Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Lord of the Rings Online Nailed Moria's Sense Of Scale - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• c0796c0796 Member UncommonPosts: 39

It was one of the best expansions by an MMO ever. The two classes they added, Warden and Runekeeper, were great classes. The music for the expansion was great, and the zone of Lorien they put in was sort of the icing on the cake.

Nowadays, people who play the game are just hoping the game goes away ASAP so another company can have a go at middle earth.

Yeah, when that happens, I can see someone scooping this up maybe private servers?
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited August 2019
    The introduction of radiance (i.e. mandatory vertical progression) killed off all semblance of casual raiding, which at the time was about 50% of the raiding community (on my server anyway). Legendary weapons seemed great to start with, until you realised it was a dumb system until you hit the level cap, where it became exciting to max out a weapon, but a RNG and grindy nightmare to get to that point. 
    Radiance was awful, but on a bit larger scale it was still a positive since they've removed it a year later :smile:  Which is a rare thing, how often a dev team actually listens and removes something big they've been working on for a while?
    Sadly their memories are leaky, and a (nearly) decade later they revived it for Mordor... in spirit, at least. Radiance 2.0, if you like. And it's just as awful as the Moria radiance was.

There was a thread about LIs before, I can only repeat myself with nope, the system and the idea was great, and it worked well at start. When you got the first LI at 50, and the cap was 60. Even with Mirkwood's 65. It was a fairly short ride to build your LI the way you wanted, and the RNG wasn't too bad either.

Problem started after the f2p switch (cash shop LI items) and from Isengard the cap rasies to 75, then 85, etc. while the LI system was left alone. With every raise you needed a new LI and it was more and more tedious to cap one... you might even think it was on purpose, to nudge players towards the cash shop, but let's not stoop that low.
    If I remember right HD was the first big breakpoint, when you started to hear voices (and see forum threads) about: F. this, I won't start over to make a new LI, this is BS.
    But Turbine only took it seriously at the next stop, when the cap was 100 and a lot of players still had their previous LIs, with no intent to build a new one. Hence the rework of the system into imbuement (which was just a half-assed solution).

tl;dr, IMO the original idea and the Moria - Mirkwood era LIs were good.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Funny how time and perspective change things. When Moria first came out vast majority thought it was a joke. It was not anything like people expected it to be. But it set the tone of how Turbine was going to fail in delivering on expectations. It was ironically the best expansion they put out. Which says a lot more about the others than it does Moria.

But like most maps with Lotro it was only 'awe inspiring' until you discovered the fast travel spots and could simply jump on a goat or a mount and just go AFK.

Lotro had potential to be something special but decisions were made that set them down a path of least resistance. Even when WB got involved it only got worse not better.

Its still fun to go back once in awhile to check out "Middle Earth'. But I havent 'played' since I dont know when. I at least used to go back and do the book updates but I am not even sure which one of those I am on right now. The Swan city one I guess. Whatever that one is.
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    I really enjoyed LOTRO back in the day, but my biggest problem was that you spent way too much time just getting from place to place and not actually playing. That said Mines of Moria was awesome. I would love to see a dungeon of that scale in ESO.
    Scot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    edited August 2019
    jbombard said:
    I really enjoyed LOTRO back in the day, but my biggest problem was that you spent way too much time just getting from place to place and not actually playing. That said Mines of Moria was awesome. I would love to see a dungeon of that scale in ESO.
    If you thought you took to much time getting around in LotRO I wonder what you would have made of DAOC? :)

But yes, maybe all the MMOs that try for a AAA mantle should have a massive dungeon expansion, can only add to the game.
    Post edited by Scot on
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    It was one of the best expansions by an MMO ever. The two classes they added, Warden and Runekeeper, were great classes. The music for the expansion was great, and the zone of Lorien they put in was sort of the icing on the cake.

The dungeons were excellent, and the loot from them was great. They had radiance, which ended up being bad, but it was pretty good for that expansion. The legendary item system was good for that expansion, but ended up as one of the most hated things about the game once you got to level 100.

The game went down hill after Moria. Mirkwood looked great but really wasn't. That was the start of the F2P experience which meant from now on you got quest hubs. The game hit it's low point with the Isengard expansion, then got better with the Rohan expansion and it's great music. Then it took an even bigger nose dive with Helm's Deep.

Mordor was great though...but the game has been getting worse with each update.

Nowadays, people who play the game are just hoping the game goes away ASAP so another company can have a go at middle earth.
    Don't lump people into categories you have no clue about.  The game has gotten better, not worse and there are a lot of people still playing it.  Your opinion is your opinion NOT everyone else's'
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    jbombard said:
    hmmm, I would argue that the traveling "is" the playing.

Sort of like saying that all the traveling in Shadow of the Colossus got in the way of game play.

The idea of creating "all of that" is so the player can "be" in middle earth. It's one of the reasons why I find being in Lord of the Rings Online a better "world" experience than, say, Elder Scrolls Online.

I've enjoyed discovering things in Lord of the Rings Online far more than most other mmorpg's. If only some of those discoveries weren't met with "you don't have the correct quest to enter ..." or whatever the game says to bar the player's entry.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    edited August 2019
    Legendary system and then beginning of specific barrier gear like Radiance (although you needed shadow protection for Rift too didnt you?). I hated Mines of Moria. Other things came along which I also hated like Big Battles and Mordor, but Moria is still one of the worst.

In terms of how well the area was designed, I guess it was okay, but it didnt make the game better.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

No I think a lot of ppl still like lotro, just wish they update the graphics engine.

I think you might be thinking of swtor - now THAT really needs to go away lol :P
  • Shooter564567Shooter564567 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    people still play that shit?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    people still play that shit?
    Yes so it must be good shit. :)
    Sovrath
  • BC_AnimusBC_Animus Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Moria killed my laptop's graphics card back in the day when I was still playing LoTRO, meh. Good times.
  • GameolioDanGameolioDan Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Wowsers. Reading the article and checking out those screenshots definitely makes me want to get a hustle on and get down into the depths. Hopefully I'll get up to Moria by 2025! :)
    G'day! Aussie guy that records videos of his gameplay. I stream gameplay too.

Youtube: http://youtube.com/c/gameoliodan
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/gameoliodan