Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stellaris Hitting Consoles Today - MMORPG.com News

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageStellaris Hitting Consoles Today - MMORPG.com News

Stellaris is hitting PS4 and Xbox One today, according to a press release.

Read the full story here

Comments

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    I wonder... will the console version use only one core forcing players to create small and tiny galaxies to avoid the slow-mo gameplay of end-game, like it is for PC? How do consoles even work?
  • venatisvenatis Member UncommonPosts: 42
    This has been on console since Feb
  • CyberNigmaCyberNigma Member UncommonPosts: 29
    The article was incorrect here (title). The expansion Utopia released on consoles today.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/08/13/stellaris-console-edition-gets-first-major-expansion-utopia-today/
    ShadowStyleBLeFantome
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    If you like this sort of game, why haven't you got a PC where they flourish?
    OzmodanBaalzharon
  • AngryElfAngryElf Member UncommonPosts: 194

Scot said:

End game lag blows on PC. If they don't have the same issue with console, that's more than enough reason to buy console version.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    I think its really cool that consoles are picking up more 4x and rts games. I do wish the console folks, and game developers, would make m/kb more of a thing for consoles. People should always be able to choose their preferred input device, imo.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Palebane said:
    I think its really cool that consoles are picking up more 4x and rts games. I do wish the console folks, and game developers, would make m/kb more of a thing for consoles. People should always be able to choose their preferred input device, imo.
    It's becoming more and more common for games to support KB/M on console, but I agree I wish it was supported all around. I haven't really tested it out on Xbox One, but I do know I've played 5 or 6 games on the PS4 that had native support for KB/M.  I think the only real reason for it to not be supported is in competitive FPS games, as not everyone would be on a level playing field. 
  • Shanky_ShankyShanky_Shanky Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Not sure if console players will be into that type of games - as mentioned before it works way better for PC setup. *trying not to sound like a grumpy grandpa*
    AngryElf said:

Scot said:

End game lag blows on PC. If they don't have the same issue with console, that's more than enough reason to buy console version.
    I seriously doubt consoles do anything faster than the PC, maybe if it was a bad port or the console version has really downgraded graphics, but apart from that I can't see it.
    Baalzharon
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited August 2019
    Scot said:
    AngryElf said:

Scot said:

I seriously doubt consoles do anything faster than the PC, maybe if it was a bad port or the console version has really downgraded graphics, but apart from that I can't see it.

@Kyleran 's 10+ year old (but perfectly usable) laptop running Windows 7 vs. an XBox 1S? 

There are old consoles but the nature of the beast is that they tend to be retired and the users upgrade because of new titles get released on the new platform and the price is lower.

PCs on the other hand tend to stick around because even an old PC is good at doing mundane tasks - so people don't upgrade. Some do but have you rushed out to buy an RTX2080? (I haven't.)

Given the price of graphics cards for the last few years it wouldn't surprise me if "namy" PCs were "slower" than the current XBox and Playstation models. (Sales of consoles are far higher than sales of discrete cards but sales of pre-built PCs - bit of an unknown). 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Hey now, my "classic" gaming laptop is "only" 9 years old, and while I don't use it for gaming my guess is it still exceeds the specs of some consoles.

My 4.5 year old Sager gaming laptop still hasn't met a game it can't play well, except perhaps Windows 10 exclusives since I remain firmly on Win 7.

But then again, you spend $2500 plus on a laptop and they tend to last as I know it still crushes every console on the market. 

You are correct however, I havent upgraded after my normal 3 year mark seeing it now costs near $4K to get one with a 2080 and I've not run into a game yet (that I play) which requires more power.

So I'll wait until the day it becomes needed and then drop the cash.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited August 2019
    Scot said:
    because if the game is multiplatform then it's better when people have the choice to play on their preferred platform.

EDIT: i just watched a video of that game and it looks like something designed for PC (with a mouse). If there is a console version then the devs must have redesigned the controls so there shouldn't be any problem there. Even the Super Nintendo had games that played "better" on a PC.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Kyleran said:
    Hey now, my "classic" gaming laptop is "only" 9 years old, and while I don't use it for gaming my guess is it still exceeds the specs of some consoles.

My 4.5 year old Sager gaming laptop still hasn't met a game it can't play well, except perhaps Windows 10 exclusives since I remain firmly on Win 7.

But then again, you spend $2500 plus on a laptop and they tend to last as I know it still crushes every console on the market. 

You are correct however, I havent upgraded after my normal 3 year mark seeing it now costs near $4K to get one with a 2080 and I've not run into a game yet (that I play) which requires more power.

Can you imagine paying $2500 for a computer that run games the same or worst than a $200-$400 dollar console? But that's not why console sells. That's why I always believed comparing consoles to PCs make no sense. Sure they may now be x86 as well, but are still built differently for a different market.

My PC is also old, the best component on it is a GTX970, everything else bottlenecks my GPU. It still runs many games better than my Day 1 PS4, but many other games run worst on my PC due to optimization on a single console vs a million different types of PC setups.

edited August 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    Scot said:
    AngryElf said:

Scot said:

@Kyleran 's 10+ year old (but perfectly usable) laptop running Windows 7 vs. an XBox 1S? 

There are old consoles but the nature of the beast is that they tend to be retired and the users upgrade because of new titles get released on the new platform and the price is lower.

PCs on the other hand tend to stick around because even an old PC is good at doing mundane tasks - so people don't upgrade. Some do but have you rushed out to buy an RTX2080? (I haven't.)

Given the price of graphics cards for the last few years it wouldn't surprise me if "namy" PCs were "slower" than the current XBox and Playstation models. (Sales of consoles are far higher than sales of discrete cards but sales of pre-built PCs - bit of an unknown). 
    Well that depends on the PC, sure if you count old machines, one thing consoles do better than PC's is every few years with a console you get your pushed into buying a new one. Mind you the new one will not be that much better than the old console. ;)

Scot said:
    because if the game is multiplatform then it's better when people have the choice to play on their preferred platform.

EDIT: i just watched a video of that game and it looks like something designed for PC (with a mouse). If there is a console version then the devs must have redesigned the controls so there shouldn't be any problem there. Even the Super Nintendo had games that played "better" on a PC.

Yes it is a well known PC game, some day people are going to get that I just like taking the micky out of consoles, mobiles and hand helds. I rarely even put forward an argument, thats the give away. :)
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kyleran said:

Only 9 years - sorry! 

And - as you say - what you spend is a factor. Out of curiosity I just had a look at XBox prices. for $399 you can have an X Box One X, controller and Metro Saga; the XBox One S costs $299.

Now a console isn't a flexible PC but $399 for an XBox X One. For which you can play games in native 4K. The price of PC graphics cards certainly make the case for a cheap PC plus a console. The consoles offer Dolby Atmos Sound as well .... although how many people have Dolby Atmos speakers though? 

And if $399 is to much an XBox 1S is $299. And Sony have great deals as well on Playstations I will add.

At these prices I am not surprised console owners simply update. 

So I think its great for 4X gaming in general that Stellaris did move to console in February and has obviously done well enough for them to push this expansion out as well. 

The "potential worry" for PC gamers is that 4X games on consoles may prove popular. And that developers might make more money from consoles. And ... lets park that thought.
    Kyleranlaserit
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    If a console were to be released which well supported the games I want to play including good mouse & keyboard support I'd buy one in a minute.

I'm sure I could find good games to play on a console, just can't adapt to a game controller, much easier to grab a drink or snack and keep on gaming without interruption on a KB/Mouse setup. 

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited August 2019
    Kyleran said:

Couple weeks ago I bought an MSI GS75 Stealth for $3500 Canadian that works out to $2625 usd and its has a I7 9750h and an rtx2080 max q on board. Size and weight of the thing blows me away.

My last laptop upgrade was back in 2012 ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    gervaise1 said:
    Kyleran said:

Only 9 years - sorry! 

And - as you say - what you spend is a factor. Out of curiosity I just had a look at XBox prices. for $399 you can have an X Box One X, controller and Metro Saga; the XBox One S costs $299.

Now a console isn't a flexible PC but $399 for an XBox X One. For which you can play games in native 4K. The price of PC graphics cards certainly make the case for a cheap PC plus a console. The consoles offer Dolby Atmos Sound as well .... although how many people have Dolby Atmos speakers though? 

And if $399 is to much an XBox 1S is $299. And Sony have great deals as well on Playstations I will add.

At these prices I am not surprised console owners simply update. 

So I think its great for 4X gaming in general that Stellaris did move to console in February and has obviously done well enough for them to push this expansion out as well. 

The "potential worry" for PC gamers is that 4X games on consoles may prove popular. And that developers might make more money from consoles. And ... lets park that thought.
    Consoles are a bargain and the only reason that you couldn't play a game with a mouse and kb would be because of the developer.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee