Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think we will get a new Western AAA MMORPG before 2030?

13»

Comments

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Indie is the new AAA. The most fun I had in gaming in the last year was from Indie games like Factorio or Oxigen not Included. I think we old gamers loving EQ1, EVE etc. are getting less and less, so smaller Indie-Companies have to fill the niches. But maybe I like that, since indie communities are better.

• dekkion1dekkion1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited August 2019
    Coated said:
    I do not need and AAA game anymore. I'd be happy with a low key MMORPG with easy fun grouping, housing, farming, with an anime vibe. I think a lot of INDIE company's could pull this off quite easily if their heads weren't made of stupid.

I think the closest i've seen was maplestory 2, but anyone that played that knows the how many flaws occupy that game.
    lol yea we will.......but remember things change nothin stays the same
    game developers move on..die ..get old....loose there mojo which was  the thing made them great in the first place.
    wow..eso..ff14...gw2....to answer you question will a game ever come out to top those 4,,,,
    not any time soon but it would have to be live cinematic game  which plays like a cinematic like when you watch FF14 shadowbringers opener cinematic.....yea like that.
    with top notch game play and pvp with rvr  with a super great story line to get people to drop those four and focus on the new. and lets not forget virtual reality ready.....hey man ford chrys ..and GM have already phased out the 4 door sedans to make room for the electric cars and the self driving ones.
    why would the gaming industry be any different soon guys VR and thats all there will be.... and aint a dam thing u can do about it.
    lol imagine playing ff14 in VR.....enough said.
    gammer 4 life
  • agamennagamenn Member UncommonPosts: 67
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    agamenn said:
    then its still a no

not from western at least
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    edited August 2019
    AAAMEOW said:
    For example, Camelot Unchained is the first MMORPG, pretty much in over a decade, that is actually embracing "massively multiplayer"! 
    Kind of pushing it on the statement.  All Camelot Unchain trying to do is try not to crash when there are large amount of people in the same area.  

They are taking it much further than simply not crashing when you reach massively multiplayer numbers (though, being able to achieve that is still better than 99% of the market).

They are also creating systems to make being massively multiplayer enjoyable. On the combat front, they're going with horizontal progression to make sure power gaps dont destroy people. Group sizes are flexible, so a "raid" leader can create a group with 100s of players in it, thus faciliting management of large groups of people. There's player collision, which should open up more large scale tactics beyond just the zerg. Then of course the whole building your own castles and fortresses, requiring masses of people to build and masses to seige and destroy.

Compared to every other MMO I've played, that goes way beyond what I've seen before. Normally, being MMO simply means just allowing a lot of people in the same zone, there is never any content or systems that actually try to make use of that fact. And that still confuses the hell out of me, considering that being massively multiplayer is the only unique selling point of the genre.
    I don't know how good CU is going to be.  I think the main problem with these type of game is it get boring fast.  Because there is no winning or lossing.  

I heard many people talking about "pvping with consequence" on the forum.  RvR goes to the next level, there are essentially no purpose.  If you are on the lossing team, you don't even want to logon.  If you are on the winning team, you just keep banning unguarded objective to "gain some rewards".

Hopefully Camelot Unchain can make RvR better.  They need a better system for rewards in territory control.  I find AR games like ingress or pokemon go do a much better job in their system.

And I don't really find what you say any special.  All the RvR games before dont' have much power gap.  Hack I play GW2 realm vs realm and everyone is wearing the same stats gear.  And the word horizontal progression actually means there are some power gap in different ways, because you can be better in some ways.  

But the collision detection is interesting.  Never heard of any games trying to implement that.  I don't know how it going to stop same team from harrasing each other if some one purposely block the door.  (maybe CU will try to implement same realm killing)?
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

- State of the art graphics are becoming a problem for developers. The man hours needed to create top 3d graphics keep rising. This means that it will be at the cost of other features in a game, if a company wants to keep development time reasonable. You can see this with the latest installments for several AAA franchises. Where games release far from ready because of this.

Both these tie into each other. State of the art 3d (which is required to be accepted by mainstream gamer masses) is becoming too costly to combine with a full MMORPG set of 
    Not entirely true. The tools also advance along with the tech, automating a bunch of things that manually would add a lot of development time. A few MMOs have showcased some of their in-house developed tools a few times and how quickly they could whip up new environments with them. And then there are the more well known tools like DirectX that are also developed specifically for this purpose.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    For example, Camelot Unchained is the first MMORPG, pretty much in over a decade, that is actually embracing "massively multiplayer"! 
    Kind of pushing it on the statement.  All Camelot Unchain trying to do is try not to crash when there are large amount of people in the same area.  

They are taking it much further than simply not crashing when you reach massively multiplayer numbers (though, being able to achieve that is still better than 99% of the market).

They are also creating systems to make being massively multiplayer enjoyable. On the combat front, they're going with horizontal progression to make sure power gaps dont destroy people. Group sizes are flexible, so a "raid" leader can create a group with 100s of players in it, thus faciliting management of large groups of people. There's player collision, which should open up more large scale tactics beyond just the zerg. Then of course the whole building your own castles and fortresses, requiring masses of people to build and masses to seige and destroy.

Compared to every other MMO I've played, that goes way beyond what I've seen before. Normally, being MMO simply means just allowing a lot of people in the same zone, there is never any content or systems that actually try to make use of that fact. And that still confuses the hell out of me, considering that being massively multiplayer is the only unique selling point of the genre.
    I don't know how good CU is going to be.  I think the main problem with these type of game is it get boring fast.  Because there is no winning or lossing.  

I heard many people talking about "pvping with consequence" on the forum.  RvR goes to the next level, there are essentially no purpose.  If you are on the lossing team, you don't even want to logon.  If you are on the winning team, you just keep banning unguarded objective to "gain some rewards".

Hopefully Camelot Unchain can make RvR better.  They need a better system for rewards in territory control.  I find AR games like ingress or pokemon go do a much better job in their system.

And I don't really find what you say any special.  All the RvR games before dont' have much power gap.  Hack I play GW2 realm vs realm and everyone is wearing the same stats gear.  And the word horizontal progression actually means there are some power gap in different ways, because you can be better in some ways.  

But the collision detection is interesting.  Never heard of any games trying to implement that.  I don't know how it going to stop same team from harrasing each other if some one purposely block the door.  (maybe CU will try to implement same realm killing)?
    CU won't be particularly popular, but they know that. They're building a deliberately niche game and only aiming for 50k subscribers. So, I imagine most people won't think it's very good, but those who enjoy RvRvR will hopefully enjoy it.

My main point is simply that they are experimenting, trying to push the boundaries of the genre, and hopefully that'll inspire larger devs. I've never seen an MMO where progression meant not increasing stats. I'm excited for it!

Also, every game I've ever played that includes XP, gives that XP immediately. CU wont! XP / renown will only get handed out once a day based on a culmination of all your activity that day. So, when I'm in game, I will no longer have that selfish motivation guiding me. What will happen to my motivation? If I'm not chasing ranks and gear, what will I do? Will I be more inspired to help the community? Will I become more focused on having fun and less on progression? I don't know, but I'm curious to find out!

And what about the ability builder? I've literally never played an RPG where I don't just unlock fixed skills. CU will let me build my own skills! Do I want raw damage on this attack, or should I sacrifice some damage so I can add a DoT? Do I want this skill to hit 2 targets, or 5? Do I make the buff duration 30 seconds, but with a 1 minute cooldown, or do I go for a 10 second buff with 20 second cooldown? CU puts that power into the players hands, not the devs, and so will let us create exact what we want. Is that going to be an unbalancable mess? Or is the freedom going to make us love our characters more? Or will it result in "must have" meta-builds / fotw type shit? No idea, but I'm curious to find out....

Power Gaps - I've yet to play an MMO without them, because they all base themselves around vertical progression. I've not played GW2, but from everything I've read its the exact same way, so you can't really be competitive until you hit the top of the power curve. WAR was the worst example I saw, power gaps in that were horrific. For example, a rank 80 glass cannon would have more armour than a rank 50 tank, in addition to their crazy dps. Power gaps ruin everything, all the time, whether it is unbalancing PvP or simply making PvE content redundant.

Some games get away with the vertical progression and power gaps by simply making it easy to hit the top of the power curve. I understand that is how GW2 opperates - the power gaps are there, they're just easy to overcome because the curve isn't that big and the loot is accessible. This is how it was in SWTOR too - the power gaps were awful, but the content was so easy and the loot plentiful so you could overcome the gaps quickly.

Collision detection. Its been done before. They had it in WAR. The reason it hasn't been done much before is for technical reasons - the amount of additional calculations you have to make is a lot, and when those calculations have to be done after some data transfers over the web, the whole thing can get messy. But, in WAR it opened up some nice tactics. A group of tanks could form a line and block corridors, preventing keeps from being taken if they were backed up by some good healers. There were, ofc, counters, as every class had a load of knockbacks, but that just added to the fun. A well co-ordinated raid could easy hold off 3x their number of pugs through good positioning and internal support.

Also, in WAR, the way they avoiding same-side issues was by letting players of the same realm run through each other when they were out of combat.

I've no idea whether CU will actually be good or not. But I'm really happy that they're experimenting with systems and tech. I personally think what they're experimenting with is exactly what the genre needs, but being such a niche game means those idea will have to be picked up by other devs in order for them to propagate and become mainstream.
    Kyleran
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    endsfate said:

Western AAA MMORPG two come to mind. New World by Amazon still in alpha and the New Lord Of The Rings also by Amazon

I've no confidence that the new Tolkien-based game will be an MMO, even if Leyou and Amazon say so repeatedly.  Developers seem happy to have the tag "mmo" apply to anything they are making that is not strictly solo or co-op.  Among other things, they keep calling it a new Lord of the Rings game when it is set in the Second Age, long before the events of the trilogy.  Even realizing that this is a marketing ploy aimed at enticing people who know nothing about Tolkien's works, they are going to be fighting negative push back when players finally realize it's not a game about Frodo and the Ring.  And may not even have Hobbits in it.  (My guess is it will be about Elrond, his borther and the founding of Numenor.) 

Amazon may have a lot of money, but they've yet to produce a single game that hits the AAA mark.  They are back to the drawing board with the New World, so who knows. 

AAA used to mean quality, continuity, updates, expansions and good service.  Frankly, there are a lot of indie MMOs that play better than so-called AAA games.  It's hard to imagine any game coming out of a 'major' studio not being heavily monetized. 

So, yeah, give me WoW Classic. 
  • DhahranGirlDhahranGirl Newbie CommonPosts: 22
    Serious question. Seems like MMORPG take 6 or more years to develop.  If we are lucky maybe one of the kickstarter MMORPG will be released in the next 4 years and is huge.  The slow place and I don't think many have the potential to be huge. 

My opinion of course is that Age of Creation is likely the only one that may have mass appeal.  This is not to say any of the others won't be successful but I don't see any exploding onto the scene.  

So theoretically if there is no MMORPG in development by 2003 we likely would not see a new AAA MMORPG in the 20s.
    This is true and I can testify to that fact of not having seen a new MMORPG come out yet.  They cost so much to design and implement.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    AAA MMO in west is dead. 
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Yes, Star Citizen
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    What western mmo? most western company mmo overlord is tencent or netease.
  • Shooter564567Shooter564567 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    edited August 2019
    The Golden age of MMORPG's was 1999 - to 2006....  WoW was the last good Western MMO.  Everything after that is shit.. plain shit.

The old school MMO's had soul... even though they were basic as fuck..  I never ever EVER got the same feeling I got playing any recent MMO's that I got when I played the old school MMO 's back in the days and I'm sure I never will again.

These are the best MMORPG's ever made:

Asheron's Call

Everquest

Ultima Online

• krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    nope western companys only want the quick buck with minimal effort so they are to busy with mobile and consoul market. Does not help that a lot of past aaa western ones were flops due mainly being less good that ones alread in the market.
    Azaron_NightbladeAlBQuirky