Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is there a EQ2 Classic server, but not a SWG classic server?

13»

Comments

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited August 2019
    Tiller said:
    Sometimes I honestly I think they destroyed the game on purpose just so they could get out of the contract with Lucas Arts, not to impress them with how cool they thought the NGE was. 

I think I remember when it all happened it was Lucas Arts that pushed for the NGE to widen the customer base not SOE.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    SWG is one of my favorite games still to this day, but it has barely any content aside from the social aspects. Pre-cu is just afk macros and unbalanced pvp, NGE is farm heroics, battlegrounds, invasions, and JTL(which has a lot of content if you like to grind). Sounds like a lot but realistically unless you're a space-nut theres a month of stuff to do. Decorating and flirting with dudes playing female ents in eisley cantina isn't content for most folks.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Tiller said:
    Who even owns the rights to SWG anymore? Daybreak? Lucas arts? SOE?
    No one but maybe Disney/ Lucas Film
    Yep.  Lucas decided not to renew the IP license, presumably in order to allow SWTOR to be developed.  The only SW MMORPG you will find that isn't breaking all sorts of laws is SWTOR.

Giving a license to SWG would almost definitely involve revoking the SWTOR license, possibly causing that game to close down.  It would all depend on the exact legal wording of the agreement.

Sad.  I never had a good chance to try SWG, but the nostalgia is great in this game.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Tiller said:
    Yep.  Lucas decided not to renew the IP license, presumably in order to allow SWTOR to be developed.  The only SW MMORPG you will find that isn't breaking all sorts of laws is SWTOR.

Giving a license to SWG would almost definitely involve revoking the SWTOR license, possibly causing that game to close down.  It would all depend on the exact legal wording of the agreement.

Sad.  I never had a good chance to try SWG, but the nostalgia is great in this game.

Dude. SWG has great EMU servers. Do yourself a favor and check them out. Pre-cu is still basilisk I believe and NGE is Legends. Try both, don't let the haters discourage you from NGE. Theres a lot of hate from folks who tried NGE right when it came out and it was a mess.

Legends is based on the final NGE patch which is really solid with the most content. They are also close to launching Bespin, and then Mon Calamar. This server also has the highest active population.

I think Basilisk is working on adding JTL(space) at some point?

Either one will give you instant SW happy smiles as soon as you start playing with all of the accurate sights and sounds. 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited August 2019
    Nebless said:
    Tiller said:
    Sometimes I honestly I think they destroyed the game on purpose just so they could get out of the contract with Lucas Arts, not to impress them with how cool they thought the NGE was. 

I think I remember when it all happened it was Lucas Arts that pushed for the NGE to widen the customer base not SOE.

Mendel said:
    Tiller said:

Old thread, but this is what happened. I leave the rest open to interpretation as to why. I still wonder if it was self sabotage on purpose, because who in their right mind would have made those stupid changes thinking it would impress LEC?

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    Nebless said:
    Tiller said:

Mendel said:
    Tiller said:

Old thread, but this is what happened. I leave the rest open to interpretation as to why. I still wonder if it was self sabotage on purpose, because who in their right mind would have made those stupid changes thinking it would impress LEC?

Not everyone hated the NGE. NGE private servers have much higher populations than pre-cu for a reason.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Utinni said:
    Tiller said:
    Nebless said:
    Tiller said:

Mendel said:
    Tiller said:

Not everyone hated the NGE. NGE private servers have much higher populations than pre-cu for a reason.
    when you are talking about single digit figures, it probably doesn't mean that much however, but you are right, not everyone hated the NGE, just over 90% of the original playerbase at the time, nothing can change the fact that the NGE was responsible for the final demise of the game. :/
    Phry said:
    Utinni said:
    Tiller said:
    Nebless said:
    Tiller said:

Mendel said:
    Tiller said:

when you are talking about single digit figures, it probably doesn't mean that much however, but you are right, not everyone hated the NGE, just over 90% of the original playerbase at the time, nothing can change the fact that the NGE was responsible for the final demise of the game. :/
    The fact that you're saying that "single digit figures" liked NGE shows the ignorance of people who push this agenda. Thousands play NGE daily. I just don't understand this fallacy that NGE is why SWG was shut down. The game as a whole was never very popular and it was using one of the most expensive licenses in the history of the world. It was never going to last. It was losing subscriptions far before NGE because the content was basically just RP. It's one of my favorite games of all time but It never had any mass market appeal.

Basilisk is a great server! You can go play the game you're complaining doesn't exist!
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    JasPlun said:
    I wonder why SOE will not open a classic server for SWG with all the posts about pre-cu and cu versions of the game there is a huge following of players who like these versions of the game, but hate the NGE, So why is it so hard for them to do this to make people happy? They did it for EQ2.
    Short answer, licensing and legalities. 
    Sony owns EQ & EQ2 all the way through, so they can do whatever they want with them.
    SWG doesn't have a valid license anymore, so they can't even do SWG now. 

There are fan servers out there that usually run on the pre-combat mod (or whatever they called it), but those aren't exactly legal. Lawyers go and crush them on occasion, so the ones I knew about several years ago might not be there now, but the fanbase is pretty active, so I'm sure there will always be a few around.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    pre CU would never be succesful anymore. It is incredibly dated, has no JTL and misses most of the (crafting) content . The only thing going for it is that it is skill based. But everyone and their aunt would be running around in composite armor and ironically look like clones from the clone wars.

Even last patch NGE would be niche by now I suspect. But this might still be viable. Simply because there is no MMO with SWG's features out there.

Not that EA or Disney would allow this. Both these companies don't care about what fans of their ip's want.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Utinni said:
    Phry said:
    Utinni said:
    Tiller said:
    Nebless said:
    Tiller said:

Mendel said:
    Tiller said:

The fact that you're saying that "single digit figures" liked NGE shows the ignorance of people who push this agenda. Thousands play NGE daily. I just don't understand this fallacy that NGE is why SWG was shut down. The game as a whole was never very popular and it was using one of the most expensive licenses in the history of the world. It was never going to last. It was losing subscriptions far before NGE because the content was basically just RP. It's one of my favorite games of all time but It never had any mass market appeal.

Basilisk is a great server! You can go play the game you're complaining doesn't exist!
    At the time when SWG was 'live' Pre-CU it had a couple of hundred thousand subs, which at the time was a respectable number, the advent of WoW however, exploded the MMO genre and changed the dynamic, SOE tried to cash in on this by changing the game to make it a themepark game instead of a sandbox one, they failed spectacularly, first with the CU and then with the NGE which was almost universally despised by what remained of the playerbase after the CU.
    I was there from SWG's stage 3 beta, through to its final end, and a more pitiful demise i cannot imagine, when the licence expired it was more of a mercy killing.
    Its why SWG is a cautionary tale when it comes to the consequences of radically changing a game after launch, the only game i know of that succeeded in that respect was Final Fantasy XIV, from 1.0 to ARR. :/
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    NGE was not the reason why SWG was shut down. SWG NGE was financially viable right until the shut down announcement.  SOE back then also clearly stated that finances was not the reason to shut down SWG back then. They were also still developing until right at the end. Early NGE is also very different from late NGE. Many preCU players came back to SWG later on in NGE (me included).

The shutdown had to do with the loss of the SW license for Sony. They were not planning to buy the license again. The SW license went to EA, that then also released SWTOR. SOE was very small compared to EA and would never be able to outbid them for the license.

Late NGE SWG already made preCU SWG feel very outdated because preCU had barely any content. There wasn't even JTL. This is why a preCU SWG revamp would never work. At most a NGE SWG could work. But even then, SWG looks too dated by now to ever attract high enough numbers for a revamp.
  • ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    I see the discussions are still alive lol.