Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you like open world PvP ?

124»

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yes

There has to be reasons/incentives and there has to risk/punishment. If these things aren’t there. I won’t play it even if there is Wpvp
    Steelhelm
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Hate open world PVP. I avoid these games like the plague. Last one I tried was Age of Wushu. I had fun for a while then was repeatedly killed by Goon Squad Guild by a bunch of there players. 3-4 of them came apon me when I was harvesting some crafting stuff. They taught me why I had avoided open world PVP games. I thank them for reminding me of this lesson I had learned years before today.
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    edited August 2019
    Yes when the pvp is done correctly so that massive zergs don't exist, and it has to have full loot. When full loot is done properly it has no effect on any ones game cept to make yer life a little easier when you win, maybe some extra coin if you are rly good. 
    Steelhelm
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Sal1 said:
    Hate open world PVP. I avoid these games like the plague. Last one I tried was Age of Wushu. I had fun for a while then was repeatedly killed by Goon Squad Guild by a bunch of there players. 3-4 of them came apon me when I was harvesting some crafting stuff. They taught me why I had avoided open world PVP games. I thank them for reminding me of this lesson I had learned years before today.
    Hemlock wasn’t around... right? I was in shinobi we had an alliance with goons. 

The thing about bout Wushu was if they some one did kill you, you could not be camped. Those who killed you could the be arrested by bounty hunters. 

I will to bet bet you were part of an opposing alliance. What guild where you in? 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

There's a reason some MMO's have had partial or full looting in open world PvP, or have few safe areas if at all. This isn't because only game makers want it. Some players want a riskier environment with more consequences. That's how it expressed itself. If may be true some ffa PvP MMO's won't have full looting, or will have abundant safe areas, but they'll make up for the shortall in other areas, unless they're trying to appeal to a more mainstream audience.

I think a lot of game makers are looking at "risk/reward" the wrong way.

Why does risk has to be so much about "rewarding the looters"? Risk should be more about "punishing the lawbreakers", like how real systems work.

Open world pvp should attraction reputation rewards that gives you access to certain things/faction but at the same time can cause you to be outcasts in towns or put on hunted status.

I don't see why looting other people's possession should be the reward - it is a terrible system because we live in a possession-centric society and this discourages people from playing. Also it discourages progress - if you can take, why would you make?

Reputation based reward would've been much more palatable.
    KyleranPhry
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    There has to be laws in place other wise its Kill on Sight like in Rust, which kills all the PvE aspect and pretty much makes the game into a Fortnight
    Steelhelm

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited August 2019
    Depends.

WoW style faction based world pvp = sucks.
    Lineage style world pvp = great.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited August 2019
    I don't like it with power gaps. Why have competitive PvP that is not competitive?
    MMO is not about competitive pvp, is about your guild members helping each other in order to overcome an enemy guild in power and world domination. If your guild can't compete, try to stay away from wars as much as you can until your members get powerful enough, try farming in groups in less demanded spots and hunt less wanted world bosses in order to avoid facing potential controntation against enemy groups on the spot.

At least it is how guild wars/world pvp in Lineage works.

Play battle royale if only you want 100% equal, skill based pvp in an even environment. It is the right genre for you.
    Post edited by Kabulozo on
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Archeage is as close as a game I've played has got to proper OWPVP and even that was pretty flawed.

I still loved it. All the best fun I had, dealt more with the PVP aspects; not Serpentis, The Library, or any of the dungeons. Second to the PVP experience was the early gathering and crafting.
    I really hope they can fix AA into something playable. I can't put my finger on it but that game is pretty damn sweet. But there's just a host/hill of issues and I can't pinpoint it to any single one as to why I left. :/
    alkarionlog
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Archeage is as close as a game I've played has got to proper OWPVP and even that was pretty flawed.

I still loved it. All the best fun I had, dealt more with the PVP aspects; not Serpentis, The Library, or any of the dungeons. Second to the PVP experience was the early gathering and crafting.
    I really hope they can fix AA into something playable. I can't put my finger on it but that game is pretty damn sweet. But there's just a host/hill of issues and I can't pinpoint it to any single one as to why I left. :/
    impossible to fix something, who is not broken by dev work, they made a good game in a bad one there is no way to fix it anymore, they wanted the game to be what it is today, best choice is abandon then and let then lose money
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Yes.  It creates a sense of realism and excitement knowing I am not "magically safe" (unless by my own costly incantations); the rules of any such digital world are consistent throughout.

There also ought to be graded levels of protection from NPCs and consequences across the map, with some areas being relatively lawless compared to others.  A city should have stricter rules and higher protection than the countryside.  No deus ex machina, though: Rome may burn if enough Vandals mass at the gates.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• DhahranGirlDhahranGirl Newbie CommonPosts: 22
    Personally, I prefer open pVp.  It definitely adds value to the MMORPG that I am playing.