Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Streamers Don't Seem To Be Welcome On WoW Classic's PvP Servers - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I get the motivation behind what they want to accomplish with this but honestly, it wont work. Essentially, they want servers to be stable from the start without the streamer influx/drop-off that is inevitable. However, this will only have the opposite effect in the end which will make a lot of these streamers want to play more instead of shifting to something else. Streaming is always about chasing what is hot, not really about fun (only a very small margin actually stream because they like what they are streaming). Pretty much saying that you're against any streamer on a pvp server just makes content for them, which makes them more money. People should just be patient and let the drop-off occur naturally.
    AriesTigerBaalzharon
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Albatroes said:
    I get the motivation behind what they want to accomplish with this but honestly, it wont work. Essentially, they want servers to be stable from the start without the streamer influx/drop-off that is inevitable. However, this will only have the opposite effect in the end which will make a lot of these streamers want to play more instead of shifting to something else. Streaming is always about chasing what is hot, not really about fun (only a very small margin actually stream because they like what they are streaming). Pretty much saying that you're against any streamer on a pvp server just makes content for them, which makes them more money. People should just be patient and let the drop-off occur naturally.
    Well damn Albatroes. I'm generally against your leftist-leaning philosophies but that was right on the money lol.
  • der_bayer36der_bayer36 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited August 2019
    No wonder why di that. The PvP exprience was a total unbalanced mess back in vanilla.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited August 2019
    So essentially Streamers doing something as noncompetitive and tactically unsound as continuously broadcasting their location and bragging about it.   Normally expect special protection for doing it as well.

Takes a special person to think that their mistakes should be "fixed" for them, along with them not needing to learn from their tactically unsound mistakes.

Watching how Streamers treated Worlds Adrift also irked me against them, especially in OW PvP games.   A streamers ended up with extended support from the devs, with things like ship material refunds/similar.   And there were occasional calls from them to enforce Twitch's ToS on the WA with bans and punishments for stream sniping.    Likewise the Streaming community tended to be the largest exploiters of item duplication bugs, and had lots of fun making sure that their fans knew what the bugs were as a "keep watching or subscribe to Patreon, and we'll show you" type mechanic.  Likewise they continuously set themselves up for being "drama ready", mostly just to keep themselves in the spotlight.

The funny thing is they ended up claiming BS like "We made the game", in the sense that they were the only reason there were players around in the game (not programming or similar, just that they claimed they only reason the game came to anything before flopping).

I'm not surprised at all that people would be annoyed enough by Streamer's overly melodramatic drama.   And their incentives to maximize drama like some kind of Wrestling Star. 

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ShinyFlygonShinyFlygon Member UncommonPosts: 297

Linif said:

Well they're not wrong. It does seem overly petty though, is it because they don't want streamers to pull away from the power of these "... 4 well-known hardcore Pserver guilds..." or is it because streamers genuinely disrupt the PvP scene with their bids for attention? I'm not a hardcore (Or even softcore) PvP'r so I honestly couldn't begin to say. Can anyone shed some light on that?

The presence of a streamer with a lot of followers can be extremely disruptive to any MMO. They can bring swarms of their minions to occupy certain areas and spawns, deplete resources, and just generally grief anyone who's just trying to play the game. Even if the streamer doesn't direct their followers to wreak havoc, they can easily decide to do so on their own.

The Blacklist may be against the TOS, but if Blizzard doesn't find a way to police disruptive streamer activity, there will be two outcomes: 1) a lot of bad press, and 2) players finding creative ways to police it themselves.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    meh troll post there is no way a program could do that without blizzard access to in game server side files, and not everyone would use such prgram too
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ShinyFlygonShinyFlygon Member UncommonPosts: 297

Torval said:

Oh and hating people because they like to stream their game play is just freaking childish. I don't like how "content creator" culture has influenced gaming but let's keep it in perspective. Hating people and bullying them is wrong. Gaming is about having fun and MMOs are about having fun with a lot of other people. Bully gangs don't belong.

You seem to be confused, strange old man who makes "Happy Days" references in 2019.

What these guilds are doing is a response to disruption and bullying on the part of streamers, as shown by their behavior in the past. If a streamer can find a way to play (and even stream) without causing problems, then it sounds like the guilds will leave them alone. In the words of a venerable sage from a different Blizzard game, "Don't start none, won't be none."
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    edited August 2019
    meh troll post there is no way a program could do that without blizzard access to in game server side files, and not everyone would use such prgram too
    There have always been blacklist addons/mods for the game. The idea is those that want to prohibit the other gamers get the addon/mod and it provides a master blacklist of server/name and filters them out of your chat and group functions.

The more people that use said addon the more power it has.

And generally the mod/addon is done 100% through the game and no additional website to verify check or anything against. Each new update provides additional names to the list.

EDIT: This falls under the "community white hat" approach where gamers try to police when the mods/admins can't or aren't willing to.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    And here I thought retro games would have a retro community but no, it's the same stupids that are in every 2019 online game.

More proof that them good ole days just ain't never coming back.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    I just made sure to make my character away from them if i can, their own communities have admitted on Reddit and the Forums that their presences will destabilize a server. If the streamer goes Ally then Horde is going to have some issues, and vice versa, especially on a PVP realm. Not saying Streamers dont have the right to stream and play where they want, but I also have to right to try and avoid them at all cost. Not with an add on like this its kinda overkill but I wont play on their servers and if they come to mine...I will just quit.
    If the streamer goes Ally then Horde is going to have some issues, and vice versa, especially on a PVP realm. 
    You can only have characters of one of the two sides in PvP servers. You can't mix it.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• velimiriusvelimirius Member UncommonPosts: 134
    streamers and their edgy bunch of toxic kids who would sell their mothers for streamers attention.
    HatefullanemoBruceYee
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    (After reading all the comments here.)

PLUS, they are streamers. They are the "highlights" of the next generations. Yuck. I mean that quite literally. They are the poster-childs of the next generations.

You see where I'm going with this? Lol.
    Take your political/social shit to twitter, where others will give you the attention you crave, not here.
    Iselinjimmywolf[Deleted User]Panther2103
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Iselin said:
    And here I thought retro games would have a retro community but no, it's the same stupids that are in every 2019 online game.

hmmm depends.

I think the thing here is that it's the pvp crowd that's inhabiting the game and they want fresh pvp experiences.

Very competitive and perhaps aggressive. 
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    This makes no sense. Streamers already picked their server and all the folks who want to avoid them did. This article is like a week late.
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

hmmm depends.

I think the thing here is that it's the pvp crowd that's inhabiting the game and they want fresh pvp experiences.

That totally supports his point from my perspective.
    I think a soley pve server might have better luck. I realize there are asshats in pve as well but it seems that there is an agressive pvp contingent who might be more interested in "open world pvp" than "oh look, it's classic World of Warcraft."

So, if Pantheon had open world pvp I am thinking the same issues would ensue but a complete pve experience, especially for a slower type game, might be a bit better.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

hmmm depends.

I think a soley pve server might have better luck. I realize there are asshats in pve as well but it seems that there is an agressive pvp contingent who might be more interested in "open world pvp" than "oh look, it's classic World of Warcraft."

So, if Pantheon had open world pvp I am thinking the same issues would ensue but a complete pve experience, especially for a slower type game, might be a bit better.
    We shall see.

I'm currently leaning toward playing Classic and if I do it'll be on the one and only NA RP-PvE server, Bloodsail Buccaneers.

Once upon a time going for the RP server even though I'm not much of an RPer, pretty well guaranteed a better community. Curious to see if this still holds true. 
    [Deleted User]SovrathPhry

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

hmmm depends.

I agree with what you're saying. I also think this modern pvp community is a lot different from 12 - 15 years ago which is what I hear Iselin saying.

One thing that seems odd to me is that this sort of gating reminds me a lot more of PvE EQ2 servers "back then". Raid guilds controlled who could farm what. It didn't matter that the content was instanced because only a set number of guilds could reliably farm them and they gated who got access and in what order. That mindset heavily contributed to the demise of servers and MMOs in general. It also makes me wonder what these people will do when they find out they can't control a server.
    Yeah, I agree with Iselin in that today's pvp community is different. 
    [Deleted User]

• yphanh2002yphanh2002 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I don't have problem with streamers but I have problem with what they bring and their influence power.

One of thing happen to me is that: Back then I played Bless ( yes I know the game is bad but let's ignore that fact for a sack of example) . Some certain streamers decide toe stream/test out the game. Due to how the game faction work, one of the faction got locked out completely because the streamer join that faction. ( Too many players made characters on that faction)

One week later, the streamer quit the game . Anyone happen to play/have character of the streamer faction still play the game, you are shit out of luck because now that faction is death as fuck. It's really hard for you to find any players in your faction anymore to do anything (special pvp related).

That entire server basically ruin because if you are on the same streamer faction, you can't queue for anything ( there isn't many players in your faction anymore). If you are opposite faction of the streamer you can't queue for "battle ground" as well because don't have enough players of the opposite faction.
    [Deleted User]Caffynated
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Those filthy, filthy streamers. And the worst part, they could be anybody, your neighbour, a friend, a family member, you just don’t know what is going on behind closed doors. There actually is a chance you might know one in real life without even realising.....

And since we can’t brand them to distinguish them from honest citizens we just have to be very, very careful. Therefor I strongly recommend reporting to the local authority as soon as you think something suspicious is going on, better save then sorry right? #Streamtoo

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    BaalzharonanemoPhrySovrathTacticalZombeh
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    edited August 2019
  • Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298

Sandmanjw said:

Sounds like BS to me.

Doubt something like this would be allowed by WOW.

Its not anything sanctioned, its just a bunch of no lifers trying to force people to do what they want. If you care what a streamer is or isnt doing then thats your issue.
    BaalzharonCaffynated
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    The only thing dumber than streaming a game is sitting around watching some tool stream a game.
    BaalzharonAriesTiger

Torval said:

Uh-oh killer man-baby clowns are gonna mess up the streamers. Ooooh. They sound like Fonze threatening Ralph and Potsie. This picture comes to mind.

I wait can't wait to see the results on youtube.

edit: Oh and hating people because they like to stream their game play is just freaking childish. I don't like how "content creator" culture has influenced gaming but let's keep it in perspective. Hating people and bullying them is wrong. Gaming is about having fun and MMOs are about having fun with a lot of other people. Bully gangs don't belong.

Please. It's called natural selection. If you don't like something, you fight or flight. The real problem is the world is full of sissies these days.
    BaalzharonSensaiAriesTiger
    edited August 2019