Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Seventh Anniversary Gifts Coming Soon - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2 Seventh Anniversary Gifts Coming Soon - MMORPG.com

Guild Wars 2 gifts are coming soon to celebrate its seventh anniversary.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    7th .. maybe Last
    ceh430PuReDusTBeezerbeezThupliskeaserDakeru
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    meh
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    The whip looks cool.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Well it's a lot more than what they offered in the past.

Gonna bet they never planned to still need this game to make bank, and had planned to pump out a GW3 by now, kinda like how they rolled GW1, where they made the game, milked it for as much as they could, and then rolled out a new game to spin the whole process over again, building off brand recognition and reputation.

To be honest.. I am sure myself and others who got fed up with their new direction with HOT, would give a GW3 a solid try.

Anyway.. wishing them the best.. they have made their choice, hopefully it will work for them.. if not.. hopefully others will learn from their mistakes.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Amathe said:

The whip looks cool.

what whip?
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited August 2019
    Ooh, an armor pack. I hope it's actually mix-and-matchable armor and not a crappy outfit.

Tiller said:

Amathe said:

The whip looks cool.

what whip?
    It's not a whip. That's an Elonian Sword, but the image kind of makes it look like a whip due to the way the tip connects to the trail on the Anniversary finisher animation. Excellent photo, but a bit misleading at a glance.
    [Deleted User]Radoo
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Tiller said:

Amathe said:

The whip looks cool.

what whip?

Looked like a whip to me. Maybe a scimitar with something behind it?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

adding in whips would be cool.. 
    [Deleted User]Amathe
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Amathe said:

Tiller said:

Amathe said:

The whip looks cool.

what whip?

Looked like a whip to me. Maybe a scimitar with something behind it?
    It's the GW2 splash logo lol.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

Ungood said:
    I agree. Though personally, I'd want fists more, so I can punch dragons and gods in the face.
    [Deleted User]
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:
    I agree. Though personally, I'd want fists more, so I can punch dragons and gods in the face.
    Never gonna happen, Dragon fisting would change the rating on the game.
    AeanderUngoodSaltyDog79[Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298
    7 years of milking this title...
    Let's all celebrate by buying more Guild Wars 2 STUFFS!
    Awful management, even after it changed!
    Aeander[Deleted User]mmolou
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

Radoo said:

Have you played other game? it's way worse ie, my.com, gamigo, trion.
    UnbinoThupli
    Radoo said:
    This is a free birthday gift.

Reading comprehension is hard.
    UnbinoBeezerbeez
  • AenghasAenghas Member UncommonPosts: 116

Ungood said:

I developed a dagger elementalist build around air attunement because it looked like I had whips lol.
    Ungood
  • stego160stego160 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    edited August 2019
    Vanilla GW2 is still a joy to play! I wasn't so crazy about the expansions map designs or there poor choices when it comes to social media. I'm sure they could find there way again in what made GW2 a breath of fresh air.
  • OhsyOhsy Member UncommonPosts: 37
    edited August 2019
    Regardless of the recent changes, its still a very well developed game that fits my on and off again RL/gaming life style. I started GW2 at launch and still have no quarrels with the buy to play expansion content. Yes I may also throw in $20 for gems a couple times a year but the vast majority has been purchased via in game gold.

I enjoy logging in and making my own content/agenda vs following a static and linear gear progression. Setting goals for legendaries and fashion wars is so fun and rewarding once you reach said goal. I love how the scaling mechanic doesn't limit where or who I play with. Solo world exploration/completion with all the different classes is my go to when I have limited time but also enjoy how easy/quick it is to jump into group dungeon/fractial, WPVP and big map events. When work/RL gets crazy and I have to take a break, I never feel left behind when I return. No other game have I encountered such a friendly and helpful community.
    ThupliUnbino
    Nyctelios said:

Radoo said:

Aeander said:
    Radoo said:

Well, because there are worse things in the world it does not make your thing good. Just better than those things. That's not even an argument.

And he is not talking about the game milking with those gifts, he is reffering to everything else... Like locking the plot behind a paywall... people defending you can get gems with gold... then going to get gems and noticing you can't get them by any amount anymore, just packs which the amount is not enough or too much. 

So... yeah. Tell ME about it. I'm WvW Champion for Jade Quarry. 3 years.
    It is an argument when "those things" is the literal entirety of its genre, not just the worst offenders.

Anyway, the game's financial history doesn't portray a studio milking its game. It portrays a studio attempting to keep their game afloat with dwindling results, culminating in publisher-initiated mass layoffs and likely eventual shutdown as said game does not produce the results generated by said publishers portfolio of actually milked, exploitative games.

The comparison of this game to others is actually startling. WoW's anniversary celebration involves the sale of two crap anniversary mount skins. That is how WoW, the biggest and most successful game in this genre, celebrates 15 years of fan loyalty and active subscription revenue. Guild Wars 2, a currently struggling, non-subscription game, celebrates its anniversaries through free gifts. Which audience is being milked?
    ThupliUnbino
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Aeander said:
    Nyctelios said:

Radoo said:

Aeander said:
    Radoo said:

Well, because there are worse things in the world it does not make your thing good. Just better than those things. That's not even an argument.

And he is not talking about the game milking with those gifts, he is reffering to everything else... Like locking the plot behind a paywall... people defending you can get gems with gold... then going to get gems and noticing you can't get them by any amount anymore, just packs which the amount is not enough or too much. 

So... yeah. Tell ME about it. I'm WvW Champion for Jade Quarry. 3 years.
    It is an argument when "those things" is the literal entirety of its genre, not just the worst offenders.

Anyway, the game's financial history doesn't portray a studio milking its game. It portrays a studio attempting to keep their game afloat with dwindling results, culminating in publisher-initiated mass layoffs and likely eventual shutdown as said game does not produce the results generated by said publishers portfolio of actually milked, exploitative games.

The comparison of this game to others is actually startling. WoW's anniversary celebration involves the sale of two crap anniversary mount skins. That is how WoW, the biggest and most successful game in this genre, celebrates 15 years of fan loyalty and active subscription revenue. Guild Wars 2, a currently struggling, non-subscription game, celebrates its anniversaries through free gifts. Which audience is being milked?
    You forgot the part where NCSoft stepped in to remove their right to handle the game alone because Arena Net kept removing more and more support from GW2 in order to focus them on "other projects".

You also forgot the part they're so desperate right now that they've completely thrown away any hope of a 3rd expansion in order to push another bad Living Story season.
  • gremjs03gremjs03 Member UncommonPosts: 15

Ungood said:

Gonna bet they never planned to still need this game to make bank, and had planned to pump out a GW3 by now, kinda like how they rolled GW1, where they made the game, milked it for as much as they could, and then rolled out a new game to spin the whole process over again, building off brand recognition and reputation.

To be honest.. I am sure myself and others who got fed up with their new direction with HOT, would give a GW3 a solid try.

Anyway.. wishing them the best.. they have made their choice, hopefully it will work for them.. if not.. hopefully others will learn from their mistakes.

To be fair the 2nd expansion wasn't so hardcore like HoT was. If your looking for a more casual experience that expansion would be more to your liking is my guess. Also the mounts are pretty much the best version of mounts in any MMO ever. It's not just moving fast like every MMO does, but reaching areas you couldn't reach normally. They took a very metroidvania approach to world building/exploration and its pretty awesome. Ironically HoT still gets played a lot even after the 2nd expansion since it has the better large group meta events. PoF is still great for collections and story.
    ThupliUnbino
  • nfacatriusnfacatrius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    7 years is this abomination, which was first shown to be gw1's successor, already. Sad thing this tera/eso esque clone gameplay cant hook me as there is no depth in the skill trees and the amount of sheer customization.
    mmolou
  • ShinyFlygonShinyFlygon Member UncommonPosts: 297
    It's so hard to believe it's only 7 years old. It seems so much older. I mean, seriously, look at it. It seems a lot older.

Also, obligatory SCREW YOU, NCSOFT
    It's so hard to believe it's only 7 years old. It seems so much older. I mean, seriously, look at it. It seems a lot older.

I disagree. It may not be a graphical powerhouse, but that painterly art style has aged really well.

My only real complaint is the excessive amount of animation clipping.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Aeander said:

I disagree. It may not be a graphical powerhouse, but that painterly art style has aged really well.

My only real complaint is the excessive amount of animation clipping.

The environments and zones are absolutely gorgeous. 
    I find the actual player models to be pretty bad, though.  It's ironic that in a game all about beautifying your character and playing fashion that the player models are one of the worst-looking parts of the game.
    gremjs03 said:

Ungood said:

To be fair the 2nd expansion wasn't so hardcore like HoT was. If your looking for a more casual experience that expansion would be more to your liking is my guess. Also the mounts are pretty much the best version of mounts in any MMO ever. It's not just moving fast like every MMO does, but reaching areas you couldn't reach normally. They took a very metroidvania approach to world building/exploration and its pretty awesome. Ironically HoT still gets played a lot even after the 2nd expansion since it has the better large group meta events. PoF is still great for collections and story.
    I played PoF. Overall, my feelings regarding it, was that PoF really should have been their FIRST expansion. It had just the right feel of adding to the game in all the ways that made Core kinda cool.. with just a few little fun additions.

But, HoT was still there, and all the things they put in make the game more centric to the Hardcore players, hence this whole Elitist Raiding Party thing, to start with.

I respect that was their direction and the demographic they felt would move them forward, I got the message that at best I was going to be tossed scraps and busy work if I did not Raid. Give me a few baubles to chase after or whatever to occupy my time, but, I was never gonna get the best stuff, never, unless I started to do raids.

Now, maybe you feel otherwise, or are happy with the baubles.. that's cool, but for me, one of the biggest attractions to GW2, one of things that truly made it stand out among all other MMO's, was that I didn't need to deal with things like raids, and the elitism that came with them, in the game to get the best gear and items.. it made for a very relaxing game that I could play at my pace, in a way that worked for me, and still gave me a feeling of complete and total progress. I felt like the whole game was truly open to me.. playing at my pace.

Since GW2 added in raids, and all the trash and drama that comes with them.. Meh.. I figured if I was going to have to deal with that anyway, I went back to my old MMO, if I was going to raid, I was going to do them in a game I thought did them the best. 

But yah.. if they made PoF first and never put in the raids.. hell I might still be playing and dumping my change into their coin purse.. here is to hoping that the people they wanted to cater to picked up the tab.