Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Singularity 6 Formed By Former Riot Devs, Looks to Create MMO With a

2»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I was thinking a different direction,i thought they wanted to make a game that cared about people helping each other which in itself creates a very good community.
    However this just seems like some fancy marketing and will be more a direction to cash in on the social aspect,in that case,not interested at all in fancy money gimmicks.

You get me on board very simply with great system designs,great depth,complicated systems/combat but not complicated to do.Plausible realism and NEVER a thought of cash shop and never any goofy somersault dodging nonsense.Also i do not want to see any giant yellow markers over npc heads,i want the world to look like a realistic world and not like computer code.

NO automation or pvp either,sad i have to mention so much because devs all over are doing so many bad things with their designs.

No matter,with 16.5 million,not likely they could ever build the type of game i want to play long term unless it started with very small world with loads of depth and then expanded over time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited August 2019
    Myrdynn said:
    Ridelynn said:

Kyleran said:

Hashbrick said:

Perfect setup... all men, 1 woman. I don;t see anything wrong with that at all... Totally not going down the Riot history at all. Everything is all peaches and roses until all of a sudden there is some man splaining and ball slapping going around.

That said, these guys (and 1 girl) don't know what an MMO was if it hit them in the ass. There will be nothing of value here and investor money wasted.

In all fairness, only 18% of female college students are in a technology major,  so hiring more women is challenging.

My employer has been trying very hard to increase the number of female technologists and is up to 30% or so worldwide.

This is true. Last hire I had posted an opening for, I had 150 resumes to sort through. None of the applicants were female. I couldn't even hire diversely if I had needed to.
    lucky you, less chance of sexual harassment charges and discrimination nonsense

Outrage trolling again I see. 
    Guess what? Since no one else is gonna say it, I will.....

No one here cares about your problems!

Stay on topic.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]TacticalZombehvandal5627kenguru23
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    This is like posting news that a student of one of your favorite authors has gotten an advance on a novel in one of your favorite genres, but has just started a very rough draft of the outline.

Yeah...who cares?
  • ShinyFlygonShinyFlygon Member UncommonPosts: 328

Myrdynn said:

Kyleran said:

Hashbrick said:

Perfect setup... all men, 1 woman. I don;t see anything wrong with that at all... Totally not going down the Riot history at all. Everything is all peaches and roses until all of a sudden there is some man splaining and ball slapping going around.

That said, these guys (and 1 girl) don't know what an MMO was if it hit them in the ass. There will be nothing of value here and investor money wasted.

In all fairness, only 18% of female college students are in a technology major,  so hiring more women is challenging.

My employer has been trying very hard to increase the number of female technologists and is up to 30% or so worldwide.

they really shouldn't try to get women into these fields in just cause of numbers, I am so sick of this nonsense.  If the best person for the job is a male then he should get it.  Me personally in my field, have never found a women capable of doing what every single guy I have hired does.  They do other parts of the business better, and would say I haven't found a male capable of doing what they do

At no point did they say their employer was willing to sacrifice quality for the sake of gender. It's just that finding qualified women for the role is difficult because there are fewer women for the role.

But congrats on staying sexist in the face of these constant assaults on your toxic worldview.
    kenguru23NorseGod
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Myrdynn said:
    Kyleran said:
    Hashbrick said:

they really shouldn't try to get women into these fields in just cause of numbers, I am so sick of this nonsense.  If the best person for the job is a male then he should get it.  Me personally in my field, have never found a women capable of doing what every single guy I have hired does.  They do other parts of the business better, and would say I haven't found a male capable of doing what they do

Well, that depends on what you hire them for.

Men are usually stronger so if you are hiring guys who need to carry bricks then sure.

And I think most companies DO want to hire the best person for the job. But if you have two qualified candidates and the company is all guys, or worse "all white guys", then I find the diversity not only to be a breath of fresh air but also allows for more different types of experience and viewpoints.

kenguru23NorseGod
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Kyleran said:
    Hashbrick said:

Oh I know it, it was just a joke because you know, the state of Riot. heh
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited August 2019
    I don't want to know when a company is formed.
    I don't want to know the second a game starts development
    I don't want to know about every millionth dollar that was raised
    I don't want to know when a blade of grass was designed
    I don't want to know what type of coffee the devs drank on Monday
    I don't want to know about Alpha, closed beta, open beta, or early access
    I don't want to know about fans journey to version 2.5413412451451

I want to know about the games existence 3-6 months before it's ready to be released. All the above items are for premature hype. They're also a means to fleece the player base with no completed project.

Enough is enough.
    Phaserlight[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2019
    Typically when i see "former" devs seeking new employment opportunities,it tells me they saw how EASY it was to implement bad games that can still make money.
    So what is Riot known for..yep a VERY cheaply made game that simply banks a load of cash off it's Esport platform.I highly doubt anyone is playing LOL because it is FUN,remove the $$$,the esport and it becomes a ghost town.
    How much would it cost a team to mimic LOL,lol VERY little, a few million tops,so yeah if that is this teams vision to mimic a low budget game but predict a virtual community will be all it takes,then yeah i see the why. Imo,this is not going to amount to great gaming but more of a business gamble on the virtual community idea.
    It sort of reminds me of that marketing we saw during the Vampires masquerade reveal,where we watched some virtual community tech being used but imo had very little of any to do with the actual gaming side of things.

So the very big picture is that SOCIAL makes money,so that is what big business sees is social ideas making money ,not great games.

I personally feel they are ALL wrong,gamer's want only a mild social interaction,they would much prefer a great game to play.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Terc182 said:
    Build a fun game and leave the social engineering to politicians!
    Welcome to the forums! :)
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Tiller said:
    Myrdynn said:
    Ridelynn said:

Kyleran said:

Hashbrick said:

This is true. Last hire I had posted an opening for, I had 150 resumes to sort through. None of the applicants were female. I couldn't even hire diversely if I had needed to.

Stay on topic.
    There is increasing evidence of a reluctance to take on female staff though, even if its a diversity hire, the #metoo thing is a genuine concern that some companies would rather avoid, can't say i blame them either as its becoming something of a minefield, its certainly set back gender equality by quite a bit. :/
    [Deleted User]NorseGod
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    This is like posting news that a student of one of your favorite authors has gotten an advance on a novel in one of your favorite genres, but has just started a very rough draft of the outline.

Yeah...who cares?
    This would actually be news for some series like Game of Thrones or The Dresden Files.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited August 2019
    anemo said:

Yeah...who cares?
    This would actually be news for some series like Game of Thrones or The Dresden Files.
    And there is precedent for it being really good.

Brandon Sanderson is my literary inspiration and all-time favorite author for his incredible Mistborn and Stormlight Archive series. His friend and student, Brian McClellan, went on to write The Powder Mage Trilogy and become another of my favorite authors.
    Post edited by Aeander on
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I am sorry but MMO developers have become total and complete morons. They always talk about community and yet discount the only MMO that ever had community. Everquest was nothing but community and still is 16 years later.  Everquest was designed to create community as a necessity to advancement and it worked. People that were and are part of Everquest became family, and it transitioned into real life. 16 years later my wife and I still have EQ accounts we recently bought the lifetime accounts, we talk to the friends we made in game on the phone daily. We vacation together, have gone to each others weddings, are God parents to each others kids and trade kids for summers. Tragically we have even gone to EQ friends funerals. 

Many of us moved on to other games together and we tried to rebuild the community in other MMO's but none of them were designed for that strong community they were ALL designed for casual group and drop gaming, none embraced the demand for community that Everquest made a necessity for advancement, and as a result NONE have achieved that level of family that Everquest created. 
    Phry said:
    Tiller said:
    Myrdynn said:
    Ridelynn said:

Kyleran said:

Hashbrick said:

Stay on topic.
    There is increasing evidence of a reluctance to take on female staff though, even if its a diversity hire, the #metoo thing is a genuine concern that some companies would rather avoid, can't say i blame them either as its becoming something of a minefield, its certainly set back gender equality by quite a bit. :/
    We live in an age were studies conducted to see if such change has benefits is partisan from the get go. So I could not tell you if say having more women as directors helps a company or not as I don't trust the studies at all.
    edited August 2019
    Nyctelios said:
    Scot said:
    Phry said:
    Tiller said:
    Myrdynn said:
    Ridelynn said:

Kyleran said:

Hashbrick said:

Stay on topic.
    We live in an age were studies conducted to see if such change has benefits is partisan from the get go. So I could not tell you if say having more women as directors helps a company or not as I don't trust the studies at all.
    That's the nature of any counter culture push (lash) in any type of system/field. It's the "spring effect": Without proper care you push something to a point where it pushes back, but it won't stop at the "fair, balanced" state - it will push further than it's resting point. Here on Brazil any given Bachelor degree is forced to put on it's curriculum a fair amount human sciences classes and, on my field, we had a lot of those classes focused on "costumer backlash" and the spring effect as I mentioned above.

It kinda doesn't matter (for the companies and everyone involved) if it works or not. They are just following fashion/trends to avoid being segregated.

Here we still have, openly, mockery about certain genders trying to study/work in certain fields which, more often than it should, leads to violent crimes and "woman go make me a sandwich" is not a joke about a certain behavior, it is a reality (and vice versa for things portrayed as job for woman in which a male would wish to take part). People say, openly, woman shouldn't do things like vote and I'm not talking about some dark corner of some far small town. Our current elected President has some thoughts of his own similar to that. So, certain forced placements can cause shock, which leads to open confront, which breaks the current paradigm. Is it the best way to do things? Nope, it is not. Breaking paradigms is hard. "It's a dirty job but someones gotta do it".
    I can't remember anyone in the UK saying we need more women as directors to prove they can do it, that's a given here. The idea is that boards are somehow better and more effective with more women on them, the reasons for this are to me rather sketchy.

The differance between what is happening in both our countries illustrates another point, how much we need to move to "fairer" society is as long as a piece of string. It never ends, after all there are votes in it and TV news has to put someone on the sofa with the 'cause of the week' or why else would you watch it?