Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is Classic WoW actually Vanilla?

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    RS-Man said:
    What isn't Vanilla about it though? Will it run on my old PC? Have they gotten rid of instant travel and all that crap?
    Patch 1.12 was the final patch in World of Warcraft’s vanilla days and was originally released on Aug. 22, 2006. That is the version we are getting. Auction houses were linked in this version and all that. No modern WOW shenanigans.
    It sounds good, but I quit after they allowed you to warp to Battlegrounds, is that still in there? The best thing about the game was having to travel to them and waiting outside. 

I agree with you that travelling to the Battlegrounds was fun, created a lot of pvp opportunities specially going to Hillsbrad Foothills to enter Alterac, if i remember right, it was a Rogue gank fest lol
    You and I have very different meanings for the word "opportunity."

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    I'm interested if it's WoW how it was, playable on a PC from 2004 like Vanilla Private Servers. If however it's just based on today's game with different rules.... I do not care.

Thanks. 
    The system requirements are much higher than it was back in the day.  They are using their modern backbone, and as such, all the system requirements of BFA apply to Classic.  So don't bother dusting off your old PC... if you can't play retail WoW on it, you won't be able to play Classic on it.

Vanilla is just a coined phrase to refer to "original" release.  However, Classic is not "original" release, it's patch 1.12 which is essentially the last patch released before TBC came out.  What this means is, you have all the character, gear, dungeon, raid, and battleground fixes built in at launch, only you won't be able to access certain content until Blizzard releases it.  It's already there and in place, unlike launch when it was released via patches.  

This means, no balancing.  It is what it is and will stay that way for the duration unlike "original" WoW that went through a myriad of changes to get to patch 1.12.
    kertin
  • dekkion1dekkion1 Member UncommonPosts: 152

so does this mean in 2031 when all games will be VR....will we then wish for BFA finally and be glad about the changes.
    gammer 4 life
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Most of the private servers also use the same 1.12 cutoff so if you're using the standard as the private server check which version it is.
    Phry
    Chamber of Chains
  • AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104
    They revealed the system requirements a while ago. As should be expected, they are significantly lower than the modern version of the game due to the simpler graphics.

OPERATING SYSTEMWindows® 7 64-bit (with latest Service Packs)
    PROCESSORIntel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8750
    VIDEONVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT 512 MB or AMD Radeon™ HD 4850 512 MB or Intel® HD Graphics 4000
    MEMORY2 GB RAM (4 GB for integrated graphics such as Intel HD Graphics series)
    STORAGE5 GB available space
    INTERNETBroadband internet connection
    INPUTKeyboard and mouse required. Other input devices are not supported.
    RESOLUTION1024 x 768 minimum display resolution

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/wow-classic-pre-launch-test-11-00-a-m-pdt-august-8-and-minimum-specs/239621
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    And despite all the fancy packaging, wow still sucks.
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156
    In what state will it be in? the last patch before TBC or so?

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    edited August 2019
    Its actually vanilla. Its not like EQ, LOTRO, AO, Lineage etc etc where they just take the current game and lock expansions.

But no. You cannot play it on a 2004 PC well. They didn't ignore 15 years of global technological progress in the back end.
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    TeknoBug said:
    their doing phases part 1-6 ? it unknown the details  beyond first part is molten core, no battle grounds and each phases after pushes it closer to the last patch before setting up TBC. as it stand their been very quit on details as players are fickle and their trying avoid pissing on the majority with things not set in stone.    

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2019
    Just watch one of the 100s/1000s of streams on it next week. Easy money for streamers, dont even need commentary.

I can already see the drama since method is trying a host a world first to 60 race when they reach 60 in 1-2 days, "this isn't the true classic experience! fail!"
    Albatroes said:
    Just watch one of the 100s/1000s of streams on it next week. Easy money for streamers, dont even need commentary.

I can already see the drama since method is trying a host a world first to 60 race when they reach 60 in 1-2 days, "this isn't the true classic experience! fail!"
    No one will hit 60 in 1-2 days.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Utinni said:
    Albatroes said:

Probably not but maybe 4:

"Some players, on certain classes, are able to achieve level 60 in extraordinarily fast times such as Joana, who has the world record fastest time to reach max level in Vanilla WoW at 4 days 20 hours and who is planning to play WoW Classic and smash his existing record."

https://www.warcrafttavern.com/news/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-to-level-60-in-wow-classic-an-objective-look/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104
    TeknoBug said:
    It’s based on patch 1.12, the last Vanilla patch (excluding the 2.0 TBC pre-patch) but with staggered content release. They are doing six phases of content release. Phase 1 is Onyxia and Molten Core. Phase 2 adds Dire Maul and some world bosses, Phase 3 Honor system and Blackwinf Lair, etc.
    Iselin said:
    Utinni said:
    Albatroes said:

Probably not but maybe 4:

"Some players, on certain classes, are able to achieve level 60 in extraordinarily fast times such as Joana, who has the world record fastest time to reach max level in Vanilla WoW at 4 days 20 hours and who is planning to play WoW Classic and smash his existing record."

https://www.warcrafttavern.com/news/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-to-level-60-in-wow-classic-an-objective-look/

I won't debate 4. Someone will break 4. But 1-2 is just someone spouting off crap they don't know anything about.

Right now the 1-45 record is 52 hours on classic with an empty server.
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    mbrodie said:
    mbrodie said:
    mbrodie said:
    Mordred1 said:
    I'm interested if it's WoW how it was, playable on a PC from 2004 like Vanilla Private Servers. If however it's just based on today's game with different rules.... I do not care.

Thanks. 
    Nope, not like back in the day vanilla..  There's some similarities especially graphically, but from a gameplay standpoint, exp to level is totally different(much faster than it used to be), mobs don't hit as hard and players aren't dying, little to no resting between battles how you used to have to do, scaling for classes is totally different than how it was. Players pulling mass amounts of mobs and living(couldn't do this in vanilla) The list goes on.... 

There's a LOT of things under the hood that are NOT vanilla in the slightest.   So, short answer - Nope, not even close.  While it may visually look like it, it simply doesn't play like it. I'm sure tons and tons of ppl will play it and love it while others wont.  I can't justify spending time playing the game when it's going to stop at a certain point from a progression standpoint so I will not be playing it when it launches.  

1 thing I find odd is how excited people are with Classic WoW coming up, very well knowing that the content will eventually hit a wall yet they bitch about lack of content in all current versions of WoW.  Very oxymoron like.

Seriously, wtf are you on about?

I guess you mixed up classic wow with retail wow.
    Have you played classic yet on the beta?  It's not even close to vanilla.  Proof is in the pudding.  Soooo many things that are different.
    I mean the devs are running an original blade to cross check the differences that people keep calling bugs or wrong that are actually correct. but sure let's say it's completely different.

1 - your memories betray you from what the original experience actually was.

2 - Private servers were mainly guess work, so if you've been playing them don't expect them to be an accurate representation.

3 - i have the beta not just the stress test and it seems like a pretty accurate representation of what i played back then.

4 - yeah of course people are gonna level faster, they know the zones like the back of their hand and don't have to spent long periods of time trying to complete quests they have no idea of where they are going or spending time on thotbot looking for the answers to quest mob locations etc...

5 -  the devs are going to the trouble of replicating actual bugs that were present in Classic, pretty sure if they are going to go to all that trouble.. they aren't going to increase the speed of leveling just for the lulz.

I guess this is the real problem with releasing a Classic server.. it can't live up to everyones expectations because their memories and original feeling honestly can't be replicated.

Edit - before you ask me to prove i have classic beta

As I said to the other dude, you don't have to agree. My experiences are my experiences and my friends who play agree as well.  If you think its close to vanilla than ok, that's perfectly fine.  We can agree to disagree. 
    we can agree to disagree, but i made my comment before you edited your post to say it's your opinion... when you first wrote it you made it sound like it's a fact and the proof is the game which is what i was rebutting.

I guess at the end of the day regardless of what your thoughts are based off your own memories the actual experience is being checked against a real live server blade from classic WoW so the experience will be as 1:1 as possible.
    Jesus now we're just nitpicking aren't we?  This is why I hate posting on these forums because people turn arguments into bullshit Im right your wrong arguments like this. 

It's already been proven that it's not 1:1 when people have come out an ran tests of abilities and weapons scaling differently than vanilla, exp rates are different, mobs damage is different, the list goes on but thats ok you don't have to agree.  I'm done arguing with you.  To me and many others, this shit isn't close to vanilla.  You can say or think it is all you want, Blizzard can come out an say oh yeah we're replicating bugs and problems it had back in the day and people would buy it. It doesn't matter because to some of us that did play Vanilla and remember the experience, this isn't vanilla.   

And please don't sit here and tell me I don't remember much of Vanilla.  I can remember bright as day experiences from Everquest 20 years ago. 
    ran tests off what?

blizzard has the damn server up and running to check against. All other arguments are invalid.

Edit - let me fix what you wrote "i hate posting on forums because people present facts that i get upset about when my own opinion isn't fact and then present other futile arguments as facts which in fact they arent.. and MAH MEMORIES ARE MORE RIGHT THAN YOUR FACTS"

Edit 2 - I did infact play vanilla, i'm probably one of the earliest players of it and if they still listed account creation dates i could show you considering i had access from friends and family alpha and i'm talking about when 80% of skills had placeholder names and barely anything worked.

hell i hated the damn game up until close to release from how terrible of experience i had during the alpha etc...

and from my memories.. it feels pretty close to how Classic did at the end of classic before TBC launched.

So because some people have magically ran "tests" that validate your opinion it's fact.

i'd hate to break it to you but the fact blizzard has a genuine original classic server blade running to check things against isn't an opinion.. it's a fact. they do and it's damn near 1:1
    Hey guy. Please stop throwing facts at us.  

Just like the late Joe Biden said, We choose truth, not facts!