Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oculus Quest Review: VR for the Everyman - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageOculus Quest Review: VR for the Everyman - MMORPG.com

Virtual reality is amazing but there’s no escaping the cost. PC-based VR is expensive, requiring not just the headset and tracking kit but also a PC powerful enough to run it all. Oculus has an answer: the Quest is poised to change the game on consumer VR and if you’ve been on the fence, now is the time to hop down. This is our review of the Oculus Quest.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited August 2019

So its some sort of android based system or is it propitiatory OS running?

Either way wouldnt it make sense to allow some sort of game streaming/sharing like the nvidia shield either with a wireless dongle attached to the PC or a cable or a cloud based service

If this isnt the case i wouldnt get it because it would have to limited a library!
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    buying into something part of the zuckerberg-creatures empire?, nah, I don't think so.
    PhaserlightPhry
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Cool a new VR headset that can support an anemic games library.
    Phaserlight
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    $400 VR for the "everyman"? Is this a joke?
    Phry
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    edited August 2019
    Some of these comments are ridiculous. The $400 price range is within reach of anyone who buys a console, which is the majority of gamers. Personally, I have an Oculus Rift S because I'm a graphics whore and can't settle for any sacrifices, and the games on the Oculus Rift S are on average just better...not to mention it has google earth VR which I love and I have a powerful 1080ti which handles everything with ease..

As far as Facebook, I'm not a fan of Zuckerberg either, but you are only hurting yourselves by not trying something for political reasons that is an amazing one of a kind experience. VR done correctly is amazing. Everyone that tries the headset is also amazed. The Quest is a fantastic experience (I've tried it multiple times).

I really can't wait though for Gen 2, but for now the Oculus Rift S or the Quest depending on what pros and cons are important to you are terrific. EDIT: Off topic, I haven't touched my headset in over a week because I'm addicted to Divinity Original Sin 2 on a widescreen monitor lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Viper482 said:
    If you are willing to sacrifice 3 degrees of freedom (and get access to a library 10x the size of Quest) you can buy a Go for $200.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Have they fixed the I want to throw up on my shoes problem with VR?
    cheyane
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Viper482 said:
    If you are willing to sacrifice 3 degrees of freedom (and get access to a library 10x the size of Quest) you can buy a Go for $200.
    I was wondering about the Quest library, can you not hook up the device to your PC and download/buy any VR game and then detach it again? Or does it have its own “special” library? The last would be a huge no go. I also checked out the Go, nice piece of hardware but definitely too limited. Unfortunately the Quest is priced 449 euro’s over here instead of 399 dollars, thats about a 100 dollars difference...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited August 2019

Viper482 said:

exactly my thought... what exactly is the everyone part here? same price as before.
    if they want more people to buy em. drop the prices.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    goboygo said:
    Have they fixed the I want to throw up on my shoes problem with VR?
    Have to ask about this too. I cannot use it. Tried in the shop and wanted to puke.
    Chamber of Chains
  • roberthassanroberthassan Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Virtual reality is a fake domain that is made with programming and displayed to the client so that the client suspends conviction and acknowledges it as a genuine situation. On a PC, the computer-generated reality is essentially experienced through two of the five detects sight and blackmart sound.

The most straightforward type of augmented reality is a 3-D picture that can be investigated intuitively at a PC, for the most part by controlling keys or the mouse with the goal that the substance of the picture moves toward some path or zooms in or out.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    It will take significant advancement in the tech for VR to become mainstream, Quest isn't it, not even close, its too expensive and its too primitive.
    saker
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I went 1,200 for my PC.. 400 is not that much all things said and done..

Anyway.. so.. if I buy this.. what are the games that work with it?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:

Here you go.  It's all the games this guy thinks are "OK!" :neutral:

lahnmir said:
    Viper482 said:
    I was wondering about the Quest library, can you not hook up the device to your PC and download/buy any VR game and then detach it again? Or does it have its own “special” library? The last would be a huge no go. I also checked out the Go, nice piece of hardware but definitely too limited. Unfortunately the Quest is priced 449 euro’s over here instead of 399 dollars, thats about a 100 dollars difference...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    My impression is that it's a "walled garden" approach: much more so than Go; that's the biggest thing keeping me from buying one right now.  I've seen people have success in side loading apps that aren't part of the 'official list', but I'm not really interested in doing that song and dance; side loading isn't the same as official support.
    Ungoodlahnmir

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    - waiting to see the zuckerberg-creature try and force all purchases to be through his zucker-bucks. As bad as things already are with these too-big-to-fail monopoly companies, sure lets give them their own currencies too - what could possibly go wrong? They've already "proven" their "trustworthiness" and "security" right?
    Phaserlight
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Wake me up when ONE good VR game arrives to warrant spending way too much on a VR headset.

Just watched a new game  "Time Stall" yep nothing has changed,devs still making crappy games for VR.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Wake me up when ONE good VR game arrives to warrant spending way too much on a VR headset.

Just watched a new game  "Time Stall" yep nothing has changed,devs still making crappy games for VR.
    Minecraft
    Vendetta Online VR
    Dreadhalls
    Bomb Squad
    Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
    JUMP
    Bait!
    Land's End
    Dead Secret
    Esper 2

...all of the above are pretty great, IMO.  VR as a medium is a fairly huge step forward.  I've used both 6dof (Vive) and 3dof (GearVR) and honestly the translational degrees of freedom thing isn't as big a deal as the internet at large has made it seem.

The stereoscopic POV is a game changer.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Ungood said:

Let me guess.. Fruit Ninja is the epic shits?
    Phaserlight
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ungood said:

lahnmir said:
    Viper482 said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    My impression is that it's a "walled garden" approach: much more so than Go; that's the biggest thing keeping me from buying one right now.  I've seen people have success in side loading apps that aren't part of the 'official list', but I'm not really interested in doing that song and dance; side loading isn't the same as official support.
    Seems like you are right, hard pass it is. Too bad, when/if I buy a VR set it will definitely be a wireless one without sensors and although 399 is a lot of money its reasonably fair when compared to other sets. A shame really.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SkaioverrideSkaioverride Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited August 2019

So its some sort of android based system or is it propitiatory OS running?

Either way wouldnt it make sense to allow some sort of game streaming/sharing like the nvidia shield either with a wireless dongle attached to the PC or a cable or a cloud based service

If this isnt the case i wouldnt get it because it would have to limited a library!

Android based, you can sideload any app you want and yes, you can stream with VRidge, so with a bit of modding it works with all steam games too.