Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fortnite Champ Bugha Swatted Live On Stream - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageFortnite Champ Bugha Swatted Live On Stream - MMORPG.com

It appears Kyle "Bugha" Giersdorf, Fortnite's newest world champ at just 16 years of age, was a victim of swatting.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 136
    I hope they catch the guy, and make a big example out of him.

Glad the family was okay.
    SovrathwingoodfoppoteeElendengelTacticalZombehHatefullZenJellyGrunt350Valdheim
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Unless law enforcement CHANGES their ways,this will always be an extremely dangerous prank on innocent victims.

Sure we only see the one person to blame but that person is only a proponent to the result which can at times create violent cops charging in on innocent people in their homes.

I do NOT believe in the EXCUSE used by all law enforcement....."we got a call about suspicious activity,so it is our duty to act".

Well first hey should have a protocol that PROTECTS innocent people and not automatically assume guilt based on a phone call.

Imagine if that was how our court systems operated,based on a phone call?Yeah exactly,NOBODY would agree that is a just system,so then why is it ok that law enforcement operates under that same pretense?I am sure many have by now seen a growing concern how law enforcement has been operating,from racial problems to simply harrassing people unjustly.It seems all they need is a phone call<<<improper way to function as a very important entity in our society,a very high paid entity,millions of dollars from every municipality.we ..I expect better.<br />
    Sure SOME cops have a lot of common sense but man o man,ever since we have seen the cameras turned on we are finally seeing how many bad cops are out there.

LEt me put in a simpler manner,how would you feel if the cops ran in and started thumping your son or daughter,causing a lot of bodily harm,then handcuffing him/her without any warning or just cause?You cannot assume guilt based on someone else's accusations...EVER.
    Point being there is a two fold problem,the one's that start the attack and law enforcement.Well we are NEVER going to stop people from acting retarded,so the change has to happen on law enforcement's end.
    giftkastareAalamrbcbullywormed[Deleted User]StormBKidRiskWhiskeydustswagholePhryand 5 others.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Guess it's the price of gaming celebrity these days, asshats everywhere messing with your life.

Me, I'd rather have to deal with sex starved female supermodel stalkers but this cop stuff is way too dangerous. ;)

Sounds like the police reaction was a bit tempered, they let the father go get his son, rather than storm the house, but as mentioned, likely due to one officer recognizing the victim.

Would be great if they caught the jerks who did it, probably only possible if the perps were total nimrods.

foppoteePhryHatefullAlexander.B

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VicusEQVicusEQ Member UncommonPosts: 103
    So...I'm a cop and your comment is just uneducated Wizardy. Swat/cops just dont run into a house because there is something "suspicious". It's because someone called 911 and yelled something drastically crazy like OMG they killed my family please come help or OMG they have guns and are coming up the stairs. In those situations as a cop...what are you suppose to do? Wait outside...make 30 phone calls to confirm this is "real" while someone is being murdered inside? What if that was your family inside with a REAL criminal and needed that split second decision to act to save them. There is a reason why cops are suppose to rush into a school shooting because faster action saves lives vice allowing a shooter to just roam free until everyone is "ready".

Even when bad things happen from swatting (very very rare) it is always better to assume the worse then wait for everything to be tripled check before acting. Majority of the things you see on the news isn't even swatting..its usually a legit warrant being served on a wrong house. Then you are an officer you are told bad guy in this house..we have a warrant..make sure everyone goes in and comes out safe. Mistakes happen (apparently often with Russian nuclear projects). Cops aren't perfect but educate yourself...something more then watching Fox news and CNN. When is the last time you talked with an Officer? They have meet and greets twice a month at 90% of the departments in the country. An Officer will speak freely with you on almost every issue and answer your questions without hesitation because we much rather community know the truth not assume how things are.
    KyleranGroqstronggiftkastareAalamrjordiincraasSoulsemmerKidRiskflizzerswagholePhryand 11 others.
    And just a small follow-up. Police training is an multiple time a month deal. You just don't pass the acedemy and thats it..go learn on your own. We practice scenarios and have drills all the time. On major calls we have after-actions meetings to see what we did well in and how we can improve for next time always trying to find better ways to improve safety. Yes even cops have their 5% just like...google..walmart..military...politics..office depot..."insert EVERY business in the world". We all have people who slip thru the cracks and make massive mistakes that effect everyone but the difference is when a cop makes a mistake its on every channel on every cable network and every major website. When the other 95% do something amazing and good...its on page 8 covered in 1 paragraph.

It's kinda funny because as a first responder you actually work with fire fighters and paramedics all the time. I lost count the times I've seen Firefighters get lost going to calls.....break down the door of a wrong house (because they got the address wrong and broke into a home where they thought someone was having a stroke or something)...or damaged someone driveway/fence/ect. I've seen paramedics drop patients or miss a vein like 20 times trying to start an IV but besides internal complaints (a cop having to report what they see), nothing happens to them and NOTHING gets put on CNN/Fox news in very misleading headings. Let me leave you with this...going off the assumption that everyone has their 5% losers. When a cop shoots someone of another color ..its all over the news..White officer shoots such and such. How many times do you think there is a firefighter/paramedic who doesn't give their all to a patient that is a criminal...or drug addict..ect. When the call comes in and it says 3 year old not breathing...everyone is coming beyond fast to save them. When the call comes in...32 year old male with possible drug overdose....do you think they are racing to save the day? 95% of us..are actually racing to save the day...but everyone has their 5% that arent. But sadly cops are on the news 24/7 now because of it. I suggest everyone watches Live PD. That is 100 times better education on what police work is really like..over some small bias article you read on the internet.
    giftkastareAalamrjordiincraasSoulsemmer[Deleted User]KidRisklotrloreflizzerswagholePhryand 4 others.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

VicusEQ said:

So...I'm a cop and your comment is just uneducated Wizardy. Swat/cops just dont run into a house because there is something "suspicious". It's because someone called 911 and yelled something drastically crazy like OMG they killed my family please come help or OMG they have guns and are coming up the stairs. In those situations as a cop...what are you suppose to do? Wait outside...make 30 phone calls to confirm this is "real" while someone is being murdered inside? What if that was your family inside with a REAL criminal and needed that split second decision to act to save them. There is a reason why cops are suppose to rush into a school shooting because faster action saves lives vice allowing a shooter to just roam free until everyone is "ready".

Even when bad things happen from swatting (very very rare) it is always better to assume the worse then wait for everything to be tripled check before acting. Majority of the things you see on the news isn't even swatting..its usually a legit warrant being served on a wrong house. Then you are an officer you are told bad guy in this house..we have a warrant..make sure everyone goes in and comes out safe. Mistakes happen (apparently often with Russian nuclear projects). Cops aren't perfect but educate yourself...something more then watching Fox news and CNN. When is the last time you talked with an Officer? They have meet and greets twice a month at 90% of the departments in the country. An Officer will speak freely with you on almost every issue and answer your questions without hesitation because we much rather community know the truth not assume how things are.

He's just trolling man. I'm surprised he didn't bring up FF11 in some analogy.
    Asm0deusXarkoTacticalZombehThupli
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Wizardry said:
    Unless law enforcement CHANGES their ways,this will always be an extremely dangerous prank on innocent victims.

Sure we only see the one person to blame but that person is only a proponent to the result which can at times create violent cops charging in on innocent people in their homes.

I do NOT believe in the EXCUSE used by all law enforcement....."we got a call about suspicious activity,so it is our duty to act".

Well first hey should have a protocol that PROTECTS innocent people and not automatically assume guilt based on a phone call.

Imagine if that was how our court systems operated,based on a phone call?Yeah exactly,NOBODY would agree that is a just system,so then why is it ok that law enforcement operates under that same pretense?I am sure many have by now seen a growing concern how law enforcement has been operating,from racial problems to simply harrassing people unjustly.It seems all they need is a phone call<<
    Sure SOME cops have a lot of common sense but man o man,ever since we have seen the cameras turned on we are finally seeing how many bad cops are out there.

LEt me put in a simpler manner,how would you feel if the cops ran in and started thumping your son or daughter,causing a lot of bodily harm,then handcuffing him/her without any warning or just cause?You cannot assume guilt based on someone else's accusations...EVER.
    Point being there is a two fold problem,the one's that start the attack and law enforcement.Well we are NEVER going to stop people from acting retarded,so the change has to happen on law enforcement's end.
    Blah blah blah. Dude, you have no clue what you are talking about. I am not sure what planet you live on, but people get killed on this one all the time if it were my neighbor being assaulted and I called law enforcement and was told: "we need you to prove there is a crime being committed" I would lose my friggin mind.

The reason swatting works is due to the diligence of the Law enforcement officers. If they treat everything like a joke, we will end up with a lot of dead cops. Do they need to go in guns blazing? Well, that depends on the situation but more often than not they use a soft approach as that tends to net more fish. Hundreds of warrants and forced entries are conducted weekly and we only hear about a very few because no one dies, no homes explode etc.

There are bad cops, for certain, but for the most part, it is just women and men trying to do the best they can to provide for their families.

I bet the tensest situation you have even been in is hoping you make it to the can before you soil your Huggies.
    SoulsemmerPhryTacticalZombehgunklacker

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Sounds like the police acted appropriately in this situation especially compared to that last swatting incident where the dad, I think it was, got shot dead due to a nervous cop with a twitchy finger.

The person making the fake emergency call needs to be tracked down which shouldn't be that hard if the call was made to 911 and get his arse chewed by the law.
    foppoteeWhiskeydustwingoodTacticalZombehHatefullValdheim

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508

Asm0deus said:

Sounds like the police acted appropriately in this situation especially compared to that last swatting incident where the dad, I think it was, got shot dead due to a nervous cop with a twitchy finger.

The person making the fake emergency call needs to be tracked down which shouldn't be that hard if the call was made to 911 and get his arse chewed by the law.

I think that was in Oklahoma where that happened sadly. This abhorrent trend is just another caveat where law enforcement need to have recurrent training & the correct mind-set & even then sometimes it will go sideways no matter the circumstances. I hope they find the person & prosecute to the max.
    Asm0deuswingood
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    harsher penalties and mandatory 10+ year sentence for this would stop morons doing this
    HatefullrojoArcueid
  • donzin08donzin08 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited August 2019

VicusEQ said:

Not even gonna comment at all, just wanting to make this short and sweet because some of us still care.

@VicusEQ thank you sir for all that you do. I can't imagine what it's like being a cop in today's society, but I am very privileged that you are still willing to deal with all that comes your way and still continue to do the right thing (not just you but the rest of the 95%) Thank you, and know that there are still plenty of us out here who believe, support, and trust you.
    WhiskeydustPhryTacticalZombehHatefullmillux[Deleted User]Melecon
  • WhiskeydustWhiskeydust Member UncommonPosts: 79

Wizardry said:

Imagine if that was how our court systems operated,based on a phone call?Yeah exactly,NOBODY would agree that is a just system,so then why is it ok that law enforcement operates under that same pretense?I am sure many have by now seen a growing concern how law enforcement has been operating,from racial problems to simply harrassing people unjustly.It seems all they need is a phone call<<<improper way to function as a very important entity in our society,a very high paid entity,millions of dollars from every municipality.we ..I expect better.<br />

Holy shit dude..you don't have a clue.
    And if your an American...please for Christs sake go back to school
    Hatefull
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    just quit streaming, u got 3 million.
    HatefullblackthornnrojoArcueid
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited August 2019

VicusEQ said:

OMG THERE IS A BAD GUY IN THE WHITE HOUSE!
    HE IS TAKING HOSTAGES, A HOLE COUNTRY!

legit, aye? soooo. you gotta react now! bc i said so! must be true.

uh and just did a quick google search on "school shooting averted by police" aaaaand.... not too many results, most have been averted by citizens ^^

you justify those actions? cool. your prob i guess. quite happy i don't live in the states.
    if a cop doesn't see the prob... then there is no help comming i guess
    KyleranPhryTacticalZombehHatefullmilluxmmolouMelecon

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited August 2019
    Thane said:

VicusEQ said:

uh and just did a quick google search on "school shooting averted by police" aaaaand.... not too many results, most have been averted by citizens ^^

you justify those actions? cool. your prob i guess. quite happy i don't live in the states.
    What I see is once the shooting starts it's the police who run towards the source of the gun fire and take the lunatic down in 32 seconds.  Heroes all.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/26-shot-32-seconds-details-videos-released-dayton/story?id=64953910

PhryTacticalZombehHatefullmillux

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited August 2019

Thane said

What I find ironic is your perma quote 
    "I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"
    Because this statement and your quote leans me to believe that you live in a very tiny bubble and don't know the ways of the real world.  But I'll elaborate because it appears my generalization on some topics wasn't broken down enough for you to come up with a sensible conclusion.

When a 911 call comes in there is a dispatcher that answers the phone with a very complicated phone system that hears things that you don't normally hear during a normal phone conversation.  When it sounds like a priority 1 call comes in like...please help me someone just kicked in my back door and I hear them roaming around the house...or I just heard gunshots and my backdoor being kicked in...at this time multiple dispatchers listen in on the call.  So now you have multiple people screening the call to see if it's legit.  For every 20 "swatted" calls maybe 1 of them is found to be possibly credible because we can tell when it's someone is lying because we deal with people lying to us on a daily basis. So no...we don't rush the White House just because some random guy says what you typed and mostly because you hate our country (I read like your past 5 post and 3 of them you confessed your love for America "sarcasm").

Now back to swatting.  So now the call has cleared the dispatchers and they believe it is "possible" this is a legit call.  EVEN if it is considered a prank we normally drive by the area just to do an area check to confirm because better safe then sorry.  I didn't say we kicked down the door just to be "safe".  If a cop or swat team goes inside a home it a very serious situation for us.  We are intruding on someones 4th amendment rights to privacy. But if we show up to the house...there are multiple cars in the driveway, no one is answering the door..appears the lights are on...we hear movement inside...and STILL no one is answering us knocking on the door....or attempts to call inside the home (we do have records that show who lives in there via drivers license and while we are driving there multiple dispatchers are trying to call inside).  So after all these attempts and observations (which are happening while police are responding to save time)...we decide to go in because we HAVE to assume that there is a bad guy/girl in the house.  If we go in with a lazy this is a nothing call...it will get us killed or someone we know killed because that 1 time its 100% legit is the time you dont want to walk in with your gun in your holster talking about what you are going to do when you get off work because you think the call is a joke.

But yes sadly many times the reason the lights are on, cars are in the driveway, and no one is responding to us is because some teen is wearing headphones obvious to the world because he binges into Fortnite without a care for the world.

Now there are other factors that you will never understand because you have never walked 1 foot in my shoes just as there are things I wouldn't understand unless I walked in yours.  But in my shoes..being a cop in a very large city..there are break-ins nightly.  My city gets nearly 900,000 911 calls a year that a police officer is dispatched too.  Everything from domestic violence (like 20 calls on this a day), rape, burglary, overdose, shop lifting, home alarms, to just someone having a mental breakdown and wants to talk to police.  These calls are credible and we go there and fix the situation.  I handle around 14 calls a day with 95% of them being credible calls.  So when a call that someone is in the house harming someone comes in...pretty sure after seeing the the best side of humanity all day long (once again sarcasm)...I am not inclined to assume that this call is just some prank. (Btw the person doesn't take the blame 99% of the time...the cops get all the flack because we are suppose to be perfect).  Continue.....
    LimnicTacticalZombehHatefullmilluxKyleranSovrath
    edited August 2019
    Also since you use google so well for your scientific and accurate research..google how many cops have died to fake 911 call ambushes.  You know the ones where they say..my home was broken into and I want to report it.  Nothing big just broken window and looks like they took my T.V.  So a cop shows up to take a report for someone and next thing you know the guy at the house opens fire on us or comes out on the lawn with a gun just to suicide by cop.  Imagine going to a couple of calls like that a year then ask yourself would you just casually stroll up to a house when someone calls 911 and says they hear gunfire and I think my family is being killed..or someone is in my house?

Last two notes since it was mentioned.  The Wichita shooting (which we did have training on because it was such a big case even thou it wasn't our city) came to the same conclusion nationwide by police.  There was very little we could do and it WASNT our fault.  They got a call that a guy killed his father...had the family hostage and was going to burn down the house.  So when the police arrive and setup a perimeter on the house...they got on a loud speaker and gave VERY clear verbal commands to the male the exited the house.  The cops believed this to be the guy who just killed his father AND poured gasoline in the house.  So two things...this guy was standing at the doorway pointing at cops but not leaving his doorway.  It appeared he was trying to give himself room to get back into the house if he needed. So instead of doing what the cops were saying..he was doing things no one should never do when confronted by the police..like point your fingers at them or reach down into your pockets ect.  But the KEY thing that was going thru the officers mind was...if I let this guy back into the house he is going to set the place on fire where the hostages are.  You have the supposed bad guy on the porch away from hostages AND hes reaching into his pants where we assume he has the gun...the cop decided to shoot because at the time he thought he was saving the lives of the people inside and because he thought the guy was reaching for a gun.  If the guy would of just sat on the porch and talked to officers they would of continued to have dialogue...but he didn't he acted like SOMEONE in mental distress...like someone who had just shot his father.  Obviously hindsight we realize it was some douche-bag who called and faked everything.  

Lastly, school shootings. You googled averted school shootings and found that not many are averted by cops.  So this one is a good example of how cops see things and how someone who isn't sees things.  When you call 911 you expect a cop to be there in 2 minutes saving the day and when no one is hurt that is the ONLY time a cop will get praise.  School shootings are horrible and it doesn't matter where it happens if a person comes into a crowded place with a gun they are going to cause lose of life because THEY always have the upper hand.  They know when they are going to strike, how, and cops are always playing catch-up because we can't read minds.  During the Columbine shooting it was an hour from the time the police got the call till they breached the school.  Because back then we dealt with the call as a HOSTAGE situation.  Totally different type of call because school shootings we rent happening..and weren't a thing yet. After that incident law enforcement across the nation changed their tactics.  Now we rush in (intelligently ..but rush none the less).  Because the sad reality you fail to grasp is that..if we rushed into columbine it would of saved 10 lives.  How do we know that?  Because the shooters went into a library after first entering the school shooting about 20 minutes later and killed 10 people in the library.  So if officers would of rushed it could of saved those students because they wouldn't of been able to just roam freely with no worries.

So police going into school shootings with a different mindset...we aren't there to PREVENT a shooting from happening....we are there to MINIMIZE how many people the shooter can kill.  We are already behind the curve if a student has open fire.  Our job is to rush in and stop the shooter from roaming the halls carefree and taking lives at free will.  If the shooter kills is hiding from us or running from us that is 10x better then him trying to enter every classroom.  We are still going to see dead children which effect us more then you know..but what motivates us to run into gunfire is that we can hopefully save children that would of been shot had we waited for "swat" to arrive.

It's early in the morning and felt good to get that off my chest because well..it gets old hearing how crappy cops are by people who have zero clue what we do.  Even if this doesn't change your mind about cops..hopefully someone read it and understands its not all about looking cool and carrying a gun.
    LimnicTacticalZombehHatefullmilluxKyleran
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Civilian intervention or "aversion" is also not particularly common.

In relation to the article. I'm just disappointed in people that think abusing police and making false reports to harass or troll another person is remotely acceptable. 
    gunklackerHatefullKyleran
    edited August 2019
    Sorry this was so long but had one more things the public doesn't really know or care about but police have to every day now.  About 10 years ago suicide by cop (Call the police and let them shoot you because you cant do it yourself) started to increase.  Because of that the police usually get quarterly or annual training on how to deal with situations like these.  We have started to become so good at it the people who are just looking for attention are taken into custody without incident and taken to hospitals for be evaluated by a doctor.  BUT the sad truth is that the people with mental health history who have tried to kill themselves this way and failed are now not giving us a chance anymore to talk them out of it.  These people have "caught onto our ways" and when we go to them trying to convince them to not kill themselves they are not waiting for dialog and are just opening fire on us they want to die.  Once again the person who knows they are about to kill someone and shoot ALWAYS has the upper hand because their reaction time for acting will always be faster then ours reacting.

That is something else a police officer in today's society has to be mindful of going to every mental health distress call.  When a cop gets nervous because of this and pulls the trigger to fast it will be all over the news nationwide because he acted out of fear (yes we do get scared) but when a cop dies because someone opened fire on us so we will shoot them...it will only be on the local news.  
    LimnicTacticalZombehHatefullmilluxKyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Back in the day we just slagged each other off online, now the done thing is to call the cops on them. But don't worry guys the world is definitely not getting crazier by the day.
    gunklackerHatefullKyleran
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited August 2019

Kratier said:

harsher penalties and mandatory 10+ year sentence for this would stop morons doing this

No it wouldn’t.
    kenguru23

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Hope they get the arsehole.

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Trying to blame cops for any of this action is the same thing people do to the women who was dress to sexy and it was the reason she got raped. cops just doing there job here.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Thane said:

VicusEQ said:

Your uneducated and insane rambling aside, "averted by Citizens" Exactly, this is exactly why we need more trained and armed citizens. Police Officers cannot be everywhere. Good point, thanks for posting that. The rest is just immature hyperbole.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Wizardry said:

If they don't act quickly and it was actually an emergency then it's possible a lot of people will be hurt. 
    KyleranrojoArcueid
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo