Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So you want Open World Dungeons in future MMOs? Well tell us whats the best way to implement it

Comments

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Random drops with random stats will keep us farming for a long time.
    Steelhelm
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    DMKano said:
    Myrdynn said:
    drop the this boss drops this item, and make look like Asheron's Call, and call it a day, put whatever bosses you want wherever you want.  I can't believe 20 years later nobody has even come close to the AC loot system

Because the majority of playerbase can't grasp anything that's other than their expectations. Players expect mechanics to work in a specific way - like bosses need to drop good loot - if you deviate from this - masses lose all interest.

That's what happens when anything becomes popular - diversity dies and it all becomes same-same

you drastically deviate from what players expect = ded game
    I would just like to see even a slight twist in the current system

like this shield always drops from this boss, but it can have random stats

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    edited August 2019
    Stupid thread. Its already been done and the games are still up. Just do it again. /thread

For those not in the know the first two I can think of in a split second would be Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot.
    Steelhelm
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Seen this request a bit over the years and more so in recent discussions. 

OPEN WORLD DUNGEONS.

But lets say hypothetically speaking, this new MMO is a large densely populated MMO like WoW/GW2 etc

How would you design these Open World Dungeons to be a fun experience?
    "Best" for whom?

"Fun" for whom?

Did you know that many players actually liked the way they were implemented back in the day?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    AlBQuirky said:

OPEN WORLD DUNGEONS.

But lets say hypothetically speaking, this new MMO is a large densely populated MMO like WoW/GW2 etc

"Best" for whom?

"Fun" for whom?

Did you know that many players actually liked the way they were implemented back in the day?
    We talking about new MMos. Not old games. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    rifts in rift and the rifts in elderscrolls work well and could be done in a larger manner.
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    EQ dungeons have been my favourite to play in than any other game dispite mechanically they were extremely subpar to todays standard.

Things that made EQ dungeons so enjoyable for me was the unpredictability of them, Mobs spawning ontop of your camp made you have to react and move mobs your tanky realy quickly so you had to be on your toes, You had to be wary of trains (Mobs didnt have a leash line so player in a pickle had to run to the zone line dragging every mob they run past with them, In eq most player had a macro Train to zone they would mash a couple times when they decide it time to run)
    This is to alert other groups they may wanna get out of the way very few people did this on purpose because back then having a bad name didnt go to well since it was very group ordinate. Kunark era as mention by somone already alot of the dungeons exit were move away from the entrance probaly to stop trains killing people standing by the zone line afk it added an extra level of difficulty where you wanted to make sure your prepared before entering because you will have some fighting to do before you can even get out of there otherwise you may be requiring a teleport out by your friendly neighbourhood druid/wizard.
    I have a feeling these thing may not go aswell these days often people wernt selfish in that game because they knew one day they would need help so people often went out of there way to help other stuck, players nowaday are use to the solo play so i tend to find there a little more selfish in there actions but who knows if having a new game come out that wasnt solo friendly it may change the way player may play the game.

Now adays i only realy play games with open world PvP because i miss the unpredicability of the pre WoW are which players wanting to kill you add, just think of them as a patrolling boss kinda thing you wanna avoid of flee from.
    Post WoW PvE became very stale and practically player it self you were literaly following a dance, run to wall when boss says this jump when he does that and so on. If you can play simon said all bosses were brain dead fights only to be decided if your geared enough to beat the dps race and your Group/raid group could follow direction given. I welcome a game that bring back the feel off a living world that Everquest had roaming high level mobs in low zones, some npc that dislike a player for worshipping said god and the unpredicabile nature of the world itself from patrolling mobs, trains cause by players trying to save there ass, Bosses not always up waiting in there waiting in their specific room to be killed and so on, there nothing worst the leash lines imo to kill immersion yeah im gonna chase you for 10 meters get bored and wander back to my room to wait for you to come back and try and kill me.

If somone were to remake a game pretty much identically to a game like Everquest but updated there combat mechanics and some decent mechanics to bosses fights i would play it in a heart beat (Pref open world PvP aswell)
    Steelhelm
    AlBQuirky said:

OPEN WORLD DUNGEONS.

"Best" for whom?

"Fun" for whom?

But which players are we aiming for? Soloers? Groupies? The Time challenged? No Lifers? You can't please them all.
    NorseGod

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Robokapp said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:

OPEN WORLD DUNGEONS.

"Best" for whom?

"Fun" for whom?

But which players are we aiming for? Soloers? Groupies? The Time challenged? No Lifers? You can't please them all.
    why cant variety exist?
    Player's will do content that they like "less", in order to continue to advance their character or be in a place they can actually find groups. 

So even if you make variety and do an amazing job at it, people are likely to just be at the place that the most reliable or optimal guide tells them to be.  

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Important point raised here. They need to choose and tell others to move on.
    AlBQuirky
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    Robokapp said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:

OPEN WORLD DUNGEONS.

"Best" for whom?

"Fun" for whom?

why cant variety exist?
    Variety is a great thing and CAN exist! In different games.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Open world dungeons for me are:
    Having to beat a chain of quests to "unlock" the dungeon. The dungeon will be an area on the world map that is being spawned as a dungeon for that specific group of players that have unlocked it.

The dungeon will only open up if all group members finished the quest chain,  quest chain should be hard to finish., having a full group (4,5, 6) players, the level of the dungeon mobs are based on the average of the group players levels.

Dungeon will have a few waves of mobs with a mini boss in every wave, every wave should be harder with better loot.  The last boss should be hard and an epic fight that takes time to kill.
    After finishing the open dungeon on the open world the players will be on a specific timer that they can not do the dungeon again for a week, 2 weeks or even a month. To re-do that open dungeon, there should be another quest to finish so that your player + other players trigger the open world dungeon spawn.

When you trigger the open world dungeon, the dungeon should be private to your group. Give the spawn points of these dungeons random spots on the world map. So that you are not being queued if another group is doing it.
    Other players (non group members) should see your fights with these dungeon spawns. But they can not help the fight.

Loot drops should be random, as we want the players to do the dungeon a few times to get their specific stats gear/weapons and or even crafting recipes.
    And because the dungeon spawn bases its mobs level on the average of the player levels, this will keep it hard every time you run it.

This open world mmo should also have real open cave dungeons, the deeper you go the harder it gets. Even some areas where cave dungeons or area's are PvP only.

Raid dungeons should have the same mechanics of opening them up. Huge quest chain to open the availability to your player, all members should have finished the quest chain to have access. raid members all get a timeout token for an even longer time after finishing the raid.

This is the exact opposite of open world dungeons. 
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    If you said even 10 years ago that it can be a public open tap dungeon I would have turned my nose up at it but that's probably the "best" solution given todays gaming standards. Because who would like a challenging group required dungeon anymore right?

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

edited August 2019
    Having to beat a chain of quests to "unlock" the dungeon. The dungeon will be an area on the world map that is being spawned as a dungeon for that specific group of players that have unlocked it.

The dungeon will only open up if all group members finished the quest chain,  quest chain should be hard to finish., having a full group (4,5, 6) players, the level of the dungeon mobs are based on the average of the group players levels.

Dungeon will have a few waves of mobs with a mini boss in every wave, every wave should be harder with better loot.  The last boss should be hard and an epic fight that takes time to kill.
    After finishing the open dungeon on the open world the players will be on a specific timer that they can not do the dungeon again for a week, 2 weeks or even a month. To re-do that open dungeon, there should be another quest to finish so that your player + other players trigger the open world dungeon spawn.

When you trigger the open world dungeon, the dungeon should be private to your group. Give the spawn points of these dungeons random spots on the world map. So that you are not being queued if another group is doing it.
    Other players (non group members) should see your fights with these dungeon spawns. But they can not help the fight.

Loot drops should be random, as we want the players to do the dungeon a few times to get their specific stats gear/weapons and or even crafting recipes.
    And because the dungeon spawn bases its mobs level on the average of the player levels, this will keep it hard every time you run it.

This open world mmo should also have real open cave dungeons, the deeper you go the harder it gets. Even some areas where cave dungeons or area's are PvP only.

Raid dungeons should have the same mechanics of opening them up. Huge quest chain to open the availability to your player, all members should have finished the quest chain to have access. raid members all get a timeout token for an even longer time after finishing the raid.

"Real" open world dungeons do not work systematically in MMO's. It does in RPG games. Not in MMO's.
    And how more crowded the MMO is the less attractive this "real" open world dungeons will be.

So, then... "Open World Dungeons" is no for you?

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

"Real" open world dungeons do not work systematically in MMO's. It does in RPG games. Not in MMO's.
    And how more crowded the MMO is the less attractive this "real" open world dungeons will be.

Worked well in Lineage 2.

I think it's the expectations that have to be managed. If players want an experience that is solely them then "no" it won't work for them. If players understand that they can run into everyone and anyone and that's ok with them then sure, they work.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    Sovrath said:

I think it's the expectations that have to be managed. If players want an experience that is solely them then "no" it won't work for them. If players understand that they can run into everyone and anyone and that's ok with them then sure, they work.

The problem is, that groups will be farming these open world dungeons and you will probably never get a chance. Or the Boss spawn will be stolen while you are still trying to kill the ads.
    Most mmo with open world game currently makes no sense, boss spawn is only 1 single mobs, I mean rich people comes out of their house with 16 elite bodyguards, big Bosses should spawn with mini bosses and armies.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Sovrath said:

The problem is, that groups will be farming these open world dungeons and you will probably never get a chance. Or the Boss spawn will be stolen while you are still trying to kill the ads.
    Well, again with the Lineage 2 example, that would prompt some sort of pvp response which would be in line with that game's type of game play.

For PVE? Not sure what the answer is. Open dungeons but with instanced bosses? Make it so that the bosses have a LOT of guards like VegetableOil suggested? This way it's hard to farm them? Not sure.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    AlBQuirky said:

So, then... "Open World Dungeons" is no for you?
    Yes it is.
    Sorry about that. When I read your post the first time, i read it like this.

Thought one: Open world dungeons for me.
    thought two: This is what I like.

So I was confused by the way I read your post :blush:

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Open world dungeon boss camping worst mechanic ever created.
    Steelhelm
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited August 2019
    Seems easy to me:
    1) Live and let DIE (i.e progression isn't based on your capabilities)
    2) To make pt. 1 fun, the player has to have some clue when he/she is doing something dumb/dangeorus.

Other interesting ideas:
    3) Dungeons with endless depth, like a deep forest area, where things are progressively more difficult, and in every case depending on your starting point, suicidal if you run out of luck. No player would be able to defend him-/herself against say 100 OP hostiles entities in a deep forest.

4) Adventure based. No skill treees. Just equipment, skill and knowledge and a little bit of luck.

5) A dynamic world, where monsters and npc's aren't fixed in one "quest location".

6) An environment where every location has a deeper meaning to it, areas to hide, to retreat from, maybe dangerous dead ends or having risky features like balancing off a cliff edge, or on a log across a wild river/chasm.

7) Dynamic weather, similar to pt. 6, offering a more dynamic game environment that might benefit your adventure (like fog to more easily sneak by somebody) or lead to doom (sun and heatstroke, or, dying of hypothermia i the cold winter).

8) Similar to pt. 4 re. adventure, Player driven task. Why go into the woods? You decide! Get wood? Explore? Track somebody? Guard? Assault? Look for random stuff? Try to get rich or die trying?
    Post edited by Gamer54321 on
    SteelhelmAmaranthar
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    edited August 2019
    Lineage 2 did open world dungeons pretty well.  Tower of Insolence and Antharas Liar come to mind.  It was not easy, kept you on your toes and Bosses where on timers.  Sometimes days and weeks.  The game was open world but in a way it could be considered 1 big dungeon because there where so many world bosses scattered throughout and hordes of mobs to fight through.

Eventually multiple guilds formed big alliances, these alliances would have scouts camped or have a prediction on when boss timers would reset, which lead to massive pvp battles to control who would get the kill for a world boss.

Honestly i would be happy with Lineage III game that uses the all the concepts from Lineage 2 with WASD/MOUSE movement, updated graphics engine and a little bit more relaxed xp system. 
  • KingNaidKingNaid Member UncommonPosts: 1,875
    make the dungeons n gameplay soulslike n make most dungeons connected through a vast open subterranean world
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited August 2019
    My experience has been:

1. Whomever tags the mob first
    2. Whomever does the most damage
    3. The way ESO does it.

I don't have a preference. I just adapt to the rules given to us.
    AlBQuirky
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    or make it like gw2 when just hitting the boss enough would give you a reward?, or lets get real here, make it so said boss don't give anything important as gear advancement, make it mats to make vanity clothes or others skins for horse sadle, weapons skin, maybe a item required to a buff of xp/gold for the guild, something who is nice to have, but not requirement for progress

The problem I see is devs love to make this riad as part of the progress, because they know if they don't no one would care in doing so, so if you making people doing something where is the fun?

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Some keypoints would be: Large dungeons and many of them, random spawns (as much as possible) instead of placeholders. Wide range of enemy levels/power so weaker and strong players can interact (I am no fan of forced grouping, but a huge fan of games that provide optional social elements).

Thinking outside the box (and remember anything is possible; just because something has not been done yet or even tried and failed, doesn't mean it is impossible):

Dynamic generated dungeon mechanics, that changes dungeon layouts and their content ... and I mean slowly, like every day some new area opens up and and an old one disappears - It is still the dungeon from yesterday, but maybe quite different from last month.
    It could be like warframe does their generated maps; they piece together chunks in a random manner, and for a long time it does feel like unique maps (1000 hours played obviously break this illusion)... but anyways, make it more advanced and maybe add some extra randomness to the generated. Obviously combine with keypoints mentioned at the top.

You CAN innovate on old concepts and keep the spirit in which it was made .. it is not about nostaligia or whatever the usual narrow minded argumentation gets thrown around.

Amaranthar