Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pearl Abyss – Black Desert studio announced massive financial results and updates on new games

13»

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Dragnelus said:
    I just watched that episode today. Pretty strong anime. Vinland Saga is shaping up real nice too.
    What show is that? 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Nyctelios said:
    Kyleran said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Sure, F2P games are FREE! People who claim that nonsense don't know how good they had it with monthly subscriptions. There's less than 1% of F2P players, especially in BDO, who spend less than $15 a month on that game.
    Thats not even close to true...They've done research on this many times...it's a handful of players that spend the majority of the money...I only played BDO 1-2 months but never spent more than the $4.99 purchase price.
    Please link the published statistics on how many players spend money on BDO and the per capita spend.

I find most claims like yours are based on a single survey or two done on some obscure F2P title that never hit it big anywhere outside of Asia. 

My guess is games like Fortnite, Path of Exile and BDO have much higher percentage of their customers spending cash on their games.

Even I spend money in POE as you really have to unless one is willing to be an inventory cripple and doesn't mind looking like a total murder hobo. 

Looking at almost every player in the towns its pretty clear they've all spent some money from their attire, I'd say upwards of 80% to 90%.

That's what made me stop playing BDO altogether, actually. If the whales were a low cut of the playerbase it wouldn't set a standard so high in spendings to keep up with guilds in the PvP.

Since gear progression is highly p2w, tied to both cash shop and ingame earnings (which can be boosted by purchasing certains cash shop items) you just can't compete with people who has both time and money to spend.
    Both correct. Having been in a large guild since close to launch, I can definitely confirm that most guildies have spent money beyond the initial purchase of the game. As well as most of the friends I know from other guilds.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DhahranGirlDhahranGirl Newbie CommonPosts: 22
    I hope so.  I've been waiting for awhile!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,678
    Nyctelios said:
    Kyleran said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Sure, F2P games are FREE! People who claim that nonsense don't know how good they had it with monthly subscriptions. There's less than 1% of F2P players, especially in BDO, who spend less than $15 a month on that game.
    Thats not even close to true...They've done research on this many times...it's a handful of players that spend the majority of the money...I only played BDO 1-2 months but never spent more than the $4.99 purchase price.
    Please link the published statistics on how many players spend money on BDO and the per capita spend.

I find most claims like yours are based on a single survey or two done on some obscure F2P title that never hit it big anywhere outside of Asia. 

My guess is games like Fortnite, Path of Exile and BDO have much higher percentage of their customers spending cash on their games.

Even I spend money in POE as you really have to unless one is willing to be an inventory cripple and doesn't mind looking like a total murder hobo. 

Looking at almost every player in the towns its pretty clear they've all spent some money from their attire, I'd say upwards of 80% to 90%.

That's what made me stop playing BDO altogether, actually. If the whales were a low cut of the playerbase it wouldn't set a standard so high in spendings to keep up with guilds in the PvP.

Since gear progression is highly p2w, tied to both cash shop and ingame earnings (which can be boosted by purchasing certains cash shop items) you just can't compete with people who has both time and money to spend.
    Here's a great article from an editor over at MassivelyOP on the "joys" of trying to enchant gear in BDO.  He recently spent $60 in cash shop items and blew tons of acquired resources only to fail after an hour and a half of painful effort.

Yeah, can't see how having a system like this in any game can be considered a positive,  nor how one can respect a developer who puts a system like this in their games. (Well, except in sort of a props to an evil genius sort of way)

https://massivelyop.com/2019/08/14/desert-oasis-the-sad-saga-of-enchanting-in-black-desert-online/
    GdemamiAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Dragnelus said:
    I just watched that episode today. Pretty strong anime. Vinland Saga is shaping up real nice too.
    What show is that? 

I already told you. :/