Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia Reveals Host of RTX Enabled Games, Minecraft Receives Drastic Update - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageNvidia Reveals Host of RTX Enabled Games, Minecraft Receives Drastic Update - MMORPG.com

At Gamescom earlier today, Nvidia unveiled a roster of games set to receive ray tracing updates, with Minecraft receiving a ground-up overhaul.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    RTX in a sandbox would this be a good idea?
    i mean the block updates alone can lag ur computer if its not good enough!
    lotrlore
  • InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

The block updates are done with CPU, whereas RTX is done with GPU.

Performance wise it's a good idea because Minecraft has low resolution textures and simple enough graphics that the GPU has very little work to do. If GeForce RTX GPUs are powerful enough to do ray-tracing for any of the modern games, Minecraft is likely that game.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

I thought Microsoft axed the graphics overhaul?

I would assume that this "feature" - can't call it an overhaul since its specific to RTX cards - was done by NVidia with only marginal support provided by Microsoft.

Vrika said:

Performance wise it's a good idea because Minecraft has low resolution textures and simple enough graphics that the GPU has very little work to do. If GeForce RTX GPUs are powerful enough to do ray-tracing for any of the modern games, Minecraft is likely that game.

But thats using the standard texture pack...... this isnt the case with 90% of the community that use 64x pixel pack + and then shaders on top of that.

i can see this being performance heavy low chunk loading and no texture pack and shaders

Since this will be a PC update only (current gen console have no ray tracing) i doubt this feature will be turned on by people with a 2060 if they want shaders and better textures, ray tracing is a gimmick at best and putting it in a game like minecraft is a waste (until console since its a wider market for children and hardware)
    edited August 2019

DMKano said:

Vrika said:

But thats using the standard texture pack...... this isnt the case with 90% of the community that use 64x pixel pack + and then shaders on top of that.

i can see this being performance heavy low chunk loading and no texture pack and shaders

Since this will be a PC update only (current gen console have no ray tracing) i doubt this feature will be turned on by people with a 2060 if they want shaders and better textures, ray tracing is a gimmick at best and putting it in a game like minecraft is a waste (until console since its a wider market for children and hardware)

Minecraft doesn't only apply to children though.

I think RTX looks awesome in case of minecraft. Not a fan of Nvidia RTX but as a minecraft player - I really like the way it looks

I'm not saying it doesnt look nice! and i like minecraft its a chill game but most of the player base is children because minecraft is used as a tool in schools!

i guess what i meant to say is that parents are more willing to buy a console than a whole new computer for the family (children are expensive) as consoles are generally cheeper (not better), the next gen consoles are atleast a year away so this is kinda a wasted upgrade until then (where it will just work! flawlessly? remains to be seen!) that wont be used by the majority of the PC minecraft playerbase because of hardware issues (price of rtx cards and also the need for a half decent cpu to have some what of a good chunk distance) because of how demanding minecraft can get and RTX will amplify this effect.

RTX in general was just gimmicky that just makes games even more expensive to develop it wasnt needed!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Whether you like the ray-tracing effects or not, I wouldn't complain about having additional options that you can turn off if so inclined.