anything else and is based on luck.

New players need to know that FFXIV doesn't have any attainable housing for the majority of players. Housing isn't related to how hard you work at the game or how many achievements you master or mastering the game at all...it's based on nothing but serendipity. Their current approach doesn't make me want housing more...it makes me not care at all.

Play the game for the adventure? Very good.
    Play the game for housing? Very bad.