Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Opens Even More WoW: Classic Servers After Warning Of Overcrowding - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzard Opens Even More WoW: Classic Servers After Warning Of Overcrowding - MMORPG.com

Earlier MMORPG reported that Blizzard opened a new server to combat overcrowding on the Herod server in World of Warcraft: Classic. Blizzard has since opened even more servers in anticipation of its launch.

Read the full story here

Comments

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    edited August 2019
    Let's be honest though. They will be merging servers or have dead servers in 2 months. Almost everyone I know who is hyped about classic has never played classic.
    jimmywolfDrunkWolfScellowk61977MaxxaureateGaladournWhiskeydustUnbino[Deleted User]velimiriusand 13 others.
     I've been here a while...
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398

Let's be honest though. They will be merging servers or have dead servers in 2 months.

Almost everyone I know who is hyped about classic has never played classic.

this, they should just increase server capacity, and since it is 2019, it should be automated if they use something like AWS, and since everyone pays a sub, they have 0 excuses for not paying for better servers
    [Deleted User]McOdenSignexGdemamisubxaeroAxxar[Deleted User]
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    edited August 2019
    Let's be honest though. They will be merging servers or have dead servers in 2 months. Almost everyone I know who is hyped about classic has never played classic.

It might take a little longer than 2 months i dunno. but I have played on pvt vanilla servers before and i remember this new server i joined was just opening. It had over 10k accounts log into the server within the first 24 hours. the ques were long the population was crazy.

but no joke after a month the population had plummeted. It will probably go longer here since its official servers, but i mean it was pretty crazy how fast the population dissapeared, and this was on a free server.
    Whiskeydustvelimiriusbcbullyinfomatz
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

Let's be honest though. They will be merging servers or have dead servers in 2 months.

I give them about 4 months till all these people realize these aren't time lock servers an they have done all there is to do an have all the best gear they can ever get.
    Whiskeydustdoomexblamo2000
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Or they will stick for months, like they did back in 2004. I don't know about newer players who never actually played Classic, but those who did know what it's all about (and can't wait to log in)...
    WhiskeydustvelimiriusHuntrezzGdemamisubxaerosacredcow4AxxarDrDream
  • SephrusSephrus Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I'm sure it will all work out. There will always be enough folks to fill 1 server anyway. And that's enough for me.
    Whiskeydust
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I think there will be empty servers on day 1 - those running the current version.
    laseritF2PlagueWhiskeydustPhryvelimiriusCelciusXingbairongGdemamionelesslightAxxarand 5 others.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    It's just hard to say how long will people stick with a game many have already put several years into. Usually nostalgia wears off pretty fast.
    DeadSpockWhiskeydustHuntrezzSignex
  • KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

k61977 said:

I give them about 4 months till all these people realize these aren't time lock servers an they have done all there is to do an have all the best gear they can ever get.

These ARE time lock servers, and they have already rolled out the plan showing the next 4 phases that will be added to the Classic servers over time btw.
    XingbairongAxxarmike32927

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It didn't take long for the regular elitist ass hats and randy random no one wants to talk to community to come back again.
    subxaero

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    k61977 said:

There are 6 phases of content to be released for Classic. It's time locked. Why even post if you don't know basic facts about the game you're trying to disparage?
    XingbairongAxxarmike32927Nepheth
    Utinni said:
    k61977 said:

There are 6 phases of content to be released for Classic. It's time locked. Why even post if you don't know basic facts about the game you're trying to disparage?

just wondering, do you happen to have a link showing the time line and what they will be adding in each phase?
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    edited August 2019
    DrunkWolf said:
    Utinni said:
    k61977 said:

just wondering, do you happen to have a link showing the time line and what they will be adding in each phase?
    Here you go -
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/classic-content-plan/120346

edit- more exhaustive list and info here...
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/everything-we-definitively-know-about-classic/25299
    Axxarinfomatz[Deleted User]
    edited August 2019
    DrunkWolf said:
    Utinni said:
    k61977 said:

Here you go -
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/classic-content-plan/120346

edit- more exhaustive list and info here...
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/everything-we-definitively-know-about-classic/25299
    ty, i didnt see dates on when those phases will launch, is it on there?

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

Scellow said:

this, they should just increase server capacity, and since it is 2019, it should be automated if they use something like AWS, and since everyone pays a sub, they have 0 excuses for not paying for better servers

They have increased server capacity substantially. If you read into it a bit, the highest population of the old servers is only Medium on the new classic servers. They also can't really just increase server capacity past a certain point because the game can only have so many people before it becomes a miserable experience for everyone.
    XingbairongWaanAxxar
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

Apart from all the posters on here who have played it and want to play it again you mean? :)
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    Why so many PvP servers, and so few PvE ones?
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited August 2019

Finvega said:

ppl want Wpvp so badly since retail has no real wpvp since flying mounts

But once the dust settles , ppl will start crying again , ganked for 2h , cant quest , farm ...or anything...had to logout , there were camping the graveyard even!!!

nerf rogues! 2 rogues ganking every1 in stv , tyrs hand or w/e....

we just wanted to do UBRS and took 30 min traveling , 30 min trying to enter because getting killed again and again , tank only had 40 min left so he droped the group :(

i played on a vanilla pvp server and it was fun at first , then no so much , raiding time a 22:00 , start the for raid 30 min before and start entering because there is like 50 players from the other faction waiting the raid to start killing everything in sight ... MC cave was usually a unbalanced battleground.

world buffs? GL with that
    SignexjimmywolfGdemami
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Classic is pretty much the only way Blizzard are going to hit 10 million+ subs for WoW, they just have to not screw it up again. :/
    kertinGdemamiLtldoggsubxaeromrputtsAxxarSeelinnikoiTacticalZombeh[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191

Warlyx said:

Finvega said:

ppl want Wpvp so badly since retail has no real wpvp since flying mounts

But once the dust settles , ppl will start crying again , ganked for 2h , cant quest , farm ...or anything...had to logout , there were camping the graveyard even!!!

nerf rogues! 2 rogues ganking every1 in stv , tyrs hand or w/e....

we just wanted to do UBRS and took 30 min traveling , 30 min trying to enter because getting killed again and again , tank only had 40 min left so he droped the group :(

i played on a vanilla pvp server and it was fun at first , then no so much , raiding time a 22:00 , start the for raid 30 min before and start entering because there is like 50 players from the other faction waiting the raid to start killing everything in sight ... MC cave was usually a unbalanced battleground.

world buffs? GL with that

The over exaggeration is strong with this post.
    Gdemami
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited August 2019
    You sound like a spurned girlfriend ' blizzard cheated on me' seriously did Wow effect you that much lmfao.

I think you will be in for a surprised and it will go on for far longer than you think. It will be they're main game that suffers over time. 

On top of that I really think it will be the likes of ESO and other mmo's that will feel the bite once word gets out how fun it is, especially if you never played original Wow. 

Don't worry we know you'll be playing it, you won't be able to resist.

You really think that players today won't conform to the old way of playing Wow? I think you are giving to much credit to how hard it actually was.

PhryGdemamisacredcow4

Rhoklaw said:
    Everyone you know is most certainly not the majority of players. I agree, a lot of retail WoW players who never experienced WoW Classic will most likely buckle under the pressure of a non instant gratification game play. A game that actually challenges them before they go raiding. However, this game wasn't brought back for THEM. It's being brought back for the players who DID actually play vanilla WoW. Which are precisely the kind of people who will stick with it a lot longer than a year. Retail WoW is a damn joke.
    No.

Don't kid yourself Activision Blizzard are doing this to make money. Period.

They are not "bothered" whether its played by old, players or even new players; just the bottomline.

And based on their previous 100M accounts comment an average of 10M players a year left WoW from launch. Which suggests to me that at their core players then were a lot like players today. The difference is that - unlike then - WoW today has to compete with many more games plus things like on demand TV, Twitch etc.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Celcius said:

Scellow said:

They have increased server capacity substantially. If you read into it a bit, the highest population of the old servers is only Medium on the new classic servers. They also can't really just increase server capacity past a certain point without significant redesign of the network code etc. because the game can only have so many people before it becomes a miserable experience for everyone.
    The more redesign the greater the cost. The greater the cost the greater the risk and the lower the potential profit.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Scot said:

Apart from all the posters on here who have played it and want to play it again you mean? :)

Yeah. I don't get the random comments on people who probably haven't played the game(since they are 15 now) and say that everyone they know(guess their age) haven't played classic either...

It's a fact that private servers have existed for years. It's a fact that private servers have been doing well and that's considering that 1. they are garbage for the most part(filled with bugs/exploiters etc...) and 2. most people don't want to play on private servers. From the original 37 hardcore WoW friends I have only 2 play BfA and in the most casual way, but everyone has said that they are going to be playing classic. And yeah most of them might be casuals since their lifes won't allow to be more serious about the game, BUT they are going to play for as long as the servers exist.
    So classic will do just fine... People saying that it will die out in 2 months when the vast majority of players that have limited time to play will probably take more than a month to hit 60 alone is just laughable.
    Once PvP goes live it will get even more lively since that's one of the things people want to play the most. The good ol' PvP. Not balanced in anyway, BUT FUN!
    BruceYeePhry[Deleted User]
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Scot said:

Yeah. I don't get the random comments on people who probably haven't played the game(since they are 15 now) and say that everyone they know(guess their age) haven't played classic either...

It's a fact that private servers have existed for years. It's a fact that private servers have been doing well and that's considering that 1. they are garbage for the most part(filled with bugs/exploiters etc...) and 2. most people don't want to play on private servers. From the original 37 hardcore WoW friends I have only 2 play BfA and in the most casual way, but everyone has said that they are going to be playing classic. And yeah most of them might be casuals since their lifes won't allow to be more serious about the game, BUT they are going to play for as long as the servers exist.
    So classic will do just fine... People saying that it will die out in 2 months when the vast majority of players that have limited time to play will probably take more than a month to hit 60 alone is just laughable.
    Once PvP goes live it will get even more lively since that's one of the things people want to play the most. The good ol' PvP. Not balanced in anyway, BUT FUN!
    It will likely be successful, as long as Blizzard don't screw it up, and by that i mean think for one second that disimproving Classic will somehow drive players back to BfA, it won't. BfA is a failed game and that is the one thing that a successful Classic will prove, that they have had to increase server numbers just drives this point home even more. ;)
    Xingbairong