Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Walmart no longer selling video games (Discussion)

Comments

• ash667ash667 Member UncommonPosts: 28

I follow you when you say that we avoid the problem by seeking an answer; that gets away from 'what is'. 

So, I want to know how to look at `what is'.

Now, we are trying to find out if it is possible to transcend violence. We were saying: `Do not escape from it; do not move away from that central fact of violence.' The question was asked: `How do you know it is violence?' Do you know it only because you are able to recognize it as having been violence? But when you look at it without naming, without justifying or condemning (which are all the conditioning of the past) then you are looking at it afresh - are you not? Then is it violence? This is one of the most difficult things to do, because all our living is conditioned by the past.
    Do you know what it is to live in the present?

You say,`Be free of violence' - that includes a lot more; how far does freedom go?

Go into freedom; what does it mean? There are all the deep down angers, frustrations, resistances; the mind must also be free of those, must it not? I am asking: can the mind be free of active violence in the present, be free of all the unconscious accumulations of hate, anger, bitterness, which are there, deep down? How is this to be done?

If one is free of this violence in oneself, then when one sees violence outside of oneself, is one not depressed? What is one to do?

What one is to do is to teach another. Teaching another is the highest profession in the world - not for money, not for your big bank account, but just to teach, to tell others.  What is the easiest way to...

What is the easiest way?.... (Laughter.)... A circus! Sir, you teach another and by teaching you are learning yourself. It is not that first you have learnt, accumulated, then you inform. You yourself are violent; understanding yourself is to help another to understand himself, therefore the teaching is the learning. You do not see the beauty of all this.

So, let us go on. Do you not want to know from your heart what love is? Has it not been the human cry, for millenia, to find out how to live peacefully, how to have real abundance of love, compassion. That can only come into being when there is the real sense of 'non-me', you understand. And we say: Look, to find that out - whether it is from loneliness, or anger, or bitterness - look, without any escape. The escape is the naming of it, so do not name it, look at it. And then see - not naming - if bitterness exists.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,164
    edited August 11
    Video games are everywhere.

If they were the cause why aren't these mass shootings everywhere also then?

They are not the cause. Just an easy target for an excuse.

Anyway, who cares about Walmart? Who buys physical copies of games now still?
    AlBQuirky
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,039
    What walmart is saying with this statement? We make alot more off of guns than we do off of video games......
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,063
    What walmart is saying with this statement? We make alot more off of guns than we do off of video games......
    Maybe what they are saying is "We think that if Texans want to legally arm themselves to protect their families from a similar situation we will help them do so".
    OG_ZorvanKyleranSandmanjwAlBQuirky

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,663
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Utinni said:
    Ungood said:

And by this, even if we took away the gun, we would not change the mentality of people that want to kill and hurt other people.

Just a thought to ponder among all this.
    Have you looked at the murder rates of major nations with strict gun laws? Just curious babe. 

Probably just coincidence!

Let's find out shall we?

In 2012 Venezuela banned private gun ownership

Yet in 2017 they ranked third highest on the world wide murder rate.

How about Jamaica, known to have very strict gun control laws....ooops, number 2 on the homicide list.

Maybe you meant El Salvador? No private ownership of guns permitted.  Damn, number one on the homicide list, how can this be?

Perhaps there's a bit of a flaw in your hypothesis?

Its true, we have a problem to solve, but note the US is number 89 on the list, not great of course, and worse than EU nations, but banning guns doesn't necessarily ensure they go away.

Cherry picking facts out of context to misrepresent the truth is pretty lame dude. What you did there is push a lie to promote your agenda and win the argument. The fact is that the countries with the lowest murder rates have strict weapon and firearm laws. Is it so important to you for your side to win that you would pervert the truth just to get your way?

There is no way in hell any civilians could stand against the modern US military. You've bought the Red Dawn lie.

But you're right about one thing, Americans will keep killing each other until we get tired of it. Nothing will change until then.
    Oh my...more fun facts then...eight of the top 15 countries with the most guns per person are in...Europe.....in countries with homicide rates by gun are so low they actually are at zero.  (Iceland)

Canada is also in the top 15, yet again one of the lowest in homicides.

Maybe, just maybe there are some other socio economic factors which come into play which when combined with ready access to firearms results in higher homicide rates. Or maybe Americans are just fking crazy....I dunno.

BTW, Uruguay is also in the top 15 list, yet it also has lower homicide rate and way lower murder by guns than the US.

https://www.deseretnews.com/top/2519/0/15-nations-with-the-highest-gun-ownership.html

Weird. 
    And which of those countries has lax weapons and firearms laws?
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

It only took 3 people 8 words to rock Blizzard to its core.
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    AlBQuirky said:
    Ungood said:
    Since it happened in a Walmart that sells guns, it's a pity no one thought to run to the sporting good section, grab a gun and shoot back.
    "Damned these locked display cases!"
    Now.. wanna hear irony... if you go into Walmart, notice that Hardware is right next to the Sporting Goods.. egro, They put the hammers right next to the glass gun display cases.

Like the people who set up the store were hinting.. in case of emergency break glass.. 
    AlBQuirky
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,614
    Next thing they will make it illegal to kill people and everything will be solved !
    AlBQuirky
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,341
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Utinni said:
    Ungood said:

And by this, even if we took away the gun, we would not change the mentality of people that want to kill and hurt other people.

Just a thought to ponder among all this.
    Have you looked at the murder rates of major nations with strict gun laws? Just curious babe. 

Probably just coincidence!

Let's find out shall we?

In 2012 Venezuela banned private gun ownership

Yet in 2017 they ranked third highest on the world wide murder rate.

How about Jamaica, known to have very strict gun control laws....ooops, number 2 on the homicide list.

Maybe you meant El Salvador? No private ownership of guns permitted.  Damn, number one on the homicide list, how can this be?

Perhaps there's a bit of a flaw in your hypothesis?

Its true, we have a problem to solve, but note the US is number 89 on the list, not great of course, and worse than EU nations, but banning guns doesn't necessarily ensure they go away.

Cherry picking facts out of context to misrepresent the truth is pretty lame dude. What you did there is push a lie to promote your agenda and win the argument. The fact is that the countries with the lowest murder rates have strict weapon and firearm laws. Is it so important to you for your side to win that you would pervert the truth just to get your way?

There is no way in hell any civilians could stand against the modern US military. You've bought the Red Dawn lie.

But you're right about one thing, Americans will keep killing each other until we get tired of it. Nothing will change until then.
    Oh my...more fun facts then...eight of the top 15 countries with the most guns per person are in...Europe.....in countries with homicide rates by gun are so low they actually are at zero.  (Iceland)

Canada is also in the top 15, yet again one of the lowest in homicides.

Maybe, just maybe there are some other socio economic factors which come into play which when combined with ready access to firearms results in higher homicide rates. Or maybe Americans are just fking crazy....I dunno.

BTW, Uruguay is also in the top 15 list, yet it also has lower homicide rate and way lower murder by guns than the US.

https://www.deseretnews.com/top/2519/0/15-nations-with-the-highest-gun-ownership.html

Weird. 
    But, there is a big catch to those numbers. The US have more than twice, and in most case more than four times the number of guns per citizen. So, yeah, they are in the top 15, but none of those countries have gun ownership numbers even close to the US.

If you take that difference into account, you start to a much higher covariance between number of guns and gun killings.

Also, the numbers vary a lot, depending on source. Alternate source: http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/fileadmin/docs/T-Briefing-Papers/SAS-BP-Civilian-Firearms-Numbers.pdf
    lahnmir said:
    Thanks @Ungood and @Slapshot1188 for your explanation. As you both are well aware I am not from the USA, I know about the general rules and regulations, not the finer details. Also thanks for sharing your thoughts without resorting to finger pointing or name calling

Going from a gun having country to a no gun country is incredibly complex and brings its own issues with it, that I fully understand, this is besides the legal means to do so and the willingness to give up your rights. My actual question is simply why, why do civilians need guns? And the reasons given surprise me.

I think looking at country and population size is the wrong way to look at it, you need to look at things percentage wise. A much more interesting metric then population size for instance would be population density, and on that the USA rates pretty low. I am from the Netherlands and thats a densily populated country with a huge cultural and ethnical diversity, these aren’t reasons to need guns. We have also been in plenty of wars and have a history about 5x as long as the USA.

I do however sense a lot of distrust in governing bodies or ‘other’ parties, the idea of needing weapons to resist the government when needed seems ludacris to me, and I am talking about that from the perspective of normal western countries then, not heavily corrupted ones or ones suffering from, say, heavy drug problems.

In short, the reasons aren’t really valid from where I stand but that is ok, I am not a US citizen. However, when everybody can buy guns and use them people shouldn’t be surprised when they can, and will, also be used by those with worse judgement then you for reasons you, or society, might not agree with. I keep making the same ‘joke’ but if everybody and his dog could easily buy and walk around with a flamethrower, would there be more fire related incidents? And heavy gun regulations and limitations will be a problem for the gun industry and definitely resisted by them, they want to make money after all, they’re in the business of selling as much guns as possible and when looking at the number of fire arms going around they are doing an amazing job. That includes selling the ‘need’ to own a gun.

But, as has been pointed out, I am just an outsider looking in, I don’t own the truth. I am just bewildered by the reactions to gun violence, everything gets blamed and pointed at, except the murder weapons themselves.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Well, you can keep making that joke about flamethrowers, I won't stop you, but as you do so, keep in mind in that in America, Flamethrowers count as "Arms" and thus are protected under the 2nd, as such, in America everyone and their dog can buy a flamethrower.. wonder why we don't talk more about that?

SandmanjwlahnmircheyaneKyleran
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,832
    Ungood said:
    lahnmir said:
    Thanks @Ungood and @Slapshot1188 for your explanation. As you both are well aware I am not from the USA, I know about the general rules and regulations, not the finer details. Also thanks for sharing your thoughts without resorting to finger pointing or name calling

Going from a gun having country to a no gun country is incredibly complex and brings its own issues with it, that I fully understand, this is besides the legal means to do so and the willingness to give up your rights. My actual question is simply why, why do civilians need guns? And the reasons given surprise me.

I think looking at country and population size is the wrong way to look at it, you need to look at things percentage wise. A much more interesting metric then population size for instance would be population density, and on that the USA rates pretty low. I am from the Netherlands and thats a densily populated country with a huge cultural and ethnical diversity, these aren’t reasons to need guns. We have also been in plenty of wars and have a history about 5x as long as the USA.

I do however sense a lot of distrust in governing bodies or ‘other’ parties, the idea of needing weapons to resist the government when needed seems ludacris to me, and I am talking about that from the perspective of normal western countries then, not heavily corrupted ones or ones suffering from, say, heavy drug problems.

In short, the reasons aren’t really valid from where I stand but that is ok, I am not a US citizen. However, when everybody can buy guns and use them people shouldn’t be surprised when they can, and will, also be used by those with worse judgement then you for reasons you, or society, might not agree with. I keep making the same ‘joke’ but if everybody and his dog could easily buy and walk around with a flamethrower, would there be more fire related incidents? And heavy gun regulations and limitations will be a problem for the gun industry and definitely resisted by them, they want to make money after all, they’re in the business of selling as much guns as possible and when looking at the number of fire arms going around they are doing an amazing job. That includes selling the ‘need’ to own a gun.

But, as has been pointed out, I am just an outsider looking in, I don’t own the truth. I am just bewildered by the reactions to gun violence, everything gets blamed and pointed at, except the murder weapons themselves.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Well, you can keep making that joke about flamethrowers, I won't stop you, but as you do so, keep in mind in that in America, Flamethrowers count as "Arms" and thus are protected under the 2nd, as such, in America everyone and their dog can buy a flamethrower.. wonder why we don't talk more about that?

No way..... I don’t know if that is awesome or a serious WTF moment tbh. So you can buy those at a lot of places too? A flamethrower counts as arms, do bazookas too then? So many questions, and the answers keep surprising me.

We don’t talk about flamethrowers more because they are difficult to conceal of course, you can’t put that one under your coat. Or am I going to get a link to a mini portable flamethrower taking care of that “problem” too?

Fascinating stuff, I’ve been to the USA a couple of times but I have much to learn it seems  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    You lot all carry portable flamethrowers. How do you light your cigarettes? Matches?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    lahnmir said:
    Ungood said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

No way..... I don’t know if that is awesome or a serious WTF moment tbh. So you can buy those at a lot of places too? A flamethrower counts as arms, do bazookas too then? So many questions, and the answers keep surprising me.

We don’t talk about flamethrowers more because they are difficult to conceal of course, you can’t put that one under your coat. Or am I going to get a link to a mini portable flamethrower taking care of that “problem” too?

Fascinating stuff, I’ve been to the USA a couple of times but I have much to learn it seems  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    The negatives get a lot of MSM attention for obvious reasons, but what doesn't get talked about, or reported by MSM etc. is the number of attacks that are prevented by firearms, its significantly higher after all just from the FBI statistics, but its off narrative so its an 'inconvenient truth' as they say. :/
    AlBQuirkyUngood
  • MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 126
    edited August 12
    Billion dollar Video game companies are not running a robust push back campaign against this nonsense about video games causing mass shootings at their own risk.

Japanese spend more money on games and play more than Americans, why don't they go on a rampage to kill dozens of people?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Multibyte said:
    Billion dollar Video game companies are not running a robust push back campaign against this nonsense about video games causing mass shootings at their own risk.

Japanese spend more money on games and play more than Americans, why don't they go on a rampage to kill dozens of people?
    Because its never been about video games, its always been about 'ideologies' and to a degree, 'mental health' issues.
    Video game developers/publishers are more concerned about loot boxes/gambling than they are mass shootings, because there is already scientific proof they can fall back on to prove there is no link between video games and mass shooters, or violent behaviour for that matter.
    There is however increasing amounts of scientific evidence supporting a causational link between certain game mechanics and gambling.
    As for the Japanese, i am afraid you would not like the answer as to why they have less of a problem of that nature, it is so far off narrative that you dare not even mention it. :/
    AlBQuirkyklash2def
  • ThaneThane Member RarePosts: 3,425
    edited August 12
    Multibyte said:

this whole discussion is a waste of time, and walmart is run by idiots as it seems.
    seems like the american story to me ;)

we know games don't start mass shooting, shooters do, and they usualy do that with guns, not with games.

sooooo... why are we even having this talk here?

"it's my right to own a gun!!!!!11111elevenelevenelvdwarf"
    but you can be restricted from... buying... games? and we SERIOUSLY need a discussion about that topic?

uh and do me a favor, if your answer is "yes"... just... don't.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,419
    Thane said:
    Multibyte said:

this whole discussion is a waste of time, and walmart is run by idiots as it seems.

we know games don't start mass shooting, shooters do, and they usualy do that with guns, not with games.

but you can be restricted from... buying... games? and we SERIOUSLY need a discussion about that topic?

well... ummm... it is kind of hard to have "MASS SHOOTINGS" with baseball bats or knives, right? I have heard of "mass gaming", though I don't think anyone died :)

Video games don't kill people, people do. Just like guns. People load guns. People pull triggers. People shoot with intent to kill.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

(And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

lahnmir said:
    Ungood said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    There are some restrictions on the flamethrowers, due to safety issues with the flammable gas, but the weapon itself can be purchased by anyone, obviously places like Walmart doesn't carry them as they are simply not a popular item to buy, but yah, online retailers and specialty stores carry and sell them. 

There is a direct restriction (that came about in like the 40's during WWI, if I am correct.) , that limited the purchasing of heavy ordnance weapons by non-military, IE: Tanks, Rocket Launchers, etc, and the like. While in America you can still buy a tank, the main cannon needs to be disabled.

Currently, there are licences that civilians can get that allow them to purchase heavy artillery, like 50 caliber fully automatic weapons, rocket launchers, and the like  (like you see in the movies) in these cases, they are often professional companies (like Props and Special Effects organizations).

But prior to that, yah, anything was fair game. All Arms were Open to be bought by the Civilians. As such, until the passing of the restriction on the heavy ordnance, if you could afford it, you could buy it.

And yes, American do own a lot of military grade stuff, like tanks, helicopters, 10 ton trucks, humvee's, (in fact HumVees were so popular, that they made the Hummer just for civilians, much like the Jeep as well) . And while a lot of military stuff has found its way into american households, Keep in mind an Apache Helicopter carris like a 21 million price tag, so obviously not everyone owns one. 
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,458
    edited August 12
    Orthelian said:
    mbrodie said:

nice theory, except basically none of these mass shooters are ever stopped by good guys with guns, they are almost always apprehended or killed by police later, you know why....
    Except that's not at all true. They are attempted in areas where armed civilians are present, and they are stopped with few to no casualties. Far fewer than when they have to wait around getting shot until police arrive...

Of course it's understandable you wouldn't know about it, because only major incidents typically make national news, and the whole point here is that they were prevented from becoming major incidents. But they are documented, if you look into it. Here's an FBI report for just 2016-2017, for instance.

Then one day there's huge casualties in a gun-free zone where people are free to just get mowed down defenselessly, and somehow we're surprised.
    8 out of 50 shooters according to your link were stopped by citizens.  Note:  It doesn't say they were stopped by ARMED citizens.  I'm reading some of the specific incident descriptions and at least some of them were the shooters surrendering or stopped by unarmed civilians (Townville elementary school, West Liberty Salem, Freeman High School)

...I read through all 50 of them.  Now, 50 is a lot so it's possible I missed some, but the only one of those 50 incidents I could find where an armed civilian stopped the gunman was Burnette Chapel and the civilian only had the time to retrieve his gun from the car (cause bystanders don't bring their guns into church) because the gunman idiotically shot himself earlier (lol?).

So.... in 1 out of 50 mass shootings, an armed civilian stopped the gun man and "saved the day" after the gunman shot six other people and after the gunman already shot himself.

....................YAAAAAY GUNS.

I suggest reading any links you post before claiming they support your point.  I think most reasonable people wouldn't consider 1 out of 50 shootings stopped by an armed citizen (...after the shooter already shot himself) to show guns to be a particularly useful contributer to stopping mass shootings.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,745
    I can't remember the last time I bought a game from a brick and mortar store. 
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,975
    Ungood said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Actually portable flame throwers are consider tools for clearing land, at least that's how they get away with selling them in my state. (Same excuse for fireworks sales btw, for scaring crows or what not)

That said, buying one is somewhat regulated much as the purchase of bulk quantities of silver nitrate, a person better have 10 acres being farmed or they likely will come under scrutiny. 

Interestingly enough, there is such a thing as flame thrower shot gun shells which are illegal here, same with shells which fire flechettes, bolos and other crazy ass ordinance.

We apparently want our killing done the "right way" with high powered armor piercing rounds or something.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,063
    Thane said:
    Multibyte said:

I don’t think you quite understand how the US Constitution works.  There is no Constitutional Right to play video games.  

If you think that is absurd then work to amend the Constitution.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

edited August 12
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Actually portable flame throwers are consider tools for clearing land, at least that's how they get away with selling them in my state. (Same excuse for fireworks sales btw, for scaring crows or what not)

That said, buying one is somewhat regulated much as the purchase of bulk quantities of silver nitrate, a person better have 10 acres being farmed or they likely will come under scrutiny. 

Interestingly enough, there is such a thing as flame thrower shot gun shells which are illegal here, same with shells which fire flechettes, bolos and other crazy ass ordinance.

We apparently want our killing done the "right way" with high powered armor piercing rounds or something.

as far as flame throwers go.

You are thinking something like a "Snap Dragon" or other brand name ground clearer that uses propane to burn crops and control vegetation growth, they also do a good job to heat tar roofs and the like. Those do have a direct civilian purpose, clearing land, construction, etc, and those style of "flamethrowers" are sold everywhere, you can go to Walmart and get those dirt cheap and 20 pounds of propane as well, but you can also buy military grade flamethrowers, even with napalm mixed with the accelerant (Where legal), which is a whole other level of burning shit down.

You can even buy military surplus flamethrowers, and historic ones that were used in war. 

As for fireworks, those rules vary by state, but are often regulated by the Fire Commission, due to the risk of causing uncontrolled fires and property damage. IE: They got tired of stupid people setting the neighborhood on fire every 4tjh of july, so a lot of fireworks are in fact limited or controlled. (and this varies by state... a LOT)

As for the ammunition you are talking about, those are called incendiary rounds, and they are still legal in some states and I think again.. outlawed in others due to the fire hazards they cause and nothing to do with how deadly they are.

This discussion has been closed.