Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth to try ShadowBane Emulator or DAOC ?

badermalbadermal Member UncommonPosts: 250
so as the title says which one is worth to try? (i know both games are dated but there is nothing out there)

Comments

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    There's a ShadowBane emulator?  
    Phry
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    badermal said:
    so as the title says which one is worth to try? (i know both games are dated but there is nothing out there)
    Only one way to find out.

You could find their forums, if they have them, and see how the community is before you download and set things up.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    To me, nothing beats DAoC.  At least in short doses.   If they every really updated that game to 2019 I'd be in heaven.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    badermal said:
    For me the two games were different so couldn't say one over the other.

As far as nothing out there though the new Darkfall games are akin to Shadowbane - can't comment on Crowfall.

As for DAoC the Realm vs. Realm vs. Realm campaign in ESO is very DAoC - wizards porting you, your realms guards spawning at a keep etc. after you have captured it, battering rams on the doors and more. Very different feel to the rest of ESO. (Matt Frior after all). And the way the campaigns are implemented means that you don't get the same balance issues.

Or if you just want to play an "old game" there is always CoH!

Enjoy whatever though.
    alkarionlog
  • badermalbadermal Member UncommonPosts: 250
    @Slapshot1188 not true DAOC never has player built nation it just has preset castle which is main downfall for it

@gervaise1 ESO is really good? its more of Themepark though lol and we got only 3 castle 
    also what is COH? 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    edited August 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    badermal said:

As for DAoC the Realm vs. Realm vs. Realm campaign in ESO is very DAoC - wizards porting you, your realms guards spawning at a keep etc. after you have captured it, battering rams on the doors and more. Very different feel to the rest of ESO. (Matt Frior after all). And the way the campaigns are implemented means that you don't get the same balance issues.

Every time someone compares ESO Cyrodiil to Daoc a puppy dies.
    alkarionlog
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    badermal said:
    I don't know about SB but I played on a Daoc free server before...problem with these servers is they are empty, and in a game like Daoc no people means no game. Right now there are 26 players online the most popular one. Just sayin... I would pay a sub for a Steam release classic Daoc server. I only say Steam because it would attract the most people.
    Slapshot1188
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    lol really? i need to wait for steam release of game that is 16 years old

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    badermal said:
    @Slapshot1188 not true DAOC never has player built nation it just has preset castle which is main downfall for it

@gervaise1 ESO is really good? its more of Themepark though lol and we got only 3 castle 
    also what is COH? 
    Which part of my statement " To me, nothing beats DAoC.  At least in short doses.   If they ever really updated that game to 2019 I'd be in heaven." is not true?

Are you inferring that you are in my head and I am lying to myself?

Curious response...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Shadowbane problem on a private server would be population, and then the possible reset it would happen, even though lvling on it can be done by a lvl 80 killing lvl 80 mobs with lvl 11 peeps in the group (if you need to catch up or lvling a alt for guild reasons) you would need people with several classes to cap things and build then, the good of sahdownbane is if you want a gear with a certain option all you had to do is have the mats and have teh npc craft it, the problem is, not cheap, need a guild with a land and build teh workshop required to craft it
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    would just wait for  CU instead of remaster of DAOC
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited August 2019
    There's a shdowbane emulator. I tried it a few years ago. It wipes every several months, I think.

I've long played PvP MMORPGs. I played Shadowbane in late 2003. I remember a lot of roaming. I remember joining a guild with a couple members trying to build a city, but we didn't have enough resource to build much. Back to the present, what made me quit the emulated Shadowbane server? I was roaming around a city and noticed the NPCs stared blankly ahead. None of them were doing anything. Most of the houses were empty. Suddenly it dawned on me this isn't what I wanted. I wnat a FFA PvP MMORPG with a fully realized PvE. Shadowbane never really offered that, but I think the official servers did a slightly better job--maybe only in terms of the larger variety of starting areas, and generally being more complete. I liked hte starting areas a lot. They were well populated by players and the PvE wasn't bad. The music was great. However, Shadowbane was always about PvP, not PvE. This might be one reason I always ended up quiting at higher levels. The game is designed to increasingly force you into PvP. I was always comparing the PvE to Everquest or Ultima Online, and not liking it at all.

I did try the DAOC emulated server almost 10 years ago. My impression was it was buggy. I never played it much. I quit because of graphical glitches. One favorable thing about DAOC was it had dungeons and quests. Compared to Shadowbane, its PvE is probably better. It was a lot more like Everquest than Shadowbane.

I want to say I always felt Shadowbane would have been better if the whole landscape was like hte hotspots where hunting happens.  I hated the barren moonscape with sparse trees. Very boring. Symptomatic of its PvP focus.

I recently  tried Darkfall: Rise of Agon and liked it. I'd recommend it to people who'd play emulated SB or DAOC. Why not? What have you to lose? It's more modern. It also has some conflict over territory, and between clans. It reminds me more of DAOC.

Darkfall: Rise of Agon link:

Sometimes I toy with the idea of trying the offical DAOC servers. It's absurd they're still active. Population is smaller than in Everquest. The fact they're both still active says something about their sense of purpose. Other games shut their days much earlier, with seeming higher pops, like SWG or Matrix Online or Wildstar Online.
    edited August 2019
    but i prefer more pvp than pve so it suitable for me
    also rise of agon sadly dont have medieval siege engines like catapult
    treb battering ram instead they have flying tower which is weird
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

I want to say I always felt Shadowbane would have been better if the whole landscape was like hte hotspots where hunting happens.  I hated the barren moonscape with sparse trees. Very boring. Symptomatic of its PvP focus.

There are. They are called hotzones. Also happens in the zones where elite armor drops.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    SBemu is still up and running, its a little over 2 months into a server reset which happens about every 6 months. Plenty of nations battling for mines, runes, and baning each week. 

SB also has one of the best character creation systems with a ridiculous number of ways to build characters. 

https://shadowbaneemulator.com/
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    edited August 2019

The sparse areas outside of mob zones are there so you can place cities. If the whole map was mob zones you would have to have designated building sites. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited August 2019
    badermal said:

also what is COH? 
    My comment was about a very specific part of ESO: the Realm vs. Realm vs. Realm part (RvRvR) element. This was included at launch and is very different to ESO's PvE. Matt Frior was a key driving force behind DAoC and it is he who has overseen ESO's development since day 1.

Suffice to say the RvRvR part has many of the features of DAoC's Frontiers - and then some. Castles to capture, towns, mines, temples ..... guards that spawn ... realm control ... siege weapons - battering rams, catapults, ballistas, trebuchets and Flaming Oil  .. repair kits for the walls etc ....fast flowing combat with no death penalty. 

There are people - and guilds - that have no interest at all in the PvE part of ESO that spend all their time there. Results in some very "friendly" and stable guilds. 

Big advantage over DAoC: it doesn't suffer from DAoC's eternal population problem. Campaigns are "instances". The instances are drawn from the mega-server(s) though - so several thousand people in a huge area (they suggested c 2,200 per realm at launch). They last a defined period of  time e.g. week and then reset.

You just need an ESO version which includes that "basic" game to play which coul dbe had for under $10 when I last looked on Amazon, with no sub. One of the earliest DLCs was Imperial City - which was modelled on Darkness Falls. 

I wont go on. You can do a search and you will find discussions and videos out there.

CoH is City of Heroes / City of Villains. COH launched before WoW with CoV coming subsequently.  Very different in many ways but CoV introduces PvP specific zones which operate at different levels - so like DAoC in that regard. And its not at all medieval - well the PvP the PvE can be.
  • ImperilImperil Member UncommonPosts: 28
    edited August 2019
    Viper482 said:
    badermal said:
    I don't know about SB but I played on a Daoc free server before...problem with these servers is they are empty, and in a game like Daoc no people means no game. Right now there are 26 players online the most popular one. Just sayin... I would pay a sub for a Steam release classic Daoc server. I only say Steam because it would attract the most people.
    Phoenix freeshard (the most popular server) generally sits at 1000-1200 average online (1300 as I'm posting), and sometimes 1300-1500 during peak times/days... 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    There's a shdowbane emulator. I tried it a few years ago. It wipes every several months, I think.

I've long played PvP MMORPGs. I played Shadowbane in late 2003. I remember a lot of roaming. I remember joining a guild with a couple members trying to build a city, but we didn't have enough resource to build much. Back to the present, what made me quit the emulated Shadowbane server? I was roaming around a city and noticed the NPCs stared blankly ahead. None of them were doing anything. Most of the houses were empty. Suddenly it dawned on me this isn't what I wanted. I wnat a FFA PvP MMORPG with a fully realized PvE. Shadowbane never really offered that, but I think the official servers did a slightly better job--maybe only in terms of the larger variety of starting areas, and generally being more complete. I liked hte starting areas a lot. They were well populated by players and the PvE wasn't bad. The music was great. However, Shadowbane was always about PvP, not PvE. This might be one reason I always ended up quiting at higher levels. The game is designed to increasingly force you into PvP. I was always comparing the PvE to Everquest or Ultima Online, and not liking it at all.

I did try the DAOC emulated server almost 10 years ago. My impression was it was buggy. I never played it much. I quit because of graphical glitches. One favorable thing about DAOC was it had dungeons and quests. Compared to Shadowbane, its PvE is probably better. It was a lot more like Everquest than Shadowbane.

I recently  tried Darkfall: Rise of Agon and liked it. I'd recommend it to people who'd play emulated SB or DAOC. Why not? What have you to lose? It's more modern. It also has some conflict over territory, and between clans. It reminds me more of DAOC.

Darkfall: Rise of Agon link:

Sometimes I toy with the idea of trying the offical DAOC servers. It's absurd they're still active. Population is smaller than in Everquest. The fact they're both still active says something about their sense of purpose. Other games shut their days much earlier, with seeming higher pops, like SWG or Matrix Online or Wildstar Online.
    from what I remember the original was like that too, and only had 4 starting towns, the rest was farming and killing named mobs for stones to learn prestige classes, and npcs was most static in a place, and you spend a lot of time on travel stance
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited August 2019
    Utinni said:

There are. They are called hotzones. Also happens in the zones where elite armor drops.
     I played SB for years, up to r7, so you're confusing me. I mean the area where players built  their cities. It was barren. Players couldn't build on top of the hotzones (PvE areas). Later PvP MMO's were big upgrades in this area, in that the whole environment was alive with PvE and scenery, not just designated areas.
    edited August 2019
    also i wanted to ask which siege is more fun DAOC or shadowbane or Rise of agon?