Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fortnite Champ Bugha Swatted Live On Stream - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247

Hatefull said:

Thane said:

VicusEQ said:

So...I'm a cop and your comment is just uneducated Wizardy. Swat/cops just dont run into a house because there is something "suspicious". It's because someone called 911 and yelled something drastically crazy like OMG they killed my family please come help or OMG they have guns and are coming up the stairs. In those situations as a cop...what are you suppose to do? Wait outside...make 30 phone calls to confirm this is "real" while someone is being murdered inside? What if that was your family inside with a REAL criminal and needed that split second decision to act to save them. There is a reason why cops are suppose to rush into a school shooting because faster action saves lives vice allowing a shooter to just roam free until everyone is "ready".

Even when bad things happen from swatting (very very rare) it is always better to assume the worse then wait for everything to be tripled check before acting. Majority of the things you see on the news isn't even swatting..its usually a legit warrant being served on a wrong house. Then you are an officer you are told bad guy in this house..we have a warrant..make sure everyone goes in and comes out safe. Mistakes happen (apparently often with Russian nuclear projects). Cops aren't perfect but educate yourself...something more then watching Fox news and CNN. When is the last time you talked with an Officer? They have meet and greets twice a month at 90% of the departments in the country. An Officer will speak freely with you on almost every issue and answer your questions without hesitation because we much rather community know the truth not assume how things are.

OMG THERE IS A BAD GUY IN THE WHITE HOUSE!

HE IS TAKING HOSTAGES, A HOLE COUNTRY!

legit, aye? soooo. you gotta react now! bc i said so! must be true.

uh and just did a quick google search on "school shooting averted by police" aaaaand.... not too many results, most have been averted by citizens ^^

you justify those actions? cool. your prob i guess. quite happy i don't live in the states.

if a cop doesn't see the prob... then there is no help comming i guess

Your uneducated and insane rambling aside, "averted by Citizens" Exactly, this is exactly why we need more trained and armed citizens. Police Officers cannot be everywhere. Good point, thanks for posting that. The rest is just immature hyperbole.

No we dont need more armed citizens
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    People can get killed this way. Whoever did it needs a long jail sentence.
    gunklackerPhryrojoArcueid

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Torval said:
    VicusEQ said:
    Even when bad things happen from swatting (very very rare) it is always better to assume the worse then wait for everything to be tripled check before acting.
    No! Strongly disagree. It's not okay to have an acceptable minimum civilian casualty rate > 0. There is no justification for  mistakenly killing innocents because "most of the time it's better".
    Kind of the problem though. When they are being (falsely) informed that someone is in mortal danger, if they wait then the probability of that becoming a reality instead of just a danger becomes greater.

It's a catch 22 there.
    KyleranPhry
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    These incidents need to be cracked down on harder and the perpetrators need the book thrown at them.

Even if no one is harmed in a swatting incident (the majority of swatting incidents), the caller is wasting taxpayer money for each deployed officer, all while increasing the odds of an unrelated incident turning fatal because the officers that could be helping that person are busy dealing with bullshit.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Surely with how much of a thing this has become police departments must have some confidence level qualifier they use to differentiate calls coming in from anonymous report and hang-up vs. numbers verified via call back, reporting person staying on the line, etc. Validation can even happen while the response is on route.

It just seems like it's way too easy for some random person to get this whole dangerous and costly thing started.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    So the moral of the story is if you ever win a gaming tournament or are a streamer even be sure to use an alias identity and never,  ever let people know where you live.
    Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited August 2019
    Iselin said:
    Surely with how much of a thing this has become police departments must have some confidence level qualifier they use to differentiate calls coming in from anonymous report and hang-up vs. numbers verified via call back, reporting person staying on the line, etc. Validation can even happen while the response is on route.

It just seems like it's way too easy for some random person to get this whole dangerous and costly thing started.
    One of the earlier posts well explains how his department works with 911 to discern real calls from fake.

Here's an excerpt. (Reformatted for easier reading)

"When a 911 call comes in there is a dispatcher that answers the phone with a very complicated phone system that hears things that you don't normally hear during a normal phone conversation.

When it sounds like a priority 1 call comes in like...please help me someone just kicked in my back door and I hear them roaming around the house...or I just heard gunshots and my backdoor being kicked in...at this time multiple dispatchers listen in on the call.

So now you have multiple people screening the call to see if it's legit.  For every 20 "swatted" calls maybe 1 of them is found to be possibly credible because we can tell when it's someone is lying because we deal with people lying to us on a daily basis.

So no...we don't rush the White House just because some random guy says what you typed"

It really isn't a case of the dispatcher saying "time to cowboy up boyz" 

;)
    Amathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    Kyleran said:
    So the moral of the story is if you ever win a gaming tournament or are a streamer even be sure to use an alias identity and never,  ever let people know where you live.
    Good advice for anyone on the internet. I also think it might be a good idea if you enter competitions or stream for certain games where swatting occurs to inform the police of what you do, maybe that way less of this would occur.
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Aeander said:
    These incidents need to be cracked down on harder and the perpetrators need the book thrown at them.

Even if no one is harmed in a swatting incident (the majority of swatting incidents), the caller is wasting taxpayer money for each deployed officer, all while increasing the odds of an unrelated incident turning fatal because the officers that could be helping that person are busy dealing with bullshit.
    I think personally that it should be treated as attempted murder. The Police have a difficult enough job as it is without these kinds of idiots putting other peoples lives in danger, its not a joke kind of thing after all, there is genuine malice in play here. :/
    [Deleted User]