Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Singularity 6 Formed By Former Riot Devs, Looks to Create MMO With a

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageSingularity 6 Formed By Former Riot Devs, Looks to Create MMO With a

In a report from Variety, it looks like Singularity 6, a start-up by former Riot Games developers, has secured $16.5 million in Series-A financing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    tldr, they want to make mmo fantasy setting. the end.
  • TehaniTehani Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Good luck with the new project Singularity 6

I like the ethos so I am looking forward to see what the future holds, keep up the good work :)
    Vezlinmetarealinfomatz
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Just leave out the yordles and don't make anything else like them.
    [Deleted User]HatefullAzaron_Nightbladegastovski1SpottyGekkoAriesTigerinfomatz
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    A virtual community?  As opposed to an actual community?

...or is this a virtual reality thing?
    HatefullKyleranPhry

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Interesting news, lets hope we get a good MMO out of it.
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    "mmo with a virtual community" ??
    this statement itself means they don't understand what an MMO is
    Gdemamipsiic
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Nice article. Good luck to this new game. I will continue to wish them well until they try to sell me a +5 Friendship Bracelet in some cash shop.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MD24MD24 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Not sure the 'Virtual community' is a good idea, many mmorpg games regardless old or new, people in games are getting more and more toxic, it reflects the tension between people in real world. The world has changed in the past two decades, the good old game community no longer exists.
    Amathe
  • GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180

They will think about an MMO that will turn into a battle Royale.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    MD24 said:
    Not sure the 'Virtual community' is a good idea, many mmorpg games regardless old or new, people in games are getting more and more toxic, it reflects the tension between people in real world. The world has changed in the past two decades, the good old game community no longer exists.
    I think people have been toxic for a long time. They just have a better platform they can use to express it.

When something like "the internet" or "online games" becomes more mainstream you get the rest of the people who are the toxic, unhappy mass you refer to.

Early games people who were the early adopters, the geeks, those who found it novel to interact with others in a way that they could only dream of sitting around their tables with their dice.

Now you get the joe schmos who can boot up a game without much thought and just inflict themselves on everyone because they find it fun.
    HatefullAzaron_NightbladePhaserlightGroqstrongKyleranSpottyGekkocolera1333supx2infomatzTacticalZombehand 1 other.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Sovrath said:

MD24 said:

I think people have been toxic for a long time. They just have a better platform they can use to express it.

When something like "the internet" or "online games" becomes more mainstream you get the rest of the people who are the toxic, unhappy mass you refer to.

Early games people who were the early adopters, the geeks, those who found it novel to interact with others in a way that they could only dream of sitting around their tables with their dice.

Now you get the joe schmos who can boot up a game without much thought and just inflict themselves on everyone because they find it fun.

Without fear, in most cases, of any type of accountability.
    Azaron_Nightbladesupx2infomatzTacticalZombehSovrath

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Greatness said:

They will think about an MMO that will turn into a battle Royale.

As long as there is PvP players will be able to handle it.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Shrug - LoL is a good game for being free. If they focus on making quality content and not the SWJ/snowflake crap they mentioned above, it will be a good game.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    A nice initiative.
    They're right that we could do with a more social game where everything isn't about PvP or having better gear than the player next to you.

I'm curious to see what'll come of it, since I like most of the games they've mentioned as strong influences.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    edited August 2019

MD24 said:

I have to disagree. Some games or even in different servers of a game you can have a great community. I have had a real positive community experience with GW2 compared with Bless omg it was terrible.

Look to this site as an example, we have many debates and opinions and even we are pretty passionate at times but we pretty much keep it cordial.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited August 2019
    So, formed in 2018, just secured solid funding, we should see something released in say....6 to 8 years?
    [Deleted User]infomatz

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Perfect setup... all men, 1 woman. I don;t see anything wrong with that at all... Totally not going down the Riot history at all. Everything is all peaches and roses until all of a sudden there is some man splaining and ball slapping going around.

That said, these guys (and 1 girl) don't know what an MMO was if it hit them in the ass. There will be nothing of value here and investor money wasted.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    So virtual NPC players in the guise of an MMO, like Animal crossing where you form friendships with NPC AI because real people suck?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited August 2019
    Hashbrick said:
    Perfect setup... all men, 1 woman. I don;t see anything wrong with that at all... Totally not going down the Riot history at all. Everything is all peaches and roses until all of a sudden there is some man splaining and ball slapping going around.

That said, these guys (and 1 girl) don't know what an MMO was if it hit them in the ass. There will be nothing of value here and investor money wasted.
    In all fairness, only 18% of female college students are in a technology major,  so hiring more women is challenging.

My employer has been trying very hard to increase the number of female technologists and is up to 30% or so worldwide.

infomatzPhry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    call me in 5 years
    Kyleran said:
    Hashbrick said:

In all fairness, only 18% of female college students are in a technology major,  so hiring more women is challenging.

My employer has been trying very hard to increase the number of female technologists and is up to 30% or so worldwide.

they really shouldn't try to get women into these fields in just cause of numbers, I am so sick of this nonsense.  If the best person for the job is a male then he should get it.  Me personally in my field, have never found a women capable of doing what every single guy I have hired does.  They do other parts of the business better, and would say I haven't found a male capable of doing what they do

Warlyxesc-joconnorvandal5627PhryNorseGod
  • zonechaoszonechaos Member UncommonPosts: 2

DMKano said:

You know how you build a virtual community?

Build a solid game that is deep and has solid gameplay and virtual community will follow.

Examples SWG, UO, AC... and other gen1 games where the depth of gameplay was the main feature.

Those games have actual communities...
  • Terc182Terc182 Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    Build a fun game and leave the social engineering to politicians!
    NorseGod
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Kyleran said:

Hashbrick said:

This is true. Last hire I had posted an opening for, I had 150 resumes to sort through. None of the applicants were female. I couldn't even hire diversely if I had needed to.
    Ridelynn said:

Kyleran said:

Hashbrick said:

This is true. Last hire I had posted an opening for, I had 150 resumes to sort through. None of the applicants were female. I couldn't even hire diversely if I had needed to.
    lucky you, less chance of sexual harassment charges and discrimination nonsense
    Kyleranvandal5627PhryNorseGod